Potential Ventura replacements

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 10:56 PM)
The team's lease on the ballpark runs through 2029. Between the deal with the TV network and the sweetheart deals that the ownership group got for the ballpark, including the revenue from parking, they're going to be in Chicago at least until that point. That's so far in the future it's impossible to predict how things will evolve in terms of financing options for new buildings, growth in other parts of the country, etc. 5 years ago no one would have predicted the kind of insane TV money deals that are commonplace now, just to show how rapidly the economics are changing.

i know that the org has to honor contracts and commitments, but with vending contracts, i thought the new owner may have a chance to move, if so desired. meaning out of state.

the 2 arz teams, football and baseball. tpa looking for a new location.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 12:35 AM)
Terry Bevington as manager, Oney Guillen for bench coach, Jaime Navarro for pitching coach, Joe Borchard for hitting coach and Mike Caruso for base running coach.

:lol:

where is the green.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 07:16 AM)
Let's hear some names. I'll start with some obvious ones that'll get tossed around:

1. Ozzie Guillen- His .524 winning percentage with the Sox is a lot better than Ventura's. Left on bad terms though.

2. Dave Martinez- The next great manager according to everyone but the 30 GMs running teams. Worrisome that he hasn't been hired yet, particularly by the Rays.

3. Joe McEwing- Perennial managerial and been with the Sox awhile now. Good 3rd base coach outside whatever the f*** 2 nights ago was.

4. Sandy Alomar Jr- The coveted catcher to manager move. Being groomed as a manager by the Indians. Obvious Sox ties.

5. Joey Cora- Key part of the Guillen "glory days" but without the shenanigans. Vanderbilt educated.

So why are these people not appealing to other teams?

here is a wild arse statement.

would the new ownership keep the team in chi???

It's smart philosophy around these parts to not want to pay players for past performance. Seasoned managers like Gardenhire are washed-up, out of touch, etc. So, I'm seriously wondering why a 60 year old guy who has been around the block several times, has made his money and hasn't necessarily shown any apptitude for new philosophies in player evaluation other than carrying his owner's checkbook around for the past nine years, would be the savior of this franchise. The trend in GM hiring seems in CHC, Boston, SD, etc is to hire guys in their early 30s.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 01:16 PM)
Let's hear some names. I'll start with some obvious ones that'll get tossed around:

1. Ozzie Guillen- His .524 winning percentage with the Sox is a lot better than Ventura's. Left on bad terms though.

2. Dave Martinez- The next great manager according to everyone but the 30 GMs running teams. Worrisome that he hasn't been hired yet, particularly by the Rays.

3. Joe McEwing- Perennial managerial and been with the Sox awhile now. Good 3rd base coach outside whatever the f*** 2 nights ago was.

4. Sandy Alomar Jr- The coveted catcher to manager move. Being groomed as a manager by the Indians. Obvious Sox ties.

5. Joey Cora- Key part of the Guillen "glory days" but without the shenanigans. Vanderbilt educated.

Of course I want Ozzie, but I'm saying that's not even a consideration. No way on McEwing. That last decision on the basepaths makes people think he's a total clown, right or wrong. I'd say Alomar or Gardenhire if Leyland won't do it.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 02:13 PM)
Gah. The crusty old man? I'd much rather get someone younger and more in tune with where baseball is headed.

Actually an old guy might be good. How old is Bobby Cox?

QUOTE (Brian26 @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 08:06 PM)
It's smart philosophy around these parts to not want to pay players for past performance. Seasoned managers like Gardenhire are washed-up, out of touch, etc. So, I'm seriously wondering why a 60 year old guy who has been around the block several times, has made his money and hasn't necessarily shown any apptitude for new philosophies in player evaluation other than carrying his owner's checkbook around for the past nine years, would be the savior of this franchise. The trend in GM hiring seems in CHC, Boston, SD, etc is to hire guys in their early 30s.

I can't really find much logic in this.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 08:15 PM)
Someone that can have this team ready for '16. Fundamentally sound and not make brutal win costing decisions. Someone that can get the most out of these guys. I like Gardenhire as Robins replacement. I know Minnesota has sucked his past few seasons but he hasn't had the best teams. I just want Robin gone. I really do doubt that he's gone after the year.

If this team finishes 5-10 below .500 (there's still a lot of games left to define our final record; I'd suspect the Royals series will spiral the Sox to 10 under very soon) Robin just has to go. Simply for the reason we'll be starting the next season again waiting for bad things to happen. He's been here so long that IF we do finish 10-15 below .500 there's going to be a doomsday atmosphere starting Opening Day next year. It's all up to Robin but if the team really goes in the tank, he has to go. He just has to.

Can't we steal a veteran manager from another team?? I want an old stodgy veteran this time. Assuming no Ozzie.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 06:56 PM)
The team's lease on the ballpark runs through 2029. Between the deal with the TV network and the sweetheart deals that the ownership group got for the ballpark, including the revenue from parking, they're going to be in Chicago at least until that point. That's so far in the future it's impossible to predict how things will evolve in terms of financing options for new buildings, growth in other parts of the country, etc. 5 years ago no one would have predicted the kind of insane TV money deals that are commonplace now, just to show how rapidly the economics are changing.

But Havana businessmen will want to buy a team and move it to Cuba where they will all get many sweetheart deals. Their attendance will boom.

I can't really find much logic in this.

Try a little harder. I'm asking why, if Gardenhire is too crusty and out-of-touch to manage a team, Dombrowski is not too out-of-touch and antiquated to general manage a team? By the way, I'm not saying I side that way. I'm seeing a fundamental flaw philosophically though in the general thought process here. The irony is that Dombrowski is now three years older than Roland when the Sox found him too out-of-touch and antiquated to GM in 1985.

As long as KW is here, Robin Ventura will be the manager. C'mon guys he has made progress since 2012!

2012- 85-77 (September collapse)

2013- 63-99 (Hmm quite a bit of a drop off!)

2014- 73-89 After adding Abreu, Eaton and Garcia

2015- 78-84 (Projected final record according to win percentage)

In a year where you add 5 key free agents which sacrificed draft picks and add a #2 starting pitcher, you only will likely improve by 5 games? Something is wrong here. Only in the White Sox organization you can have three straight losing seasons and keep your managerial job. Only in the White Sox organization you can have three straight losing seasons and keep your President of White Sox operations job and GM job etc.

How will they spin it? I can see the quotes now. "If you look over the past three seasons, we have improved gradually and the arrow is pointing up. There is no point to panic and point fingers. Our job is to put the best product on the field and to obtain talent so we can have a period of sustained success. " Yadayadayada... same old bullcrap! You have all FAILED! Do you your job and get a real manager. As of right now I have zero faith that they will fire Robin. I have zero faith that KW or Hahn will go anywhere. I have zero faith they will make the best decisions for this club long term under JR. I really hope they prove me wrong.... I just can't see that happening.

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 10:51 PM)
As long as KW is here, Robin Ventura will be the manager. C'mon guys he has made progress since 2012!

2012- 85-77 (September collapse)

2013- 63-99 (Hmm quite a bit of a drop off!)

2014- 73-89 After adding Abreu, Eaton and Garcia

2015- 78-84 (Projected final record according to win percentage)

In a year where you add 5 key free agents which sacrificed draft picks and add a #2 starting pitcher, you only will likely improve by 5 games? Something is wrong here. Only in the White Sox organization you can have three straight losing seasons and keep your managerial job. Only in the White Sox organization you can have three straight losing seasons and keep your President of White Sox operations job and GM job etc.

How will they spin it? I can see the quotes now. "If you look over the past three seasons, we have improved gradually and the arrow is pointing up. There is no point to panic and point fingers. Our job is to put the best product on the field and to obtain talent so we can have a period of sustained success. " Yadayadayada... same old bullcrap! You have all FAILED! Do you your job and get a real manager. As of right now I have zero faith that they will fire Robin. I have zero faith that KW or Hahn will go anywhere. I have zero faith they will make the best decisions for this club long term under JR. I really hope they prove me wrong.... I just can't see that happening.

I think Robin is a laughingstock in baseball. Everybody knows he has no business managing. Case in point: Hawk never goes out of his way to support Robin, never. He doesn't ever hint he should be fired, but often says the Sox "have the talent." I can't prove it, but Hawk knows Robin is substandard. He gawn after this season.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 02:07 AM)
I think Robin is a laughingstock in baseball. Everybody knows he has no business managing. Case in point: Hawk never goes out of his way to support Robin, never. He doesn't ever hint he should be fired, but often says the Sox "have the talent." I can't prove it, but Hawk knows Robin is substandard. He gawn after this season.

Robin and Matt Williams should go hang out next season in the "very good 3b but awful manager" suite.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 08:57 PM)
Particularly at start of the season. A little bit better now, not enough.

There's no urgency to the Sox in spring training, didn't have under Ozzie and that continues under Robin. Ozzie publicly said spring training was a "joke."

Sox were brutal the last 10 days of spring training this year capped off by Charlotte scoring double figures on Danks.

Flat and lifeless on opening day...flat and lifeless for the home opener.

How can any player be that way on those two days is beyond me.

That's DIRECTLY on Ventura and his staff.

Mark

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 09:15 PM)
The thing with Robin is that he's done absolutely nothing in his time as Sox manager to deserve another year after this. The ideal scenario would be a Dombrowski/Bud Black combo to take over for Hahn/Ventura, but we could never get so lucky.

I know right. There's just no way they keep him. The fans can't stand him and know he sucks. We'll never hire DD back. As for he next manager, who knows. I just want him gone. What's the word on Sandy Alomar Jr.? Isn't he supposed to be up for jobs? There's others like Dave Martinez and some up and comers.

I said screw it and hired Sandy on MLB 15 lol. Having a night drinking and revamping the sox. Just got Puig and signed Wieters.

Edited by SouthSideSale