Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 07:44 PM)
I hope so, I wonder what Rabbit thinks about this KC guys update. Rabbits been pretty clear his sources have said we want Gordon primarily.

I have no doubt the Sox are targeting Gordon as their top guy but raBBit also knows that him going back to KC is a real possibility.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 07:46 PM)
I don't trust this KC guy. He bet his reputation that Gordon would be a Royal by Christmas... so I guess he doesn't have a reputation.

Biggest mistake these guys that get info & try to break stuff is simple: They always give timelines. NEVER give a timeline. Situation far too fluid.

I am shocked that Davis has an offer of 7/154 out there and hasn't taken it.

Who is going to bid that higher? Or even close? If I'm the Orioles GM I am shrinking that contract every two days.

Holy crap.

Edit: I realize this should probably be in a Davis thread, but there isn't one, so I digress.

Edited by South Sider

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 12:35 AM)
Itll definitely be interesting what Gordon signing first tomorrow would do to the rest of the market.

Not sure it would do as much as you think, since for the most part it seems like different teams are in on Gordon and Cespedes/Upton with the exception of us.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 07:13 AM)
Not sure it would do as much as you think, since for the most part it seems like different teams are in on Gordon and Cespedes/Upton with the exception of us.

Signing Gordon AND Cespedes would make us one of the best teams in the league.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 09:37 AM)
Let's say KC clubhouse is right and KC signs Gordon for 4 years and $70 million. What would you guess it would take in order to sign Cespedes knowing those numbers?

5 years, $100 million?

Would that ultimately be out of the Sox comfort zone, I would assume yes...

I don't think so. I think that the 3 year comment was just posturing. Ad I don't think they would be opposed to a nine figure deal

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 08:48 AM)
I don't think so. I think that the 3 year comment was just posturing. Ad I don't think they would be opposed to a nine figure deal

I hope you're right but nothing this offseason has lead me to believe this. In fact I think they wanted Gordon due to the fact the years and money is something they could stomach. Signing Cespedes is not business as usual for the white sox. To sign him would take a serious leap of faith from JR, the board, and the FO. And personally I don't see them doing it with Cespedes, even though I feel he would be a perfect fit and would strive in the Cell and playing alongside Abreu.

I think we all need to get serious and realize the actual chances of signing Cespedes are not good.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 03:54 PM)
And also if this was true I'd think we would have Cespedes on the team already...

Couldn't disagree more. Absolutely no reason for Cespedes to sign with anyone yet. Orioles having money to spend and not bringing back Davis yet is a huge issue.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 08:57 AM)
Couldn't disagree more. Absolutely no reason for Cespedes to sign with anyone yet. Orioles having money to spend and not bringing back Davis yet is a huge issue.

I think Davis will cave and take the highest offer possible from the Orioles. Doesn't seem like there's anyone in on him.

With Gordon getting 4/$72, I wonder what type of deal Cespedes could get. I suppose it doesn't change much from the expected 5 to 6 years at around $20MM per year. But I wouldn't think that he'd be inclined to take a 3 year (or less) deal, unless he hopes to get more per year and then try to score again in three years.

I was thinking in the back of my mind that Gordon might be the most realistic for the Sox, and it makes me nervous now that one of the big three is gone. I really think the Sox will have to offer 4 or 5 years to have a true shot at Cespedes.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 09:02 AM)
Giants could turn attention to Cespedes and Upton now. It's going to be heating up.

People keep saying SF but I think the Gordon contract officially eliminates SF, LAA, and Det. I think they were only in if the price dropped. I think you saw with Gordon it'll take atleast $100 million for Cespedes. I don't see any of those teams laying it and taking a chance to go up against the luxury tax. I worry about the Nationals, Baltimore, and maybe Detroit just simply because Cespy liked it there. We need Davis to sign with Baltimore.

I really really want Cespedes and really hope Hahn can get it done.

The Sox were posturing on the 3 year nonsense. They know it will take more to get Cespedes and even Garfien confirmed last weekend Cespedes had not received more than a 3 year offer yet. I'm guessing the Sox offer 4 years guaranteed with a 5th year team/player option.

Don't get your knickers in a twist Sox fans.