White Sox @ Angels 9:05 PM CST

Kyyle23

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 02:55 AM)
I could be way off on this, but from the eye test, Thompson and Saladino seem like similar hitters.

Thompson has never hit for average. He has drawn some walks in his career. What's he supposed to be? A .280, 20 home run, 80 ribbie ceiling guy with 15-20 SBs? Not flaming, but what does he project as? Kind of a David DeJesus type career? Maybe an Alex Rios clone?

Hope the light has gone on for Rodon. 31 pitches thru three. I get so tired looking at pitch counts and by the fifth or sixth inning our starter has 20 more pitches thrown. Nice to see the other way around.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 10:03 PM)
Hope the light has gone on for Rodon. 31 pitches thru three. I get so tired looking at pitch counts and by the fifth or sixth inning our starter has 20 more pitches thrown. Nice to see the other way around.

seems simple, but he's much more balanced on his follow through the last couple starts. Maybe he's getting used to MLB adrenaline.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 08:05 PM)
seems simple, but he's much more balanced on his follow through the last couple starts. Maybe he's getting used to MLB adrenaline.

If what we are seeing tonight and his last start is the real Rodon, he should be pretty effing exciting to watch

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 10:02 PM)
Thompson has never hit for average. He has drawn some walks in his career. What's he supposed to be? A .280, 20 home run, 80 ribbie ceiling guy with 15-20 SBs? Not flaming, but what does he project as? Kind of a David DeJesus type career? Maybe an Alex Rios clone?

I didn't think Saladino was projected to hit for average either. My point is that they seem to have similar swings, good eyes, good patience, and a little pop. That being said, I'd be overjoyed if Thompson ever hits .280/20/80 in a season. With his defense, that would be incredible. I think he is being a bit overhyped, perhaps because of Klay. I see Trayce as a career 4th outfielder, but a solid one. Good defense, decent speed, and maybe a career .245 hitter.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 04:06 AM)
I didn't think Saladino was projected to hit for average either. My point is that they seem to have similar swings, good eyes, good patience, and a little pop. That being said, I'd be overjoyed if Thompson ever hits .280/20/80 in a season. With his defense, that would be incredible. I think he is being a bit overhyped, perhaps because of Klay. I see Trayce as a career 4th outfielder, but a solid one. Good defense, decent speed, and maybe a career .245 hitter.

Thompson has way more power

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 10:06 PM)
If what we are seeing tonight and his last start is the real Rodon, he should be pretty effing exciting to watch

I can't wait for 2017.

Sale

Quintana

Rodon

Fulmer

Doesn't matter who #5 is

Not to mention, that will likely be Tim Anderson's first year as starting SS. We're doing the opposite of what the Cubs did- we have drafted (sans Quintana, whom we signed) what has the potential to be the best rotation in baseball, while the Cubs have what may one day be the best lineup in baseball. Frankly, I like our route better.

Given the amount of holes on the position player side and the resources that will be necessary to fill them, Rodon being an effective #3 starter next year would be a huge plus. We could probably get away with some combination of Danks, Johnson, & a bounce-back free agent signing in the #4/#5 spots, at least until one of Fulmer or Montas is ready. If so, any money that would have gone to Shark or another expensive starter could be reallocated to the offense.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 10:08 PM)
Thompson has way more power

I wouldn't say "way" more. He has 44 HRs over the past 3 MILB seasons. Hitting just .240 in that span. I'm sorry but I just don't get the hype over his batting. I know he has a nice, patient approach, but other than that, I don't get it.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 10:21 PM)
I wouldn't say "way" more. He has 44 HRs over the past 3 MILB seasons. Hitting just .240 in that span. I'm sorry but I just don't get the hype over his batting. I know he has a nice, patient approach, but other than that, I don't get it.

He does have way more raw power. He's got a lot of it, just needs to utilize it.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 08:21 PM)

It's the swing. He is looking really good at the plate and has such a nice, quick swing.

Edited by Knackattack

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 03:08 AM)
I can't wait for 2017.

Sale

Quintana

Rodon

Fulmer

Doesn't matter who #5 is

Not to mention, that will likely be Tim Anderson's first year as starting SS. We're doing the opposite of what the Cubs did- we have drafted (sans Quintana, whom we signed) what has the potential to be the best rotation in baseball, while the Cubs have what may one day be the best lineup in baseball. Frankly, I like our route better.

No. 5 is gonna have to be a righty. Too many lefties. I don't see how you can project to a certain year until the Sox project to have better hitters on board. The lineup sucks and right now doesn't project to be much better filling in with current minor leaguers.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 03:21 AM)

His minor league stats do not suggest stardom. They suggest Rios IMO.

Edited by greg775