Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 02:51 PM)
Merkin's article seems very grounded in fact, by the way. We are pushing other teams to spend, and then we'll swoop when something is in our parameters. That seems like a perfect way of putting it.

In other words, the Sox will swoop in and nab Austin Jackson when all the good outfielders are taken.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 03:58 PM)
Do you honestly think there's any chance at all the Sox are going to start Avi in RF next season? I'll bet my house that they don't.

This is one of those things where I hope to hell it is the case but am frightened it's their intention to play him.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 02:58 PM)
Do you honestly think there's any chance at all the Sox are going to start Avi in RF next season? I'll bet my house that they don't.

Them greg houses coming in handy I see. I agree with you though, he won't be starting RF but I don't see the need to write an article and offer that as the main solution.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 02:59 PM)
In other words, the Sox will swoop in and nab Austin Jackson when all the good outfielders are taken.

Not a bad plan. Really struggled hitting with Seattle, but that isn't unique. He's 29. Have him play CF, move Eaton to RF. He's usually been close to a 3 WAR player. Might be able to sign him for a song. I would guess they are still in on Cespedes and Upton, but a guy like Jackson, while not the sexy move, could turn out to be a good one. Signing a beat up Jermaine Dye didn't excite the fanbase, but he earned his money and then some.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 02:54 PM)
The line about hoping for an Avi improvement and counting on a Laroche bounce back is horrible. Counting on those 2 things to happen is a stretch, and not what you want to be selling to the fanbase after not only making the prior deals for Frazier and Lawrie, but also intimating in interviews (Hahn!) that you'd definitely be bringing in another OF to platoon/replace/help out Avi.

It's Merkin so I still have faith in Hahn to get the deal done, assuming Reinsdorf gives him the green light $$-wise.

But in those interviewes Hahn said the Sox would have to get creative to make a signing happen which means they would have to move salary to make room for salary which they have yet to do and won't do in the case of LaRoche.

While JR has approved of budget raises in the past, I wouldn't assume anything at this point. Especially since the Cell resembled a ghost town in '15 as far as attendance goes.

I'm not trying to be a downer, just not allowing myself to get my hopes up to the point that my Sox world comes crashing down if the Sox are unable to get something done. I think they will bring in an outfielder but its very possible he won't be what many have hoped for.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 02:52 PM)
Rick Hahn has said he is going to add an OF. Even Merkin confirmed the White Sox would be adding an OF. It might not be Cespedes or Upton, but they are not going into the season hoping Avi figures crap out, and playing the "we'll trade for someone in June if needed" game they have played and failed in the past. Another OF will be added. As HOFer Frank Thomas would say, "no doubt about it."

I agree with this. I do feel they will bring somebody in but likely not what fans are hoping for. But if fans get pissed the Sox don't sign one of Cespedes/Upton, that's on those fans for getting their hopes up.

Edit: I still wouldn't rule out a trade for an outfielder. Plenty available right now.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 03:06 PM)
But in those interviewed Hahn said the Sox would have to get creative to make a signing happen which means they would have to move salary to make room for salary which they have yet to do and won't do in the case of LaRoche.

While JR has approved of budget raises in the past, I wouldn't assume anything at this point. Especially since the Cell resembled a ghost town in '15 as far as attendance goes.

I'm not trying to be a downer, just not allowing myself to get my hopes up to the point that my Sox world comes crashing down if the Sox are unable to get something done. I think they will bring in an outfielder but its very possible he won't be what many have hoped for.

I think it's not only possible, but more possible than not that we don't land one of the big guys at this point and end up bringing in 2nd tier guy(s).

Hopes and fears would officially come crashing down only if Avi is our starting RF come April.

And after seeing that KC gave Gordon not only 4 guaranteed years but also threw in a 5th year mutual option, I feel much better that we didn't end up in the mix to sign him. Too many years for my liking, whether we end up with YC or JU in the long run.

Edited by blackmooncreeping

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 03:10 PM)
I think it's not only possible, but more possible than not that we don't land one of the big guys at this point and end up bringing in 2nd tier guy(s).

Hopes and fears would officially come crashing down only if Avi is our starting RF come April.

And after seeing that KC gave Gordon not only 4 guaranteed years but also threw in a 5th year mutual option, I feel much better that we didn't end up in the mix to sign him. Too many years for my liking, whether we end up with YC or JU in the long run.

There are so many OF still available and all of them are better than Avi. If the Sox miss out on the big guys I still highly doubt Avi will be the starting RF.

Power has been out most of the day today, just now seeing the Gordon thing.

The inner idiot in me wants to panic w/ Gordon signing.

Seems like teams are flocking away from Cespedes & going to Upton (namely the Orioles).

What's everyone else's feel on this?

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 03:10 PM)

Looking at that Gordon contract makes me relieved the Sox didn't do something stupid like that and that maybe the Sox drove the price up on KC with the Sox having genuine interest in Gordon. I'm would be pissed if the Sox signed Gordon for that contract.

I think you're right in thinking signing one of them is less possible. Surely younger players like Cespedes and Upton can get at least five years now. That's not a typical Sox move.

So what do you think of the second tier? :P

If the Sox don't get Cespedes then I wouldn't bother signing any of the 2nd tier guys to long term deals. Don't really think any of them are worth it. I'd rather see RH explore the trade market.

Also as mentioned before Upton is from Norfolk and seems to have interest in playing in either Baltimore or Washington so that's where I think he might end up.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 03:03 PM)
Not a bad plan. Really struggled hitting with Seattle, but that isn't unique. He's 29. Have him play CF, move Eaton to RF. He's usually been close to a 3 WAR player. Might be able to sign him for a song. I would guess they are still in on Cespedes and Upton, but a guy like Jackson, while not the sexy move, could turn out to be a good one. Signing a beat up Jermaine Dye didn't excite the fanbase, but he earned his money and then some.

Dick, I like your plan.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 10:38 PM)
Would you guys prefer Cespedes by himself or Span/Jackson as a package?

Span/Jackson is the more likely outcome it seems like, but Cespedes is much more talented.

No it's not...doubt either want to head into a platoon situation.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 03:24 PM)
I guess ozuna trade talks are heating up and Span might be signing soon. I guess we should know hopefully by the end of week if the Sox do something.

How about trading for ozuna? On mlbtr they are said to be looking for a young pitcher. This is a guy I would trade Adams and maybe another piece for.