Gillaspie DFA'd; Albers called up

thedoctor

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 04:52 PM)
Defense at 3B is not a minor excuse. Yeah Connors bat is maybe slightly above replacement level, but his glove is so bad that you can't start him at 3B anymore. If you can't see that, I digress.

Boni has flexibility and Conor has none. I wouldn't have complained of it was Boni not Connor, but I understand the decision.

i can see that most, esp you are not looking at a possible other reason.

conor is 27, cost control, 1 yr remove from a good offensive yr. he is still considered as a possible young player who most teams would hold on to, to continuing his development and training at the mlb. so, either boni or conors going, i can see boni and given his salary and last yr performance, i would have seen a club giving his more chances to succeed.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 10:52 AM)
Defense at 3B is not a minor excuse. Yeah Connors bat is maybe slightly above replacement level, but his glove is so bad that you can't start him at 3B anymore. If you can't see that, I digress.

Boni has flexibility and Conor has none. I wouldn't have complained of it was Boni not Connor, but I understand the decision.

Flexible to do what? .360 OPS? Play below average defense at 3 positions? 1/5 in steal attempts? He isn't replacement value at a single thing.

Defense is important, but the Sox are paying high, high price for the defense they get from Sanchez and Beckham (and Bonifacio).

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 11:33 AM)
A deal would've been made if there was one out there.

I disagree

White Sox designated 3B Conor Gillaspie for assignment.

Gillaspie has had an awful season, batting just .237/.276/.364, and has been on the bench mostly of late with the White Sox going with Tyler Saladino and Gordon Beckham at third base. It's possible he'll draw some interest on waivers from a team in need of corner infield help, but Gillaspie really isn't starting material.

per Rotoworld

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 11:42 AM)
Flexible to do what? .360 OPS? Play below average defense at 3 positions? 1/5 in steal attempts? He isn't replacement value at a single thing.

Defense is important, but the Sox are paying high, high price for the defense they get from Sanchez and Beckham (and Bonifacio).

Play patty much anywhere on the diamond besides C/P. Not saying he is good at it. Look, I'm not defending Boni, I just said I understand the move even tho it wasn't the easy one to make.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 10:22 AM)
the bottom line is the unknown factor. conor's personality...... while there is no publish rpt, many can see how difficult of a person he was around the dugout and his interaction with other players.

i bet with his slump, that didn't help matters.

So there is no published report of anything remotely close to pointing to this being true, but you are going to say that it had something to do with him getting DFAed.

Ok then

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 11:29 AM)
Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think Gillaspie had the least trade value among Bonifacio and Beckham. Not that either one of those guys will bring back much, but 12 days from now, teams may find some value with Beckham and Bonifacio on their benches that Gillaspie doesn't have.

But they all could be gone by Aug 1.

My feeling was that Conor might have the most value because of those three, Conor's the one you'd most like to start. If you had a team like the 2012 White Sox that is dying for a starting 3B, Conor would be a nice option that you'd have to give up very little in order to get.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 08:12 AM)
Bummed for Connor. He was a pretty decent ball player for us the past two years. But the Sox need D at 3B, and that he cannot provide. He just didn't make sense on this roster any longer.

I'm like you. I liked Gillaspie. At times he hit pretty well but for whatever reason not so much this year. I liked the guy though; I wish him well. Now to get rid of Bonifacio who makes even less sense to still have around. Trayce Thompson makes more sense to me right now.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 02:49 PM)
I'm like you. I liked Gillaspie. At times he hit pretty well but for whatever reason not so much this year. I liked the guy though; I wish him well. Now to get rid of Bonifacio who makes even less sense to still have around. Trayce Thompson makes more sense to me right now.

Bah, let TT get some PAs. Sitting on the bench playing once every 2 weeks isn't a recipe for him to become a successful ballplayer.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 11:33 AM)
A deal would've been made if there was one out there.

A DFA allows you 10 days to trade, release or outright a player if I'm correct. So they could still trade him?

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 02:24 PM)
A DFA allows you 10 days to trade, release or outright a player if I'm correct. So they could still trade him?

Right but the point is that you're not exactly increasing a guys value by Designating him. If they could have gotten something useful, they probably would have already. But there is still a chance, yes.

Conor's defense reminded me of a bad college player. You never know when he simply was going to kick one or wave at a grounder or throw it away. He was OK last season as a hitter but not a big leaguer. I doubt anybody will pick him up except for AAA ball.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 03:37 PM)
Conor's defense reminded me of a bad college player. You never know when he simply was going to kick one or wave at a grounder or throw it away. He was OK last season as a hitter but not a big leaguer. I doubt anybody will pick him up except for AAA ball.

In terms of offense, he was 12th or 13th in MLB among 3rd basemen (there are 30 baseball teams). So not only a starting big league 3Bman, but better than average at hitting. His subpar defense dragged him down to a worse than average overall third basemen (half of all players are worse than average, that is what average means). Would have been better than average if they had started platooning him much earlier. I assume an NL team will pick him up.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 04:30 PM)
Still don't see why they didn't option him to Charlotte... Not that they need him or anything like that, but you never know. They have the space on the 40 man.

Pretty sure he's out of options? That's why SF traded him in the first place.