Alex Gordon Thread

Dunt

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People are saying it's a discount but isn't it about where people predicted he would sign at? I never thought he was going to get 5 years or $20 million AAV. I also don't think this changes things THAT much for Cespedes/Upton either, it didn't really sound like many teams were in on Gordon besides us and KC.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 09:18 AM)
The longer the process took, I think the more obvious it became.

Yep. A few of us were speculating last week that Gordon could have been using the Sox in negotiations with KC while the Sox were using Gordon in negotiations with Cespedes. We'll see if the second part of that speculation come to fruition.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 09:29 AM)
Yep. A few of us were speculating last week that Gordon could have been using the Sox in negotiations with KC while the Sox were using Gordon in negotiations with Cespedes. We'll see if the second part of that speculation come to fruition.

I don't think there was much using. You don't offer someone a team record contract as a ploy. I'm sure the Sox were very interested. The other thing that was rarely mentioned about the benefit of signing Gordon was not only would they have strengthened the White Sox, they would have weakened a division opponent significantly.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 09:27 AM)
People are saying it's a discount but isn't it about where people predicted he would sign at? I never thought he was going to get 5 years or $20 million AAV. I also don't think this changes things THAT much for Cespedes/Upton either, it didn't really sound like many teams were in on Gordon besides us and KC.

The Cards had a similar offer to KC's preliminary tender...a bit higher.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 09:32 AM)
I don't think there was much using. You don't offer someone a team record contract as a ploy. I'm sure the Sox were very interested. The other thing that was rarely mentioned about the benefit of signing Gordon was not only would they have strengthened the White Sox, they would have weakened a division opponent significantly.

Not saying using is what happened, just that it was possible. The Sox knew Gordon wanted to stay in KC and supposedly Abreu has been in contact with Cespedes so the speculation is plausible. It's likely we'll never know and it really doesn't matter. It was just bored fans ( myself included) speculating while waiting for something to happen.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 09:40 AM)
Sources: Gordon salary in 1st yr of four-yr, $72M deal is lower, giving #Royals chance to make other moves. Deal also includes deferrals.

Signals KC's desire to go "all in" one more time, as this would only decrease the likelihood of signing those pending free agents.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 09:35 AM)
If we get him, great. If not, easy to live with not paying him 100 million dollars based off of a career year at 30

This is my thought. Do the sox really want to tie up that much money in such an inconsistent performer? This could be a contract that limits whatthey can do in the future. People on this board complain about cabrera and Laroche and their deals are very short. YO has the possibility of become even more hated than Dunn.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 08:50 AM)
I honestly believe getting Span and a starting pitcher might be the optimal solution. Really just don't want the Sox to settle for Parra.

I'm coming along to this line of thinking as well. Span doesn't cost a pick, and in his last full healthy season he was a 4 WAR player. Picking up him (2.2 projected WAR) and someone like Fister (1.4 projected WAR) or Latos (1.8 projected WAR) might be better than just Cespedes (3.1 projected WAR).

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 09:45 AM)
This is my thought. Do the sox really want to tie up that much money in such an inconsistent performer? This could be a contract that limits whatthey can do in the future. People on this board complain about cabrera and Laroche and their deals are very short. YO has the possibility of become even more hated than Dunn.

iMO the difference is YO isn't one dimensional. He can impact a game with his arm, defense, speed, and power. I think there is a better chance of us regretting not capitalizing on the opportunity to sign him then regretting signing him. Of the three I think Cespedes is the one who can live up to the value he will be getting in a deal.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 09:51 AM)
I'm coming along to this line of thinking as well. Span doesn't cost a pick, and in his last full healthy season he was a 4 WAR player. Picking up him (2.2 projected WAR) and someone like Fister (1.4 projected WAR) or Latos (1.8 projected WAR) might be better than just Cespedes (3.1 projected WAR).

Who knows what kind of player Span is after the injury though. And the amount of potential impact Span had compared to Cespedes is not even worth displacing one of the guys we have now. And it's not like Span will come cheap. Boras is his agent.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 09:29 AM)

Not a big surprise here, you knew when he couldn't be signed early in the process that his heart was never really in leaving KC, much less to come to the Sox. I personally prefer Cespedes/Upton anyways, so hopefully this unclogs the market. Both Cespedes and Upton seem to be waiting on Davis and Baltimore to figure their own situations out. I think either would go to Baltimore over the Sox, and are waiting to see what the money might be before considering less years, which is what it sounds like the Sox are offering.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 09:15 AM)
Rock I know you don't get the same inside information as you used to, however you've always had a good feel for the way the FO operates. What would you put our chances of signing Cespedes at. Assuming it's going to cost atleast a $20 AAV?

I personally feel like Gordon was the top OF prize on the market and Gordon's deal makes it MORE likely the Sox get him.

Not sure that this affects the Cespedes/Upton market much. Gordon always seemed to want to stay in KC. Cespedes/Upton probably are open to any team willing to pay.

Don't have much hope the Sox land either one but I didn't from the beginning of the whole process. The best chance the Sox had was with Gordon because the contract would be shorter and less expensive . Now if they want Cespedes ( who was my 1st choice) they will have to pay dearly . Cespedes will be over $100M and probably easily over.

The whole reason why I started the other thread on what options the Sox pursue if one of the big 3 wasn't signed (subsequent threads were all copycats :P) was because it just never seemed likely to happen. Cespedes would sell tickets paired with Abreu and possibly more season tickets than last year. Question is do the Sox have the cojones ?

Albert Belle signed with the Sox for his age 30 season. Here's hoping Cespedes is the Belle of this years ball . I will gladly look like a moron for my pessimism .

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 09:56 AM)
Not a big surprise here, you knew when he couldn't be signed early in the process that his heart was never really in leaving KC, much less to come to the Sox. I personally prefer Cespedes/Upton anyways, so hopefully this unclogs the market. Both Cespedes and Upton seem to be waiting on Davis and Baltimore to figure their own situations out. I think either would go to Baltimore over the Sox, and are waiting to see what the money might be before considering less years, which is what it sounds like the Sox are offering.

The Baltimore/Davis situation makes much more sense to me than it did initially and I agree, the Sox need Baltimore to sign Davis ASAP. I agree with the preference of Cespedes/Upton. Let's hope the rumors of Abreu trying to sell Cespedes on the Sox are true.