2015-2016 NBA Thread

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 08:11 AM)
Ok, so let's talk about Jimmy Butler. For whatever reason, he's not being recognized as the complete stud he is. I'm actually trying to come up with the reasons that both the national and local media aren't talking about Jimmy Butler enough. Here's my best attempt to explain.

- DERRICK ROSE: A huge majority of Chicago still wants him to be the man. So anything Butler does is just looked at as "sidekick" work for when Rose comes back to being great. The national media cannot get past the downfall of Rose and would rather use that storyline than the rise of Jimmy Butler

- JOAKIM NOAH: Just watch the highlights in the clip a few posts above to see what I'm about to talk about - Jo doesn't want Jimmy to be the man. Jo's bench role coupled with the downfall of Derrick is killing him. See how the entire bench goes bananas for Butler all game and Jo stands there, stoic, expressionless, with the rage building inside of him. He misses the glory days of his "little brother", the youngest MVP in league history, and his playing 40+ minutes per game. He does not want a changing of the guard.

- THE NBA F*CKED UP: Jimmy Butler went at the end of the first round. He is now a top 5 NBA player. There, I said it, Jimmy Butler is a top 5 NBA player. The NBA, the talking heads, and all the experts will never see Jimmy as a guy performing at or above other guys taken in the top 10 of the NBA Draft year in and year out. The Top 5 are:

1. LeBron James

2. Kevin Durant

3. Steph Curry (I don't want to hear it)

4. Kawhi Leonard

5. Jimmy Butler

I also don't want to hear about AD until he actually factors in W/L's, and I don't want to hear about Russell Westbrook because he's a sidekick who shoots a low percentage.

- USAGE RATE: Jimmy Butler's usage rate falls well below the above studs mostly because when Derrick's on the floor, he hogs the ball. A man of his talents should NOT be 41st in the East in usage rate. But he has a f***ing BALL HOG on his roster who his spineless coach runs the offense through when he decides to actually suit up. Derrick's usage rate is 31st in the NBA.

Derrick Rose: 250th in PER, 31st in Usage Rate

Jimmy Butler: 17th in PER, 41st in Usage Rate

Makes a ton of sense, right? Nope. Players with a higher usage rate than Jimmy freaking Butler include: Dennis Schroder, Reggie Jackson, Isaiah Thomas, DeMar DeRozan, Derrick Rose, Marreese Speights, Emmannuel Mudiay, Zack LaVine, Brandon Knight, Jeff Teague, Alec Burks, Markieff Morris, Nikola Vucevic, Trey Burke... need I go on?

The only guy on the PER list above Jimmy with a lower usage rate is a center who can't handle the ball (Hassan Whiteside) whose PER is boosted by 4+ blocks per game.

So, in summary, as long as Derrick's worthless ass is on this roster, Jimmy won't get the usage or respect he truly deserves as a superstar in this league.

Oh, and Fred Hoiberg is a dunce.

I agree with point number 1, but strongly disagree with the 3rd point. Remember Gilbert Arenas? He was one of the biggest stars in the league 10 years ago. I don't think the NBA purposely limits the market potential of its players, especially a players from a market like the Bulls.

The issue is like you mention, Rose was the man here for so long, and also Jimmy just isn't the flashiest player, doesn't produce ridiculous stat lines until recently, nor does he make the most headlines off the court. I also think team success has a lot to do with. All 4 players you mentioned have lead their teams to the finals, and have won MVP's or Finals MVP's.

Jimmy is definitely viewed as one of the best players in the league to the hardcore fans, but without playing on the biggest stage, the flashy highlights and stats, making headlines off the court, and having to share the spotlight with Rose limits Jimmy's exposure to the casual fans. I think his star is trending upward though, and with the big explosions like the one in Philly, he should quickly have the attention of even the casual observers.

Edited by 2005thxfrthmmrs

BTW, if I were to rank them.

Tier 1 (in no particular order)

Curry,

Durant

Lebron

Tier 2

Davis

Leonard

Westbrook

Tier 3

Butler

George

Griffin

Harden

Paul

Tier 4

Wall

Draymond Green

Klay

Aldridge

Mar Gasol

Tier 5

Carmelo

Cousins

Drummond

Lillard

Kyrie

Lowry

ETC.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 07:55 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=3290076:date=Jan 16, 2016 -> 07:54 PM:name=Brian)-->
QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 07:54 PM)
<!--quotec-->Jo was a great team rep and did so much for the city off the court. The steal and dunk while getting fouled vs Boston was the play of his career.

The best.

Can't believe that before that dunk, I couldn't stand Noah. After that, I loved him