White Sox call up Tyler Saladino

Balta1701

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 05:46 PM)
I thought Saladino looked at home defensively at 3rd today, I would much rather give him a serious chance at third for the next month or two.

Made a couple loud outs on hard hit balls. Eventually, those are going to find holes into the outfield.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like that Saladino has finally gotten his chance. He was ok today.

I'm hoping that he can stick and Bonifacio gets released. I liked the Bonifacio acquisition but he has been brutal. He's been a good clubhouse guy, I understand, but well.....we need more than good cheer from him.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 06:22 PM)
I like that Saladino has finally gotten his chance. He was ok today.

I'm hoping that he can stick and Bonifacio gets released. I liked the Bonifacio acquisition but he has been brutal. He's been a good clubhouse guy, I understand, but well.....we need more than good cheer from him.

Personally, I like Bonifacio's speed off the bench. I'd prefer Beckham or Gillaspie to be dfa'd first. Or Sanchez sent down.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 11, 2015 -> 12:35 AM)
None of the 3 balls he put in play were hit hard.

Agreed. He didn't hit the ball hard today.

Nothing in his background suggests he'll be much of anything in the bigs. I guess the only thing in his favor is he was a 7th round draft pick second itme around in the draft. But he's done very little in the minors to suggest he'll be anything but utility type player at best.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 11:58 PM)
Agreed. He didn't hit the ball hard today.

Nothing in his background suggests he'll be much of anything in the bigs. I guess the only thing in his favor is he was a 7th round draft pick second itme around in the draft. But he's done very little in the minors to suggest he'll be anything but utility type player at best.

3 seasons of an .800 OPS or above seems pretty legit to me. He deserves a chance.

Given our need for a right-handed bat, you have to think we'll end up seeing Matt Davidson at some point this year. Yeah yeah lots of strikeouts disappointing return for Reed, but he there's a decent chance he'll be a really nice option at 3B/DH to cover for those lefties. He ought to take some reps at 2B in MiLB as well

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 11, 2015 -> 02:05 AM)
I'd drop Gillaspie before I'd send Sanchez down.

Neither Gordo or Gillaspie will be released. Now maybe Conor gets traded or Bonifacio gets dfa or traded, but it won't be some off the wall move. I think we are seeing Saladino more for the fact we need another bat in a NL ruled park. More pinch hitting and such. I think Davidson was not brought up because he is playing in the minor league all-star game and the Sox respect that. Doesn't mean Saladino doesn't have a future with the team because he does but don't overreact and read too much into the move.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 11, 2015 -> 08:17 AM)
Given our need for a right-handed bat, you have to think we'll end up seeing Matt Davidson at some point this year. Yeah yeah lots of strikeouts disappointing return for Reed, but he there's a decent chance he'll be a really nice option at 3B/DH to cover for those lefties. He ought to take some reps at 2B in MiLB as well

Don't think he has the range or athleticism for 2B, from the MILB games/videos I've watched.

Not to mention the fact that adding another position for him to concern himself with seems like it could lead to yet another offensive setback. We already have plenty of utility guys growing on trees...the feeling is he either sticks full time at 3B/1B/DH or he doesn't make it at all.

Nice spark Saladino provided for the Sox and looks comfortable defensively at 3B. Really liked how he kept his head down and eye on the ball with that triple. Dude has better wheels than Beckham and Gillaspie. Hopefully we see more of him.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 11, 2015 -> 06:37 PM)
Nice spark Saladino provided for the Sox and looks comfortable defensively at 3B. Really liked how he kept his head down and eye on the ball with that triple. Dude has better wheels than Beckham and Gillaspie. Hopefully we see more of him.

100% agree. Have been very impressed so far. He may not have a ton of upside, but his defense & speed provide a nice floor at a position that is a huge weakness for us right now. I hope they give him a longer look than just this series against the Cubs. Worst case scenario, he's a valuable bench player who help against LHP.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 11, 2015 -> 06:45 PM)
100% agree. Have been very impressed so far. He may not have a ton of upside, but his defense & speed provide a nice floor at a position that is a huge weakness for us right now. I hope they give him a longer look than just this series against the Cubs. Worst case scenario, he's a valuable bench player who help against LHP.

Heck yeah! IIRC, the front office was bummed out when they found out he needed TJ surgery so maybe there's something there.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 01:34 AM)
If Saladino is here to stay, it'll be interesting to see who's dropped

If he's here to stay I'd release Conor. Beckham and Boni might be a little more useful than Conor.

IF Saladino is here to stay, the only player to get rid of would be Conor.

Beckham's glove is too valuable and Bonifacio can play anywhere & is the 2nd OF.

I'm not sure what to make of Tyler so far but he seems to have a better glove than Conor, slightly below avg speed and little to no power. With Beckham forgetting how to hit again, he may provide a better bat but all together, they can't afford another sub .200 bat.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 12:03 AM)
IF Saladino is here to stay, the only player to get rid of would be Conor.

Beckham's glove is too valuable and Bonifacio can play anywhere & is the 2nd OF.

I'm not sure what to make of Tyler so far but he seems to have a better glove than Conor, slightly below avg speed and little to no power. With Beckham forgetting how to hit again, he may provide a better bat but all together, they can't afford another sub .200 bat.

He actually has pretty solid wheels. His defense is already better than Conor's, he has a better arm, and the hits will come. Getting slotted in the 2 hole against 2 good pitchers in your first 2 games is no small task. He hasn't really looked overmatched IMO. He put a beautiful swing on his triple.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 07:51 AM)
So the plan is for him to go back down after the double header on friday? That would be a shame

I think it would be, too, cause he appears to be a slick fielder. He actually should have 3 hits, not one. I just wish they'd keep him and cut Conor. Sox fans have been so sickened by the defense, we actually like seeing the improved D of late.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 07:50 AM)
Bonifacio clearly should be dropped. He hasn't played much in 2 months. Gillespie can actually hit a little. Bonifacio isn't even a particularly good runner.

Yep. Bonafacio's .151 BA and questionable D bring nothing except for speed. Conor brings a LH bat with a little pop and could serve well to PH late in games. Beckham brings Defense, a little pop with a RH bat. The Sox already have Shuck as the 4th OF who plays nice D and has some pop. Boni is the odd man out. If the Sox need speed, Leury is just a call up away. Bye bye Boni.

Edited by BlackSox13