White Sox sign Alex Avila

soxfan49

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 09:56 AM)
Catchers almost as a rule can't hit. It's better the Sox spend no trade chips on a mediocre guy. This guy is a lot like Geo except left handed. No average, decent OBP, power, decent defensively. He has been the starting catcher on many playoff teams and he is still in his 20's, and signed for less than what Geo received.

Exactly. And I'd think in a platoon situation, the odds of him staying healthy / being more productive would be greater. And unlike Geo, this is a platoon that actually makes sense (since you can use Flowers and Avilla to their strength's) and both are good defensive players. This was a really good cheap move and in my opinion, I am content with catcher. Allows Rick and company to focus on more glaring issues.

Spending significant resources on catcher, when almost all of them suck, just doesn't make a ton of sense right now (unless you have a rare super elite guy).

A generally reasonable move regardless of what their other plans are for this year. No one was remotely pushing that position, they needed big league depth, Flowers alone can't be counted on as holding that position next year, if either of them outperform they become tradeable assets at the deadline, and if they spend a ton of money elsewhere they can at least say "we're tolerable at catcher next year and probably about where we were in 2015".

QUOTE (MDWhiteSoxFan @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 01:37 PM)
For anyone upset about this it's 2.5 on a 1 year deal to platoon with Flowers... Sure Derek Norris would be nice (not sure how he is defensively) but at what cost. You're giving up assets for him. We aren't in a position for that IMO

Yep and the SOX still have their resources (prospects/money) to utilize towards getting a 3B and hopefully SS. 2.5M is a small price to pay for a catcher that gets on base, has some pop and throws out base runners pretty well. This is a very reasonable move for the Sox and a smart move at that.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 01:55 PM)
Yep and the SOX still have their resources (prospects/money) to utilize towards getting a 3B and hopefully SS. 2.5M is a small price to pay for a catcher that gets on base, has some pop and throws out base runners pretty well. This is a very reasonable move for the Sox and a smart move at that.

They aren't in a position to deal from the farm yet in my opinion.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 02:51 PM)
They aren't in a position to deal from the farm yet in my opinion.

And yet, they already have with the Almonte/Kahnle trade. I'm not against trading young low level pitching for young hitters or to use the young pitching as part of a bigger package for MLB ready talent/players. If the Sox plan on keeping Sale, Q and Rodon then they have no choice but to utilize the young pitching they have in a trade. Hahn has already said they could do just that, although I think he was speaking on pitching youth for hitting youth.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 10:12 PM)
And yet, they already have with the Almonte/Kahnle trade. I'm not against trading young low level pitching for young hitters or to use the young pitching as part of a bigger package for MLB ready talent/players. If the Sox plan on keeping Sale, Q and Rodon then they have no choice but to utilize the young pitching they have in a trade. Hahn has already said they could do just that, although I think he was speaking on pitching youth for hitting youth.

thanks for posting this, i missed something, so i will revise my other other post,

now they need to go out and sign a 3b.... that is all i see them doing, nothing big.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 03:15 PM)
thanks for posting this, i missed something, so i will revise my other other post,

now they need to go out and sign a 3b.... that is all i see them doing, nothing big.

Off the top of my head I think Hwang and Freese make the most sense for a 3B signing. I'd prefer something else but I don't know what else is available for 3BB.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 09:26 PM)
Off the top of my head I think Hwang and Freese make the most sense for a 3B signing. I'd prefer something else but I don't know what else is available for 3BB.

hwang, i have some concerns and that is why i really don't want to give up too much money on a bid,

freese seems to be the best options for what i perceives as the sox limitations. even thou my opinions are way different than most of these posters.