Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 11:52 AM)
I think the Cardinals are a dark horse for Gordon and I think SF is a dark horse for Cespedes.

I just can't see SF being a player for Cespedes considering that they've already spent $220 million this offseason alone on Cueto and Samardzija.

If they get an outfielder I think it'll be someone in the Parra/Span/Fowler/Jackson group.

Another thing to remember is Cespedes is coming off a 4 yr $36 mil deal which was a pretty good bargain for him. He wants to get paid big time and hired Jay Z's firm to represent him. Any idea of the Sox getting him on a discount probably isn't realistic. If they want him, they're going to have to spend like the big boys.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 11:59 AM)
I just can't see SF being a player for Cespedes considering that they've already spent $220 million this offseason alone on Cueto and Samardzija.

If they get an outfielder I think it'll be someone in the Parra/Span/Fowler/Jackson group.

they had almost $50 mil come off the books this offseason and really need another OF bat. Plus their payroll last year was $170mil. They're never really mentioned in the same breath as the LAD, NYY or BOS but they do spend and have the cash to do so. They also have another $40 mil coming off the books next offseason.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 12:01 PM)
Another thing to remember is Cespedes is coming off a 4 yr $36 mil deal which was a pretty good bargain for him. He wants to get paid big time and hired Jay Z's firm to represent him. Any idea of the Sox getting him on a discount probably isn't realistic. If they want him, they're going to have to spend like the big boys.

Why would a guy get to free agency and then take any sort of discount from a non hometown team? Cespedes will take big $$, agreed.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 10:01 AM)

I think that's the issue that Cespedes is having right now. He can want to get paid whatever he wants but it's obvious there is a big divide in what these guys/agents aren't asking & what teams are willing to pay.

He's not going to get what he originally thought. It's just a matter of how long it will take them to find a price that can work for him & a team.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 10:17 AM)
Don't sleep on the Giants and Tigers.

Detroit is the team that worries me.

It would hurt to lose out on these guys & even worse if two of the three go within the division. It's a very real possibility right now.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 11:40 AM)
I honestly think he'd sign a 4 year deal at $15M AAV to stay in KC. I think all these guys are realizing that their market isn't going to land nearly as much as they thought.

Was talking to a friend last night & he brought up a good point.

Heyward signs for less than most expected, which already somewhat hurt the rest of the OF market.

Upton seems the most set at waiting it out & now there are rumors of him taking a 1 year deal.

Cespedes has already talked about firing his agent once this year & I think they simply overstated his market & he's having a hard time coming back to reality now.

Gordon obviously wants to stay with KC but wants to be making more than someone like Melky. I think he'll use all the leverage he has, especially with his agent to get KC has high as possible & will ultimately re-sign with them for lesser money than any other offer he gets.

I don't think there's any way he stays in Kansas City for 4 years and $60 million. If that were the case, he'd be done already.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 01:23 PM)
Detroit is the team that worries me.

It would hurt to lose out on these guys & even worse if two of the three go within the division. It's a very real possibility right now.

There's definitely mutual interest. That's what concerns me the longer this goes on

Still seems like Sox are in great position to get one of the big 3. They're just about the only team mentioned being involved with all of them. I don't blame them for waiting for the best deal, especially if they like all 3 equally. More than anything, the fact it seems like they have 20 million willing to spend for next season is very exciting to me.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 01:38 PM)
Still seems like Sox are in great position to get one of the big 3. They're just about the only team mentioned being involved with all of them. I don't blame them for waiting for the best deal, especially if they like all 3 equally. More than anything, the fact it seems like they have 20 million willing to spend for next season is very exciting to me.

I hope your right.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 02:38 PM)
This is odd... I feel like the reports are going back and forth on who we're closer with. I hope we get Cespedes and Gordon is being used for leverage.

RaBBit has been pretty consistent saying that Gordon is top priority. Others haven't but he seems to be getting something that says Gordon is at the top of the list