Angels sign Geovany Soto to a 1 year deal

Baron

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 06:47 PM)
2nd in baseball for getting balls called strikes.

Good. He'll get a medal for that. As was pointed out in the middle of the season below average in offensive war and defense. Trailing......Soto!

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 06:53 PM)
I think Avila is a White Sox in 2016.

I'm thinking the same thing and the Sox could use a left handed hitting catcher. Avila won't cost the Sox picks or prospects so why not?

As for Geo, I really like the guy but I'm not surprised in the least that he moved on. The Sox didn't sound too interested in bringing him back anyway and like it or not, Flowers just ain't going anywhere.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 08:55 PM)
Was hoping to keep him around, actually swung the bat well for the White Sox. Did the Angels overpay?

Angels got rid of Ianetta, who cost a heck of a lot more that Sota.

Seattle picked up Ianetta.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 01:41 AM)
What if the home plate umpire was just s***ty those games?

That's probably it. But if the home plate umpire is going to be bad and call balls strikes more often when Flowers is catching, it's still a good thing for White Sox pitchers.

It is amazing how far Flowers has fallen from the pedestal he was placed here in about 2011. AJ had to go. If Flowers hit nothing, he still was better than AJ. Now, anything positive attributed to Flowers is quickly shot down as unimportant.

There are more than a few people on here that really can't mention pitch framing as a positive to any catcher they may like moving forward without looking foolish.

I just don't understand how having more balls called strikes when you are catching can't be considered a really good thing.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 07:35 AM)
That's probably it. But if the home plate umpire is going to be bad and call balls strikes more often when Flowers is catching, it's still a good thing for White Sox pitchers.

It is amazing how far Flowers has fallen from the pedestal he was placed here in about 2011. AJ had to go. If Flowers hit nothing, he still was better than AJ. Now, anything positive attributed to Flowers is quickly shot down as unimportant.

There are more than a few people on here that really can't mention pitch framing as a positive to any catcher they may like moving forward without looking foolish.

I just don't understand how having more balls called strikes when you are catching can't be considered a really good thing.

I think it could just be coincidence with who is calling balls and strikes that day. Someone with time could probably do a whole lot of digging into it. Other than pitch framing though, he's not very good behind the plate. Always tries to back hand every pitch in the dirt that end up going to backstop when he should be getting down blocking them.