Sox have tried to sign Samardzija to a long term deal

Sockin

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 15, 2015 -> 11:57 PM)
Is it as shocking as people thought he was really good? I think wins can still define a pitcher. He has a losing record every year except for one. Look at Sale. He is on a bad team and he had one losing season. I look at Smarj's stats and where does it in any way say "big contract" or ace. What separates and ace is the team and fans feel more confident of a victory. But Q destroys this theory. If he were pitching for a team that produces runs - 15 game winner, Sale 17 game winner.

The title of this one hurts.

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/contin...amardzija-trade

Guys can we please stop pretending that we KNEW s*** ALL ALONG? Samardzija has had a s***ty year that no one should have predicted, even if you didn't like the original acquisition. You're all lying if you claim you knew he would be this bad.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 09:17 AM)
Guys can we please stop pretending that we KNEW s*** ALL ALONG? Samardzija has had a s***ty year that no one should have predicted, even if you didn't like the original acquisition. You're all lying if you claim you knew he would be this bad.

If people knew he would be this bad or even close to it, the White Sox acquire Samardzija thread would have had a much different tone. I do think some thought he was overrated, and didn't buy all the hype. But you are right, there is no way anyone could have thought he would be this bad.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 03:13 PM)
I think the going through the motions isn't accurate. I will give him competitiveness, and the fact is, he is still pitching for a new contract. It makes no sense that he would basically pack it in right now. He is just lost on the mound, and I guess that makes it look like he's not trying, but it would make zero sense from a lot of perspectives for him not to be fully engaged.

you know, you may be right.... it is my opinion for any other ideas at this time.

however, look at the bold, this is my point though.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 03:17 PM)

very true. i never posted my displeasure about this trade, but i have a witness when the 2 of us talked shiite about this trade and of shark.

but any sox fans has to be cheering for the sox..... all the way til the end of the season. i love a draft, but i still want my sox team to win, period.

Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst 1h1 hour ago

Jeff Samardzija has joined Brett Tomko (2003) & Jaime Navarro (1997) as only pitchers in last 50 years to give up 9+ ER 3 times in one year

He said the magic words - Jaime Navarro!

I still think making a QO is a no-brainer, but he is doing everything he can to change my mind.

Sad that the only given is that every five games we get another chance to blast the Smard. trade. The Shark with NO Teeth. No one could have predicted this and it is extremely disappointing. There has got to be some logical answer for his implosion and I think it is some type of injury. But, that might be my softer side talking and refusing to admit he just sucks right now

QUOTE (shysocks @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 03:38 PM)
Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst 1h1 hour ago

Jeff Samardzija has joined Brett Tomko (2003) & Jaime Navarro (1997) as only pitchers in last 50 years to give up 9+ ER 3 times in one year

He said the magic words - Jaime Navarro!

I still think making a QO is a no-brainer, but he is doing everything he can to change my mind.

I think the other stat was he has lost nine straight home starts and is the first Sox pitcher to do that since Tommy John did it in 1969. His ERA is like almost 9.00 at home in that stretch

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 09:17 AM)

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 09:39 AM)
If people knew he would be this bad or even close to it, the White Sox acquire Samardzija thread would have had a much different tone. I do think some thought he was overrated, and didn't buy all the hype. But you are right, there is no way anyone could have thought he would be this bad.

Gentleman, you are both correct. I was very much against the idea of trading for Samardzija last November before the trade happened but I would never have guessed he would have such a bad year and honestly thought he would pitch just fine for the Sox once the trade was made. I don't think anyone in baseball could have guessed he would have such a bad year, a regression maybe but not to the epic proportions we have witnessed this year. It is what it is and its time to move on.

Gotta imagine the Sox will still give the QO, but at this point there is some risk there.

On the flip side, Shark seems checked out. I think he should be done for the year.

If he decides to accept the QO (which I still doubt), he better come back hungry next year or he's going to find himself out of baseball pretty quick (or playing for a few million bucks in 2017).

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 11:32 AM)
Gotta imagine the Sox will still give the QO, but at this point there is some risk there.

On the flip side, Shark seems checked out. I think he should be done for the year.

If he decides to accept the QO (which I still doubt), he better come back hungry next year or he's going to find himself out of baseball pretty quick (or playing for a few million bucks in 2017).

I think the risk is very small. Why would Samardzija think next year would be any better for him in the same situation? Someone will pay him a decent wage. Another year like this next year, and he wouldn't get much more than $5 million guaranteed, if that. This obviously isn't the place for him, and I would think he and his agent know that more than anyone.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 15, 2015 -> 07:26 PM)
if you go back to the Scott Kazmir trade thread there's a large contingent of people who explained to me that Samardzija should be more valued than Kazmir because he's more reliable historically and you'd probably want Samardzija pitching if you had the choice for 1 game.

Are you kidding me. I stand by what was said at that time. You were also touting Cueto as being the best guy too...well you know what, just like Shark, he's sucked too. No one saw Shark being as bad as he's been (just like no one saw Cueto falling apart). I stick behind everything I said at the time and given the circumstances, I'd have been very surprised if we couldn't have gotten at a minimum, a similar price as Kazmir, if not slightly more. Had the Sox traded Shark a little earlier (before we went on that mini run), we'd have gotten even more value as the market was devoid of pitching at that time.

Easy to make that statement today after Shark has been a complete turd...but lets not pretend that Shark wasn't coming off an extremely strong run of pitching performances when we were dangling him on that market.

Keeping him at the deadline was the right decision. Look at the Indians even today, 20 games left, sitting at one under .500, and like 5 games out. Still sadly doable.

When I look back at this season, even with the poor defense, even with the poor offense early, I still peg this season on Shark. If he does his job like he did last year, there is no doubt in my mind we have 5-7 more victories. Let's call it 6 -- we'd be 74-69, 2 games out of the playoffs.

Sale did his job, Danks did his job (I looked back at his stats, he realistically gave us a chance to win in 17 of 27 starts), Rodon exceeded expectations for me, and Q was solid as usual. The bullpen was what I expected, greatly improved. The offense, although it sputtered, ultimately didn't do entirely much worse than I figured (2B and 3B didn't meet my expectations), the defense was on par with what I thought, though a bit worse (beginning of the season hurt, also the OF is a problem now and going forward IMO). So in the end I blame it solely on two guys. LaRoche and Shark.

I don't even call it worst case scenario, but I'd give QO to Shark, if he takes it, so be it. He should, in reality, be a very solid 4 on this team next year if he wants a re-do before another FA try. I'd do another year with this rotation. I don't think he takes it, and I think he winds up with a 4-5 yr deal similar to Ervin Santana. I'm calling a 4year, $56mm deal.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 04:09 PM)
Gentleman, you are both correct. I was very much against the idea of trading for Samardzija last November before the trade happened but I would never have guessed he would have such a bad year and honestly thought he would pitch just fine for the Sox once the trade was made. I don't think anyone in baseball could have guessed he would have such a bad year, a regression maybe but not to the epic proportions we have witnessed this year. It is what it is and its time to move on.

excellent. point.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 12:43 PM)
Keeping him at the deadline was the right decision. Look at the Indians even today, 20 games left, sitting at one under .500, and like 5 games out. Still sadly doable.

When I look back at this season, even with the poor defense, even with the poor offense early, I still peg this season on Shark. If he does his job like he did last year, there is no doubt in my mind we have 5-7 more victories. Let's call it 6 -- we'd be 74-69, 2 games out of the playoffs.

Sale did his job, Danks did his job (I looked back at his stats, he realistically gave us a chance to win in 17 of 27 starts), Rodon exceeded expectations for me, and Q was solid as usual. The bullpen was what I expected, greatly improved. The offense, although it sputtered, ultimately didn't do entirely much worse than I figured (2B and 3B didn't meet my expectations), the defense was on par with what I thought, though a bit worse (beginning of the season hurt, also the OF is a problem now and going forward IMO). So in the end I blame it solely on two guys. LaRoche and Shark.

I don't even call it worst case scenario, but I'd give QO to Shark, if he takes it, so be it. He should, in reality, be a very solid 4 on this team next year if he wants a re-do before another FA try. I'd do another year with this rotation. I don't think he takes it, and I think he winds up with a 4-5 yr deal similar to Ervin Santana. I'm calling a 4year, $56mm deal.

I totally agree. Laroche being an automatic out in the heart of the order killed in-game momentum through July. Rallies were not possible with him in the lineup. And once Robin started benching him and we got some momentum...Shark absolutely buried us. He peed his pants the minute the WC became attainable. Well said. 2 horrible seasons. I feel bad for RH & KW. It looked pretty solid before the season.

The funny thing is Samardizja's own performance since the deadline is one big thing that killed the White sox. If he was just average, they probably are over .500.

I don't see how you can blame the White Sox for thinking he should at least be average the rest of the season.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 01:22 PM)
The funny thing is Samardizja's own performance since the deadline is one big thing that killed the White sox. If he was just average, they probably are over .500.

I see what you're doing there, but Ventura and the coaching staff still need to go.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 01:23 PM)
I see what you're doing there, but Ventura and the coaching staff still need to go.

What I am doing is stating fact.

If he pitched average, the team would still be in contention for a WC spot. That really isn't a crazy assumption on July 31st. I am pretty sure if they knew he would be this bad, they would have taken a bag of balls for him, but I think it shows their logic for holding on to him coupled with the reports of fairly weak offers, was pretty sound.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 01:26 PM)
What I am doing is stating fact.

If he pitched average, the team would still be in contention for a WC spot. That really isn't a crazy assumption on July 31st. I am pretty sure if they knew he would be this bad, they would have taken a bag of balls for him, but I think it shows their logic for holding on to him coupled with the reports of fairly weak offers, was pretty sound.

I don't have a problem with the Sox hanging on to him at the deadline, but I'm not putting it on Samardzija for the Sox not contending this season or even in the second half. The problem is deeper than the players.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 01:35 PM)
I don't have a problem with the Sox hanging on to him at the deadline, but I'm not putting it on Samardzija for the Sox not contending this season or even in the second half. The problem is deeper than the players.

Since the deadline he is 1-8 with a 9.24 ERA, in 9 starts. That gets a lot of pitchers a new line of work.

If you don't want to give him any blame, giving anyone any blame is silly.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 12:57 AM)
Is it as shocking as people thought he was really good? I think wins can still define a pitcher. He has a losing record every year except for one. Look at Sale. He is on a bad team and he had one losing season. I look at Smarj's stats and where does it in any way say "big contract" or ace. What separates and ace is the team and fans feel more confident of a victory. But Q destroys this theory. If he were pitching for a team that produces runs - 15 game winner, Sale 17 game winner.

The title of this one hurts.

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/contin...amardzija-trade

Samardzija pitched for the Cubs when they couldn't score him runs. He was an excellent pitcher last year. What he's done this year is not indicative of what kind of pitcher he was before.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 03:13 PM)
Samardzija pitched for the Cubs when they couldn't score him runs. He was an excellent pitcher last year. What he's done this year is not indicative of what kind of pitcher he was before.

He has an ERA of nearly 6.00 when the Sox score him at least 6 runs. So even that isn't an excuse this year. He's never been as great as the hype, that is just fact. But he can't possibly be as bad as he's been his last 9 starts. It's not like he's throwing 85. He has just been way too hittable. His locations are horrible.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 02:17 PM)
He has an ERA of nearly 6.00 when the Sox score him at least 6 runs. So even that isn't an excuse this year. He's never been as great as the hype, that is just fact. But he can't possibly be as bad as he's been his last 9 starts. It's not like he's throwing 85. He has just been way too hittable. His locations are horrible.

Career stats seem to say that.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 02:13 PM)

Anyone can have a great year. See Francisco Barrios.