Turner in mix for 5th starter

southsider2k5

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 08:44 PM)
wait, did he use "jacob turner" and "fully healthy" in the same sentence?

ok, then.

shades of all the BS that was said about Felipe Paulino and the fans back then bought it .... hook, line and sinker

Where is balta?

I need some company that is just as mad as me with how things are going. LOL

I don't want to hear about god damn Jacob Turner.

I know its soxfest and they are talking about whatever the subject matter that is brought up but still.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 12:43 AM)
I'm sure they do want to see what he can do, but it's hard to see him displacing John Danks and his salary. Erik Johnson is probably the most at risk to lose a starting rotation spot.

and if EJ has a relapse on forgetting on how to pitch, who is to step in ???? remember Hector Noesi and his pitching in 2015 .... and the org having high hopes the org had on him based on his 2014 performance??

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 04:34 PM)
shades of all the BS that was said about Felipe Paulino and the fans back then bought it .... hook, line and sinker

Turner is 24 and the former 15th overall prospect in baseball.

Paulino was 30 and not a Top 100 prospect.

Turner likely won't be all that hot - but the Sox are the best team to see him succeeding with thanks to Don Cooper and Herm Schneider.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 09:10 PM)

Turner likely won't be all that hot - but the Sox are the best team to see him succeeding with thanks to Don Cooper and Herm Schneider.

Thank you.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 04:10 AM)

and i remember all the hype on Paulino going into the season. including the 1.7 mil on his salary....

so with all that stat you provided, what does this prove...... nothing, there is still a possibility of turner now getting fix or maybe not .

now for others who wish to add anything else, let me further explain, what i am talking about is adding another sp to the mix, for an insurance policy.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 09:31 PM)
and i remember all the hype on Paulino going into the season. including the 1.7 mil on his salary....

so with all that stat you provided, what does this prove...... nothing, there is still a possibility of turner now getting fix .

now for others who wish to add anything else, let me further explain, what i am talking about is adding another sp to the mix, for an insurance policy.

Since Q actually posted the differences, what do you actually have that makes them similar, other than their salary apparently.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 04:41 AM)
Since Q actually posted the differences, what do you actually have that makes them similar, other than their salary apparently.

and of course.... you always add great insight into everything.

i am done. :lol:

Paulino averaged roughly a 1.5 war between 2011-12.

Turner had one decent season in 2013 with Miami, his war was 1.4.

Thry're both -1 to -2 war cumulative for their careers. Paulino's still getting opportunities because he has a live arm and might be able to help someone out of the pen this year.

If they could get one Phil Humber season from either, pretty miraculous...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 02:41 PM)
FutureSox.com ‏@FutureSox 5m5 minutes ago

"We want to see what Jacob Turner can do now that he's fully healthy." Re: 5th starter

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 6m6 minutes ago

Turner in mix for 5th starter. No innings cap on Rodon

What about Turner makes the Sox think he's a ML pitcher? High ERA, High WHIP, low K rate.

Coop has another "fix 'em" project in Kahnle for this bullpen, a player we traded a promising young A Ball pitcher for. Cooper has been presented with several of these hard throwers that lack control over the past few years, with less than exemplary results. It would be nice for this one to work out, as it wasn't a complete scrap heap pickup.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 03:55 PM)
There's really nothing wrong with giving him a shot in spring training. It's not like they've guaranteed him a spot in the rotation. Everyone take a step back from the ledge.

and you have a point, i too have no problem for a shot, but not at the expense of getting a SP of note.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 10:57 AM)
Neither Turner nor Beck have anywhere near the credentials of E Johnson. They need to develop depth, but it also appears they don't trust Johnson (and he's not a Cooper guy). Maybe he's the one they should trade for a young OF.

Im not sure you understand the concept of depth. Turner and Beck are there for when someone in the rotation has issues. They need at leasr 6-7 starters throughout the year.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 10:57 AM)
Neither Turner nor Beck have anywhere near the credentials of E Johnson. They need to develop depth, but it also appears they don't trust Johnson (and he's not a Cooper guy). Maybe he's the one they should trade for a young OF.

Eric Johnson has credentials? Jacob Turner was the 9th overall pick of the 09 draft, so apparently he was seen as someone with a lot of promise. Both players came to the majors and s*** the bed. Not really sure why you think Johnson is so much better of a prospect. Turner at least had a decent 20 starts a few years ago

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 05:57 PM)

turner, beck, ej, will do great for depth, the sox need to add a SP who needs to redevelop his value. then have the other 3 provide depth and if injury, can start.

too bad on the sox not able to carry one of them as an extra.... it all depends on the full roster. 11 pitchers going north?