2015-2016 NBA Thread

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 02:51 PM)
Yes, Jerry Reinsdorf. Gar wanted Lawrence Frank.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 02:54 PM)
Pax wanted Doug Collins and Gar wanted Brown / Frank.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/john-pa...ibodeau-report/

The same group of guys that said they had to get rid of Thibs to they can have more cohesion as a group.

They are beyond a joke when it comes to management. Great "basketball guys" but absolute train wrecks of managers.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 01:20 PM)
I know everyone wants to blast them for the Thibs debable, but let's not forget who gave him his first head coaching job when no one else would.

That actually was reinsdorf. Gar wanted to bring in Lawrence Frank and Mike Brown. Jerry went over Pax and Gar and hired Thibs.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 03:17 PM)
The same group of guys that said they had to get rid of Thibs to they can have more cohesion as a group.

They are beyond a joke when it comes to management. Great "basketball guys" but absolute train wrecks of managers.

I like Pax, but his work hasn't produced what was hoped, and getting physical with VDN was really out of line. If he left, no big loss. Gar has to go now. He a pox on the organization. Point taken on the coaching choices and their reason to dump Thibs not exactly lining up.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 12:55 PM)
Gar is an ass, but I do think he has a pretty good eye for talent. He might not be perfect, but every guy will miss from time to time and while we can point to some of the Bulls misses, they have historically been one of the better drafting teams under Pax / Gar, especially when you consider where they were typically picking. Gar has plenty of issues, but I think from a pure talent evaluation perspective, I like him over Hinkie. Supposedly Hinkie has trouble working with people (not sure how much is true vs. Jerry Collangelo driving that wedge) and I think like Gar, both are best suited in a more assistant capacity than a true GM. Hinkie would great to have in Chicago (but not as a GM). Would love his analytical mind as I think it is a valuable resource that would go great with a GM who appreciates the analytics but also has an adapt eye for talent and a strong ability to work with others.

Honestly, I really wonder if we see Hoiberg move to the front office. Would be curious if he'd do it. Or whether Doug Collins would still be willing to take an assistant role to help Hoiberg? Either way, I really hope we see at least some sort of shakeup in the front office (it is imperative, imo).

Gar is a huge ass. I wish Shirley never took down the article on him. Basically a weasel who will do whatever it is to get ahead, but he knows how to kiss the babies. Bulls actually have just an OK drafting record since Gar was given a prominent voice in the FO. After Matt Lloyd left, it's been over with though. I don't want Gar or any other New Mexico or Iowa cronies in this organization any further. And I want Paxson gone if he can't handle the media and day to day with drafting. As for Hoiberg, I don't think he's an NBA level coach and his only experience in a FO is for that of a failed FO that was terrible. No thanks.

Here are some Gar highlights for drafting.

Paxson wanted LaMarcus Aldridge, Gar heavily pushed for Tyrus Thomas. Was so giddy about him, he convinced the whole FO including Jerry, Tyrus was thee guy. Bulls picked LMA, then traded him for Tyrus.

Picked James Johnson over Jeff Teague, Ty Lawson and Jrue Holiday. Lloyd had advised into drafting Taj Gibson, DeMarre Carroll or DeJuan Blair. Pax gave Gar the Johnson pick and in turn he took Taj for the 2nd pick.

2010 they avoided their pick to attract big FA. Gar's idea. I'll give him props for that because it was the right move.

2011 Jimmy Butler - Last pick evaluated by Matt Lloyd before he was let go to the Orlando Magic. Gar went with it. Good pick.

2012 Marquis Teague - This is the move Ron Adams was let go over. Adams and Thibs savored over Draymond Green. When he was there with their pick, they both were giddy. For those two, it was either Green or Crowder. They loved Butler, and they had Deng, so they felt Green was by far the target. They were led to believe that was the case with the FO as well. Going into the draft, they felt everyone was on the same page. Once it came to their pick, Gar wanted Teague. Gar and the Bulls really didn't scout Teague at all. I don't even remember them bringing him in for a workout. Thibs argued this would be a big mistake. Ron Adams got loud over it and started telling Gar this was a stupid move. Once Gar called it in, Adams erupted because Gar wasn't trying to help build a team together, didn't care about system, he just wanted to be right. At this point in time, Thibs and Adams felt Gar was truly becoming an asshole and when they saw his cards. Gar told Adams if he didn't like it, too bad. It's my way or the highway. Adams was let go, Thibs became super pissed and the rift that tore Thibs and the Bulls apart became a tear here.

2013 Tony Snell - Another Gar pick. Thibs after the previous year, honestly stopped caring about giving his opinion on it. He wanted Dieng, but he pretty much was indifferent because of what transpired over the past year. Paxson wanted Dieng or Plumlee. Snell was drafted because of his connections with New Mexico.

2014 Doug McDermott - It hasn't worked out. I won't put the pick on Gar. There were others that I liked, but I did love McDermott coming out. Paxson and Thibs did too. Giving up those picks though, wasn't a bright idea.

2015 Bobby Portis - Incomplete. Shows flashes of being competent and could be a rotation player, but he's not a starter and leaves a lot to be desired.

And as far as Hinkie, the 2014 draft was 3 stud players and everyone else fell in line. Embiid, even with the injury issues was the best player by far at that position and the only reason he fell to 3 was because Cleveland was scared off of the injury issues. Prior, they had him #1 on the board. Milwaukee always wanted someone they could sell to the franchise so it was going to be Wiggins or Parker.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 09:47 PM)
Gar is a huge ass. I wish Shirley never took down the article on him. Basically a weasel who will do whatever it is to get ahead, but he knows how to kiss the babies. Bulls actually have just an OK drafting record since Gar was given a prominent voice in the FO. After Matt Lloyd left, it's been over with though. I don't want Gar or any other New Mexico or Iowa cronies in this organization any further. And I want Paxson gone if he can't handle the media and day to day with drafting. As for Hoiberg, I don't think he's an NBA level coach and his only experience in a FO is for that of a failed FO that was terrible. No thanks.

Here are some Gar highlights for drafting.

Paxson wanted LaMarcus Aldridge, Gar heavily pushed for Tyrus Thomas. Was so giddy about him, he convinced the whole FO including Jerry, Tyrus was thee guy. Bulls picked LMA, then traded him for Tyrus.

Picked James Johnson over Jeff Teague, Ty Lawson and Jrue Holiday. Lloyd had advised into drafting Taj Gibson, DeMarre Carroll or DeJuan Blair. Pax gave Gar the Johnson pick and in turn he took Taj for the 2nd pick.

2010 they avoided their pick to attract big FA. Gar's idea. I'll give him props for that because it was the right move.

2011 Jimmy Butler - Last pick evaluated by Matt Lloyd before he was let go to the Orlando Magic. Gar went with it. Good pick.

2012 Marquis Teague - This is the move Ron Adams was let go over. Adams and Thibs savored over Draymond Green. When he was there with their pick, they both were giddy. For those two, it was either Green or Crowder. They loved Butler, and they had Deng, so they felt Green was by far the target. They were led to believe that was the case with the FO as well. Going into the draft, they felt everyone was on the same page. Once it came to their pick, Gar wanted Teague. Gar and the Bulls really didn't scout Teague at all. I don't even remember them bringing him in for a workout. Thibs argued this would be a big mistake. Ron Adams got loud over it and started telling Gar this was a stupid move. Once Gar called it in, Adams erupted because Gar wasn't trying to help build a team together, didn't care about system, he just wanted to be right. At this point in time, Thibs and Adams felt Gar was truly becoming an asshole and when they saw his cards. Gar told Adams if he didn't like it, too bad. It's my way or the highway. Adams was let go, Thibs became super pissed and the rift that tore Thibs and the Bulls apart became a tear here.

2013 Tony Snell - Another Gar pick. Thibs after the previous year, honestly stopped caring about giving his opinion on it. He wanted Dieng, but he pretty much was indifferent because of what transpired over the past year. Paxson wanted Dieng or Plumlee. Snell was drafted because of his connections with New Mexico.

2014 Doug McDermott - It hasn't worked out. I won't put the pick on Gar. There were others that I liked, but I did love McDermott coming out. Paxson and Thibs did too. Giving up those picks though, wasn't a bright idea.

2015 Bobby Portis - Incomplete. Shows flashes of being competent and could be a rotation player, but he's not a starter and leaves a lot to be desired.

And as far as Hinkie, the 2014 draft was 3 stud players and everyone else fell in line. Embiid, even with the injury issues was the best player by far at that position and the only reason he fell to 3 was because Cleveland was scared off of the injury issues. Prior, they had him #1 on the board. Milwaukee always wanted someone they could sell to the franchise so it was going to be Wiggins or Parker.

excellent narrative and very complete.

this must have took you some time to do. it is appreciated.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Apr 9, 2016 -> 05:27 PM)
Holberg played a Dumb & Dumber clip to the team this morning. The clip of "you mean there's still a chance"

and he expects this to work???

this is the kind of thing a hs coach will do, a college coach will do.....

this sounds like a lame thing to do.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Apr 9, 2016 -> 11:27 AM)
Holberg played a Dumb & Dumber clip to the team this morning. The clip of "you mean there's still a chance"

They have to go 3-0 (including games vs. CLE and MEM) and Indiana has to go 0-3. Ok, Hoiberg.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Apr 9, 2016 -> 05:58 PM)
we're doomed

Bulls' free agent focus seems to be shifting to Joakim Noah over Pau Gasol

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baske...0408-story.html

General manager Gar Forman, who won the internal debate to keep Gasol :(

well, i like the move in more ways than one. but the main thing, noah believes in the bulls and will do what is needed. i like the fact that pau played thru with swollen knees , that too show commitment to the bulls, but i trust noah a little more.

now, gar was mentioned, i don't know, but he was mention alot. does this mean he is still here next season????

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Apr 9, 2016 -> 09:30 PM)
And the Warriors get away with multiple blatant fouls to protect their lead. That win goes to the refs.

Didn't see the game. Though I'll concede Green does get away with a lot. Anyway, I wanted the Warriors to win tonight. The Warriors/Spurs game tomorrow is EXTREMELY interesting now. We know the Warriors want and our going for the record. How much does Pop and company want to deny them and how much do they want to go 41-0 at home? Interesting stuff.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 9, 2016 -> 10:08 PM)
Didn't see the game. Though I'll concede Green does get away with a lot. Anyway, I wanted the Warriors to win tonight. The Warriors/Spurs game tomorrow is EXTREMELY interesting now. We know the Warriors want and our going for the record. How much does Pop and company want to deny them and how much do they want to go 41-0 at home? Interesting stuff.

I am pretty confident Spurs will take it. Second night of a back to back for Warrios and Spurs have been incredible at home this year. No way they come this far to a perfect season at home and then bend over to their rivals right before the playoffs.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Apr 9, 2016 -> 11:40 PM)
I am pretty confident Spurs will take it. Second night of a back to back for Warrios and Spurs have been incredible at home this year. No way they come this far to a perfect season at home and then bend over to their rivals right before the playoffs.

I hope that's the case. Pop is a GREAT coach, obviously. But he's stubborn. He cost the Spurs HC last year because he was dead-set on resting guys the last week of the season. And if the Warriors do win, I want them to have earned it.

So the Bulls shifting focus from Noah to Gasol might be signs of an internal rift. KC wrote that there was an internal fight over trading Gasol at the deadline and Gar won the debate.

Noah is a Pax guy.

So my guess is Gar gets shown the door this offseason. Hoiberg promoted to GM, Thibs hired as head coach.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 10, 2016 -> 01:39 AM)
Why do we want Jo or Pau?

It won't happen. But I wouldn't mind Pau at all as a sixth man. Kinda like what the Thunder have done with Kanter (though the contract they signed him to is deplorable). It's neutralizes his defensive ineptitude. Kanter is god-like offensively and on the boards, much like Gasol. Keep his minutes contained, as he's gonna tear apart most teams second units.. Gasol, even at his age, would thrive just as Kanter has. But Gasol would never go for that and i'm sure wants one more big payday before calling it quits. As for Noah? That's pure emotion right there. Makes me sick. Noah has been crap since Nene/Gortat toasted his ass in the '14 playoffs.