Dexter Fowler as a secondary option

blackmooncreeping

Make no mistake, if the Sox sign Dexter Fowler, he's a sizeable upgrade over Avi & may be worth about two more wins per year. It also gives you another guy who has solid range & can play multiple OF spots & a top of the order presence, who may not hit 15-20 HRs a year but gets on base, something that is severely needed in front of Abreu, Frazier, & LaRoche.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 09:32 AM)
Gotta say, somehow I hadn't realized that Fowler's on-base skills were so good. Makes him much more palatable to me.

His OBP is the best fit of any of the players. Provides good speed, etc. One question is how will his average trend playing in smaller parks, since he played most of his career at the hitter paradises like Coors and Minute Maid (or whatever it is called now). Average took a major beating going to Wrigley (small outfield...although power numbers popped). Given how much Sox have sucked at getting OBP guys, I am fully on board with the idea of Fowler if the price is right (somewhere in the neighborhood of Span).

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 09:48 AM)
Just a quick little piece of info. In 5 years Fowler has given up 53 runs. 32 just in the last 2 seasons.

Yep...his defensive metrics aren't that great in CF. The question is, if you move him, what does it do to his value.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 11:59 AM)
Yep...his defensive metrics aren't that great in CF. The question is, if you move him, what does it do to his value.

I'm on board with the Austin Jackson idea and just rolling with that if we cant get Cespedes.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 12:36 PM)
In CF. Sox would not be using him in CF. He's still going to be a huge upgrade over Avi.

We thought this stuff about Melky. Bad fielders replacing terrible ones hasn't really helped much.

The Cubs have no CF.

Why then are they not bringing this guy back?

Sign Austin Jackson. Forget Fowler. At least Jackson has played most of his career in pitchers' park; Fowler the opposite.

Jackson also plays much better D, which SHOULD matter to a team who had rancid outfield defense like the Sox.

And of course he is cheaper, shorter duration and doesn't cost a draft choice.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 03:02 PM)
The Cubs have no CF.

Why then are they not bringing this guy back?

Sign Austin Jackson. Forget Fowler. At least Jackson has played most of his career in pitchers' park; Fowler the opposite.

They signed Heyward and were pretty clear their OF to start the year is going to be Schwarber, Heyward, and Soler.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 12:38 PM)
We thought this stuff about Melky. Bad fielders replacing terrible ones hasn't really helped much.

I get what you're saying but it's a different scenario, we had a base of what Melky is in lf, we have no clue what Fowler would be if we moved him to a corner. He could be a pretty good rf or he could be just as bad as he was in center, that's something that the sox scouts would have to decide on.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 02:03 PM)
They signed Heyward and were pretty clear their OF to start the year is going to be Schwarber, Heyward, and Soler.

Heyward is an elite RF; CF remains to be seen. Soler and Schwarber defensively challenged.

If they thought Fowler was a quality CF, he'd be back.

He's not.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 12:14 PM)
Heyward is an elite RF; CF remains to be seen. Soler and Schwarber defensively challenged.

If they thought Fowler was a quality CF, he'd be back.

He's not.

I feel like you somehow missed the part where you type Schwarber & Soler, who are their corner OF'ers... They signed Heyward because he was the best OF'er on the market. They wanted him. That says NOTHING about Fowler.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/01/ian-...als-astros.html

"In his daily Insider-only column (subscription required), ESPN’s Buster Olney writes that there’s a belief around the industry that the White Sox are open to outfield upgrades but don’t want to spend at the levels necessary to land Upton or Cespedes. A second-tier option makes more sense, Olney notes, and while he stops short of speculating on specific names, I’ll add that players such as Dexter Fowler and Austin Jackson could be fits for the South Siders. (Gerardo Parra, too, would’ve made sense but agreed to a three-year pact with the Rockies earlier today."

I'm really warming up to the idea of Jackson.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 09:07 PM)
Cespedes > Fowler and Jackson combined

I want Cespedes too but if the guy doesn't end up here, could we do Fowler-Jackson as a plan B, money-wise, is my question.

Although I think I'd prefer to try and trade for CarGo first instead of signing Fowler and losing the pick, and signing Jackson in either scenario.

Fowler around $12-14 million per season and Jackson looking at $7-9 million, $21 million's on the lower end of the spectrum of the AAV Upton or Cespedes would realistically receive on short-term deals.

But then that lost draft pick for Fowler's currently being assessed at $10-12 million in foregone short/long-term value as well.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 02:03 AM)
Fowler around $12-14 million per season and Jackson looking at $7-9 million, $21 million's on the lower end of the spectrum of the AAV Upton or Cespedes would realistically receive on short-term deals.

But then that lost draft pick for Fowler's currently being assessed at $10-12 million in foregone short/long-term value as well.

They are only replacing Garcia. They are not signing or trading for 2 OFs.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 03:36 AM)
Someone was inquiring about the salary expectations...basically Fowler and Jackson for 15-25% less than Upton or Cespedes per year and likely a shorter commitment in terms of years.

True. But they will not save money as one of them would be a high priced bench player. It would be more cost effective to sign one and use a rookie as the bench player.