Chris Davis back to Baltimore

elwood5892

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 07:54 AM)
It's not a massive win for Boras. He waited on a contract for weeks tried to market him as a OF and got 1 million more AAV. If anything the Orioles let him save face by not dropping the contract.

It's a huge win by Boras, landed even bigger deal than initially offered. Master play. He waited for weeks, pissing off everyone in the process and still got more than the initial offer. Has nothing to do with saving face, dude just got PAID

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 08:30 AM)
You don't get a lump sum and it's unlikely he makes 7 million in investments in four months when the global economy is spinning from oil. Boras did a tremendous job here. Absent the Orioles, what was Davis market? I wouldn't have guessed more than 20 mill aav

I don't see adding 1 million per year after months of negotiations as a tremendous job. It was technically an increase but nothing really.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 08:45 AM)
It's a huge win by Boras, landed even bigger deal than initially offered. Master play. He waited for weeks, pissing off everyone in the process and still got more than the initial offer. Has nothing to do with saving face, dude just got PAID

1 million dollars per year is technically a bigger deal. But after months of negotiations? He didnt really get anything.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 08:51 AM)
1 million dollars per year is technically a bigger deal. But after months of negotiations? He didnt really get anything.

The fact that he landed anywhere near the original offer much less eclipsed it, after the Os publicly said we're moving on, offer is off the table, etc is not a win for Baltimore.

The fact that it's already being viewed as a bad contract furthers my point.

The real point is this bodes well for the Sox. If Hahn can pull it off after this rollercoaster ride he is a ninja!

I try to generally avoid paralysis through over-analysis and just keep things simple and REAL (there can be so much clutter and white noise) ...

no matter the temporary real or staged stalemate on Davis, no matter the exact payment on the finalized deal and how it compared to the deal that had been on the table for months, that Boras was able to get that deal offered in the first place (on Chris effin Davis), that he and everyone could watch the position player/hitter market move as it did, that there could be no other serious landing spot for Davis, and that anything close to that original deal was still available later is classic Boras in every way.

The dude is the evil magician. The lawyer in me loves him; the baseball and Sox fan in me detests him.

Amazing that he could pull this off, but now that he's out of the way (just his foul air to still breathe), we'll have pretty quick resolutions on Cespedes, Upton, and Fowler.

PS ...

And Boras being Boras is why there is no effin doubt that the RH is already working on the best exit strategy for Carlos Rodon after getting a number of strong years out of him when the Sox hold all the cards.

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 09:14 AM)
I try to generally avoid paralysis through over-analysis and just keep things simple and REAL (there can be so much clutter and white noise) ...

no matter the temporary real or staged stalemate on Davis, no matter the exact payment on the finalized deal and how it compared to the deal that had been on the table for months, that Boras was able to get that deal offered in the first place (on Chris effin Davis), that he and everyone could watch the position player/hitter market move as it did, that there could be no other serious landing spot for Davis, and that anything close to that original deal was still available later is classic Boras in every way.

The dude is the evil magician. The lawyer in me loves him; the baseball and Sox fan in me detests him.

Amazing that he could pull this off, but now that he's out of the way (just his foul air to still breathe), we'll have pretty quick resolutions on Cespedes, Upton, and Fowler.

PS ...

And Boras being Boras is why there is no effin doubt that the RH is already working on the best exit strategy for Carlos Rodon after getting a number of strong years out of him when the Sox hold all the cards.

There's a reason MLB Network has banned his name being mentioned during draft broadcasts, not that every top 100 prospect and his parents doesn't know Evil Corp anyway.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 09:23 AM)
The thing is that no one was negotiating against them. He literally got $7 million for no reason.

The only reason was that the orioles threw him a bone to save face because they wanted davis back. All of the boras tatics of marketing him as a OF and waiting for months got him essentially nothing.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 09:29 AM)
The only reason was that the orioles threw him a bone to save face because they wanted davis back. All of the boras tatics of marketing him as a OF and waiting for months got him essentially nothing.

In the end, the story will be he got the second best deal for a position player (higher aav even than Heyward despite being three years older) and Ian Kennedy double the contract many felt he would get because of the draft pick compensation attached and 16 homers given up in Petco last year.

Edited by caulfield12

They didn't need to "save face". Where else was he going to go?

I just read there is more money now deferred than the original offer. Now Boras and Davis don't have to look like they went running back with their tails between their legs.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 04:29 PM)

i don't know, but i think Balt just screwed the pooch on this.... the deal will end when davis is what, 36-37 yrs old....

Would anyone on this board make the signing of Davis if they were in the Orioles shoes?

I think the answer to this question is a resounding "no."

And one more thing to add: I don't think this is good for the W'sox --> Cespedes. Why? Cespedes has to be looking at this deal saying, "I deserve about this much, this much, or more."

Edited by iWin4Ron

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 05:47 PM)
Would anyone on this board make the signing of Davis if they were in the Orioles shoes?

I think the answer to this question is a resounding "no."

i agree with you, no freaking way, they, Balt was in the drivers seat, they could have taken him thru age 34 with a opt out year at 32.

make no sense.