Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 08:23 PM)
That would be an option. However, I wouldn't trade a number 1 starter unless they near the end of the deal and are sure he won't re-sign. They can't go for it every year and field a consistent winner.

They've been to the playoffs twice in 10 years, dude. What are you talking about?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 08:24 PM)
Why does the Tigers signing Upton end the offseason for the White Sox? We have known the White Sox weren't going to sign Upton for a while?

I'm not saying it does but it's very obvious that teams in their own division are getting better (that were already better teams) & the Sox have improved but not nearly enough to be considered division favorites.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 10:07 PM)
I agree. People complain about not building a consistent winner but then want them to sign long term deals that willbe awful in 3-4 years. Pick a lane. I prefer the patient uild the team through prudent trades and drafts.

What, in your mind, has shown the Sox willingness to build a consistent winner? Smart drafting? Going big in J2? Going after guys that are perfect fits for a competing team (ex. Heyward)? The Sox FO has no idea how to build a consistent winner, that's why this organization has been in the playoffs 6 times in the last 80 years.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 10:21 PM)
Pick a lane? How does trading away prospects for 2 players with 2 years of control & standing pat after that make any sort of sense?

You either go for it or you rebuild. You don't half ass things & come in at or under .500 each year.

Because the prosepects weren't really good. If they traded possible impact players it would be different. The team is better than it was last year without sacrificing the future. I dont think tge sox fanbase as a group would tolerate a true re-build. I would and some would but I'm not sure the team could survive it.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 10:23 PM)
That would be an option. However, I wouldn't trade a number 1 starter unless they near the end of the deal and are sure he won't re-sign. They can't go for it every year and field a consistent winner.

Let me be the first to say it seems unlikely the Sox would offer Sale a tempting contract. AAV would be what, 40 million, by then? 6 x 40. I'm not saying it's wrong to pass on that, just that we know the Sox would.

So big picture, we're f***ed.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 10:07 PM)
I agree. People complain about not building a consistent winner but then want them to sign long term deals that willbe awful in 3-4 years. Pick a lane. I prefer the patient uild the team through prudent trades and drafts.

Dude, we have Sale & Abreu under control for four more years. We can't be overly patient and wait for all these prospects to fill holes because we don't have them in our system. And most draft picks take years before they contribute. The absolute worse thing we can do right now is waste more cost-controlled of our key players.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 10:27 PM)
Because the prosepects weren't really good. If they traded possible impact players it would be different. The team is better than it was last year without sacrificing the future. I dont think tge sox fanbase as a group would tolerate a true re-build. I would and some would but I'm not sure the team could survive it.

It is amazing how worthwhile a prospect Micah has become since he was gone

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 04:29 AM)
Dude, we have Sale & Abreu under control for four more years. We can't be overly patient and wait for all these prospects to fill holes because we don't have them in our system. And most draft picks take years before they contribute. The absolute worse thing we can do right now is waste more cost-controlled of our key players.

And let's be honest, counting on the Sox to produce quality hitters from the system is foolish right now.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 10:26 PM)
What, in your mind, has shown the Sox willingness to build a consistent winner? Smart drafting? Going big in J2? Going after guys that are perfect fits for a competing team (ex. Heyward)? The Sox FO has no idea how to build a consistent winner, that's why this organization has been in the playoffs 6 times in the last 80 years.

This is where they need to focus. I think the last two years with trading marginal prospects for good players on short deals and signing FA deals no longer than 3 years shows steps in the right direction.

I agree that before ladt year they have not shown this ficys. I think they are on the right trach though.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 11:27 PM)

Rainbows, unicorns, fluff....stop blowing smoke!!

Succinctly, why I'm not happy:

- In a tough division, could have taken advantage of outrageous trade value for our pitching to load up and hope to compete in 2 years.

- instead went forward and did get better, but everyone got better. Cespedes/Gordon/Upton offered chance to add 2 all stars in one offseason and legitimately have a lot of elite talent. Instead, our upgrade basically moved us in parallel with other teams in division, did not catch us up.

So really, are we any closer to a playoff today than if we had cashed in on our talent? I don't think so. Yeah, FA prices suck, but that's what you pay when you failed your scouting on Avi/Davidson

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 10:29 PM)

This is a good point and that's why its tough. However, the point still remains do you sell out because of your reasons and maybe win a world series but then only make the playoffs once in the decade after the world series. This is what the complaints are now.

If they went ahead and did it posters 10 years from now would be saying the same things you are.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 10:30 PM)
It is amazing how worthwhile a prospect Micah has become since he was gone

He had trade value, obviously. Using him on Todd Frazier means you can't use him for someone else.

Also find it hilarious we can be so patient in not breaking bank on a needed improvement, but can't possibly wait and see if some of our infield prospects are worthwhile.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 10:33 PM)
Rainbows, unicorns, fluff....stop blowing smoke!!

Sarcasm aside. At least I think it is, as a little better than Sheldon at picking it up. They are better. Selling out now for a winner this year just puts them on the same path and position they are in today

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 10:37 PM)
He had trade value, obviously. Using him on Todd Frazier means you can't use him for someone else.

Also find it hilarious we can be so patient in not breaking bank on a needed improvement, but can't possibly wait and see if some of our infield prospects are worthwhile.

I dont know about you but what I saw from him last year didnt give me any indication he could be an impact player. Major league player possibly but not impact.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 11:34 PM)
Succinctly, why I'm not happy:

- In a tough division, could have taken advantage of outrageous trade value for our pitching to load up and hope to compete in 2 years.

- instead went forward and did get better, but everyone got better. Cespedes/Gordon/Upton offered chance to add 2 all stars in one offseason and legitimately have a lot of elite talent. Instead, our upgrade basically moved us in parallel with other teams in division, did not catch us up.

So really, are we any closer to a playoff today than if we had cashed in on our talent? I don't think so. Yeah, FA prices suck, but that's what you pay when you failed your scouting on Avi/Davidson

Cabrera, Martinez, Martinez and Upton is nice. That's formidable. Now time for Hahn to answer that.

We continue to pay market price for Major Leaguers. Paying cost controlled prices could let us buy our all stars, but wait! All stars are so expensive. Let's just continue to wait, but not rebuild, but not pay to finish the job either.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 12:38 AM)
Sarcasm aside. At least I think it is, as a little better than Sheldon at picking it up. They are better. Selling out now for a winner this year just puts them on the same path and position they are in today

I was just "poking fun" at those getting mad at Merkin for saying this team is better.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 10:41 PM)
Cabrera, Martinez, Martinez and Upton is nice. That's formidable. Now time for Hahn to answer that.

We still have worst lineup in division. We have 2nd best rotation of no injuries. Who knows on bullpen. And probably 3rd best defense.

Cespedes flips two of those a lot closer, and we have no idea how much our pitching staff may improve ahead of good defense.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 10:35 PM)
This is a good point and that's why its tough. However, the point still remains do you sell out because of your reasons and maybe win a world series but then only make the playoffs once in the decade after the world series. This is what the complaints are now.

If they went ahead and did it posters 10 years from now would be saying the same things you are.

I just want the front office to pick a clear direction and stick with it. The Frazier trade in a vacuum is a great deal IMO, but not if it's our only big move. It simply doesn't move the needle enough in a tough division. I said at the beginning of the season we needed to add two impact bats or we should go the rebuild route. Without adding Cespedes (or a player of similar ability), we're once again half-assing it and hoping for too many things to go right in order to compete.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 10:35 PM)

Yes actually, I'll take a World Series win every 11 or 12 years, because the organization hasn't shown the ability to be able to put together a year-in, year-out playoff contender...ever. The idea of building from within for a sustained period of success is a great notion, but it doesn't fit the reality of what this front office has done over the past however many years.