Upton or Cespedes

TheTruth05

Upton or Cespedes?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• Justin Upton
    • Yoenis Cespedes

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 01:03 PM)
Getting Cespedes would rekindle my excitement around the White Sox. Getting Upton would feel like having years added onto a prison sentence.

Where's the option for Alex Gordon?

The signing of Upton, Cespedes or Gordon would significantly improve this team going into next season. Danks and LaRoche come off the books after this season and free up money that can go towards signing one of these three players.

Gordon might make the most sense in terms of length of contract and dollar amount, plus he bats left handed. Cespedes and Upton would require lengthier contracts

I don't particularly like the idea of signing Fowler or Span because of defensive concerns

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted this in the J Up thread but I'll do it again since this thread is comparing these guys. Here our a few visual tools to help make your decision.

Surfing other fan forums and found this comparing the free agent OFs.... Pretty nice visual tool to compare these guys offensively.

HT Angles Win fan forum

http://i.imgur.com/PNm8mjt.png

http://i.imgur.com/HJcXhkw.png

http://i.imgur.com/DSxb0OE.png

http://i.imgur.com/0iT6r7G.png

http://i.imgur.com/qWpIdsZ.png

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 01:22 PM)
Where's the option for Alex Gordon?

The signing of Upton, Cespedes or Gordon would significantly improve this team going into next season. Danks and LaRoche come off the books after this season and free up money that can go towards signing one of these three players.

Gordon might make the most sense in terms of length of contract and dollar amount, plus he bats left handed. Cespedes and Upton would require lengthier contracts

I don't particularly like the idea of signing Fowler or Span because of defensive concerns

I want nothing to do with Fowler either seeing he costs a pick. Span is an interesting option just not as flashy as the others. But something I wouldn't mind if we strike out on the big three.

On paper I like Cespedes for the production and I believe he won't cost a pick. On the negative side he's older by 2 years, who knows maybe more coming from Cuba. Also, his first two clubs seemed to imply he was a clubhouse cancer. I'm not sure if Detroit saw him that way, and the Mets seemed to like him, but Oakland and Boston grew sick of him. Not sure that's worth it considering we already have Eaton and Lawrie potentially creating distractions in that locker room. I like CarGo if the trade price is fair personally.

Edited by QuickJones81

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 01:39 PM)
Another OF idea: Nick Markakis? Braves clearly willing to move players, name we've been rumored with in the past.

Markakis defense concerns me, as he has graded out poorly and won't likely get better with age. Also what would we have to give up to get him? I don't want to raid our minor league system too much more after the Frazier deal.

I am glad that we managed to keep Fulmer and Adams as I don't feel as strongly about Montas as I do about those two

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 08:39 PM)
Another OF idea: Nick Markakis? Braves clearly willing to move players, name we've been rumored with in the past.

the braves FO does not negotiate well, they are pretty firm in what they want as a rtn.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 02:44 PM)
Markakis defense concerns me, as he has graded out poorly and won't likely get better with age. Also what would we have to give up to get him? I don't want to raid our minor league system too much more after the Frazier deal.

I am glad that we managed to keep Fulmer and Adams as I don't feel as strongly about Montas as I do about those two

With the Braves selling off everything and Markakis signed for 2 years at >$10m per year, I can't imagine he'll cost a ton unless you want money from them.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 01:50 PM)
What about Upton at 7 years with an opt out year 4 when he's 32? Can try to get 4 or 5 guaranteed years instead of the 3 left on his deal.

I'm scared of dishing out a 5+ year deal to ANY player. Depends on the dollars and term of course, but Gordon might make the most sense overall on a 4-5 year deal

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 01:00 PM)
Age, track record beyond one season.

Well that and his OBP is a better fit with what we need as a team. Plus his offensive numbers are some Cespedes prior to last season has never come close to putting up. (Upton averages like a 120+wRC)

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 02:36 PM)
I'd guess that Cespedes is 32 or 33 years old - not 30 like he claims.

I like Alex Gordon on a 4/5 year deal (4 ideally) for a more reasonable dollar amount. His bat is solid, he gets on base and plays above average defense all while batting left handed

Cespedes on base percentage scares me, and the contract length for Upton scares me as he will likely require a 6-8 year deal

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 02:53 PM)
I like Alex Gordon on a 4/5 year deal (4 ideally) for a more reasonable dollar amount. His bat is solid, he gets on base and plays above average defense all while batting left handed

Cespedes on base percentage scares me, and the contract length for Upton scares me as he will likely require a 6-8 year deal

The lefty thing is one reason I'd prefer Gordon. His age is a drawback, but slap him into the lineup and it's got a little more balance to it.

Eaton

Cabrera

Abreu

Frazier

???

Lawrie

LaRoche

Avila/Navarro

Saladino/Sanchez

QUOTE (VAfan @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 03:15 PM)
I voted Cespedes, for 3 reasons.

1. Might be able to develop some competition for best Cuban on the team between him and Abreu.

2. Don't want to surrender the draft pick.

3. I think Cespedes could be had on a shorter deal.

Sox first round draft pick at #10 overall is protected, so they would only lose a compensation rd A pick...although we do have the #33 overall pick as compensation for Samardzija which I would be hesitant to give up very easily. That's almost a first round pick that we could land a quality prospect with who slipped out of round one