2016 AL Central catch-all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was talking about BULLPENS. "The Reds may have the worst bullpen in the history of the world." That was the quote.

Geez.

Before I get bombarded with bullpen stats, yes, I just cited an article that argued the Reds were on the way to being one of the worst bullpens in the history of baseball.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 19, 2016 -> 02:22 PM)
Obviously, I'm being hyperbolic, but Jennings, Putnam, Petricka, Duke and Albers wouldn't exactly be highly coveted at the moment. For the last ten days, we've had far and away the worst bullpen in the majors.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/cincinn...s-rumors-051816

Jennings has been great this year (2 ERA). 10 days of struggles for a bullpen doesn't make them the worst bullpen ever.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 19, 2016 -> 08:27 AM)
Jennings has been great this year (2 ERA). 10 days of struggles for a bullpen doesn't make them the worst bullpen ever.

Yes, Jennings was great in the Rangers' game (the double play ball was a bit lucky but better lucky than good)...he's been MUCH better than Zach Duke and should probably start taking some of those 7th and 8th inning opportunities against left-hand batters if Duke keeps giving up key hits in those situations.

That said, we don't have many true power arms that will line up with some of the better teams' pens, other than Nate Jones.

Even with this streak, the White Sox are still 4th in all of baseball and first in the AL in bullpen ERA. The Cincy pen ERA is 5.55 versus 3.21 for the White Sox. Yes they have had a bad streak, but to equate the two pens, even without Robertson is hyperbole at best.

Well it's time to get our first look at KC. Team has not resembled last year's team at all. Lot of errors. Pretty raunchy pitching staff. It would be very disappointing to get swept by KC (since Sale not pitching). Winning one would be a bummer considering the hacks they are pitching. I'd love to get 2 or 3 but Hosmer is still Hosmer and frankly he'll probably account for one of the three games by himself. Cain is still there and Salvy and they are White Sox killers. I'd say KC wins two or three of the three.

I am hopeful after those 2 series against them last year when we finally got our act together vs. KC.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 20, 2016 -> 02:04 AM)
Well it's time to get our first look at KC. Team has not resembled last year's team at all. Lot of errors. Pretty raunchy pitching staff. It would be very disappointing to get swept by KC (since Sale not pitching). Winning one would be a bummer considering the hacks they are pitching. I'd love to get 2 or 3 but Hosmer is still Hosmer and frankly he'll probably account for one of the three games by himself. Cain is still there and Salvy and they are White Sox killers. I'd say KC wins two or three of the three.

I am hopeful after those 2 series against them last year when we finally got our act together vs. KC.

Let's play the games before we start handing the Royals wins in every series we play them. Geez, if they had an NL uniform on we'd be saying our Sox should win minimum 2 of 3.

Edited by TheTruth05

QUOTE (flavum @ May 22, 2016 -> 03:06 PM)
Through 41 Games:

Sox 25-16

Cle 22-19

KC 21-20

Det 19-22

Min 10-31

Every team has flaws, but I'll take our position.

Something weird is going on because those standings are through Thursday night...

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-mlb-predictions/

White Sox currently at 57% chance to make the playoffs.

42/29/16/13 to win division (White Sox/Indians/Royals/Tigers)

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 26, 2016 -> 03:11 PM)
Moustakas to the DL with partially torn ACL

Huge blow. They're preparing to be without him for the rest of the year. Sucks for them with Gordon going on the DL too with a wrist injury. Those zap a players power.

Not feeling bad for them though. It is what it is. I still remember what it was like to lose Maggs and Thomas in 04.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ May 26, 2016 -> 08:05 PM)
Huge blow. They're preparing to be without him for the rest of the year. Sucks for them with Gordon going on the DL too with a wrist injury. Those zap a players power.

Not feeling bad for them though. It is what it is. I still remember what it was like to lose Maggs and Thomas in 04.

He shouldn't be out for the year if it's only the ACL and no surgery is required. Although it's probably all of June and July.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 26, 2016 -> 10:43 PM)
He shouldn't be out for the year if it's only the ACL and no surgery is required. Although it's probably all of June and July.

Unfortunately for them he needs surgery. Looks like they're seeking one more opinion, but they've pretty much accepted he'll need surgery.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/180406208/ro...ght-knee-injury

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ May 26, 2016 -> 10:54 PM)
Unfortunately for them he needs surgery. Looks like they're seeking one more opinion, but they've pretty much accepted he'll need surgery.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/180406208/ro...ght-knee-injury

That's too bad. If it is just a partial it must still be to unstable. Sometimes you can get away without the surgery. He;ll be ready for next year.

At least you guys have a #1 or #2 draft pick to look forward to next year.

Thanks for beating the Indians 4/6 and keeping the White Sox in the race, at least for now.

Yeah, nice to see even the Mariners and Red Sox can blow games in ugly fashion, too.

White Sox had a triple play (first of two this year) very reminiscent of the double play there to end the game.

Edited by caulfield12