White Sox acquire Brett Lawrie

Baron

We all understand that he won't turn 26 until next month. Sure, he's been in the League a while, but most players with talent, will get better and make adjustments, as they come into the prime years of their careers. Yes, I know that Beckham failed to do that, but isn't he really more the exception? I think that Lawrie will make an adjustment, to some degree, to the steady diet of breaking balls, and improve his hitting.

My biggest questions are; Does this organization have the right coaches to help help him, and is he coachable?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 01:25 PM)
You're trying to take 3 stats to show a comparison but those stats without context show absolutely nothing.

For instance. There is another player with pretty similar stats. He had 158 K and 172 hits in 575 ABs. His name? Mike Trout.

I'll try and help you with that. Lawrie hit .260 and Avi .257. Lawrie had 16HR/60RBI and Avi had 13/59. Lawrie 28 walks and Avi 36. Avi 7 steals and Lawrie 5. Maybe it is me, but their stats are very comparable. So I say again, if you were happy w Avi as an offensive player in 2015, Lawrie put up very similiar numbers. Both also struggled defensively. So maybe we have another Avi at 3B. I like Avi so I assume I will like Lawrie.

I'll try and help you with that. Lawrie hit .260 and Avi .257. Lawrie had 16HR/60RBI and Avi had 13/59. Lawrie 28 walks and Avi 36. Avi 7 steals and Lawrie 5. Maybe it is me, but their stats are very comparable. So I say again, if you were happy w Avi as an offensive player in 2015, Lawrie put up very similiar numbers. Both also struggled defensively. So maybe we have another Avi at 3B. I like Avi so I assume I will like Lawrie.

The average offensive output for a RF is much higher than the average offensive output for a 3B. If your RF and 3B are putting up similar offensive stats, then your 3B is much better compared to average.

Lawrie has also had both good and bad defensive years and plays both 3B and 2B. Avi has had only bad defensive years and plays only RF.

Since LaRoche is a sunk cost, at this point the best case scenario is a LaRoche/Avi DH platoon (yes, it will be bad to use up two roster spots just for DH).

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 08:59 PM)

It's ok to root for your team, but I laugh whenever we make moves in the winter people assume they are GOOD moves. Lawrie is what he is (cliche). He's not going to emerge as a star.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 03:05 PM)
The average offensive output for a RF is much higher than the average offensive output for a 3B. If your RF and 3B are putting up similar offensive stats, then your 3B is much better compared to average.

Last year, the average RF put up a .767 OPS, the average 3b put up a .754 OPS, across all MLB.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 02:27 PM)
It's ok to root for your team, but I laugh whenever we make moves in the winter people assume they are GOOD moves. Lawrie is what he is (cliche). He's not going to emerge as a star.

What makes you so sure? Do most players peak at 25?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 08:28 PM)
What makes you so sure? Do most players peak at 25?

I just think he's another Beckham, that's all. People love him now cause they love the mystery of a new player. His stats reeked last year and with all those strikeouts he must be another uncoachable guy whiffing at that rate.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 01:59 PM)

Lawrie: 94 wRC+, .409 SLG, .148 ISO

Avi: 83 wRC+, .365 SLG, .108 ISO

The average AL RF also had a 107 wRC+, whereas the average AL 3B had a 99 wRC+.

I wouldn't call that very similar. Lawrie was also worth almost 2 WAR more than Garcia, and that was a clear down year.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 02:40 PM)
Look at the rest of Lawrie's career. Always rated as a plus defender.

There is a solution if neither Avi or Lawrie improve their defense. Fans with season tickets in front row behind 1st and 3rd will be issued batting helmets in case of errant throws. then, Robin can put in Saladino at 3rd and Trayce in RF for defense late in games.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 09:27 PM)

there can be something different thing that can happen to make him a star in chi.

so if you are talking about a star who will make a game change instantly, like a big hurt, jose a, and let alone, some of the games superstar, then you are right.

but he is a player that can infuse competitiveness into the team. the go-go sox of the 80's. now, i am not saying that will happen, but i like what he brings to the sox.

i just hope he is not a swisher.

lawrie fills a hole and has a small amount of room there for more ceiling. simple as that.

Gillaspie, Olt, Saladino provide you no ceiling whatsoever, so this is different from that. Sanchez has some room for improvement but more from a runs saved perspective. He's a MLB regular position player if he's outstanding on defense and 700 OPS or so. And that is not crazy for him to reach.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 02:27 PM)

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 02:31 PM)
I just think he's another Beckham, that's all. People love him now cause they love the mystery of a new player. His stats reeked last year and with all those strikeouts he must be another uncoachable guy whiffing at that rate.

Ya don't say?

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 04:32 PM)
Lawrie: 94 wRC+, .409 SLG, .148 ISO

Avi: 83 wRC+, .365 SLG, .108 ISO

The average AL RF also had a 107 wRC+, whereas the average AL 3B had a 99 wRC+.

I wouldn't call that very similar. Lawrie was also worth almost 2 WAR more than Garcia, and that was a clear down year.

The avi comp is one of the dumbest I've seen so far thanks for setting people straight. Besides the obvious differences in wRC+ not only between themselves but relative to average at their positions -- Avi has also never had a 3 WAR year (or even close. Lawrie has. He had a bad year. It happens. Sox are buying low that's smart.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 02:23 PM)
Avi is the dumbest base runner in the history of the game and a terrible defensive player.

I don't care what any stat says.

What Avi does in the batter's box is fine it what he does when the game is being played nad he is not in the batter's box that is troubling.

and when the Sox traded for Avi everyone had such high hopes. Who were the scouts that said he was a minny Migi? Who were they?

QUOTE (Saufley @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 11:13 PM)
and when the Sox traded for Avi everyone had such high hopes. Who were the scouts that said he was a minny Migi? Who were they?

Some hitters have talent but think they know it all. Avi's approach is awful, hence he is awful. We do need to move on from Avi and give him his final chance with another organization, like Lawrie.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 09:11 PM)
I know his versatility is a good thing but I'd like to see him stick to 3rd base. I think that should improve his fielding back to where it used to be. At least I hope so. Big difference between playing 3rd and 2nd.

Agreed. His defence seemed to slip once he was splitting time between second and third.