2016 Cubs catch-all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 10:31 PM)
Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 40s40 seconds ago

Kyle Schwarber has ankle sprain and will undergo MRI tomorrow: The #Cubs expect to DL him

0 retweets 0 likes

Thats really hard to believe. Good news for them that its not something worse at the moment.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 08:16 AM)
Thats really hard to believe. Good news for them that its not something worse at the moment.

I immediately thought ligaments when I seen the injury. I really didn't think break for some reason.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 08:52 AM)
Those ankle ligaments could be in bad shape but I am not sure they would come out and say that.

Isn't a sprain techinically a ligament tear? Obviously there are differences in the degree of the tear, but a bad sprain is still a pretty bad injury. It just doesn't sound so bad.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 09:00 AM)
Well, there's sprain, strain and tear...with different degrees of severity, calling PTAC.

Guess Soler gets two weeks of of pretty much uninterrupted playing time now?

Technically speaking a sprain is an injury to a ligament, a strain is an injury to a muscle. They both have degrees of grades of injury. First degree is an injury with little tearing of fibers. Second degree is some fibers tron. Third degree is most of the fibers torn. There are also clinically disability attributes that go along with those but those are the physical characteristics of the injuries.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 08:56 AM)
Isn't a sprain techinically a ligament tear? Obviously there are differences in the degree of the tear, but a bad sprain is still a pretty bad injury. It just doesn't sound so bad.

That's exactly what a sprain is, and while the term itself doesn't suggest it's any more severe than a broken ankle (I think most would just assume it wasn't) there are differences that actually make it worse. I personally know because I sprained my ankle badly last year. The X Ray was clear of any breaks, however the MRI showed several tears to ligaments and tendons. My rehabilition was for over a month and it took awhile to do everyday activities without pain. This was with a Grade 2 sprain that I recovered quickly from.

Now, as a professional athlete with top doctors at his disposal who knows how long any DL stinct would be, but even for a less severe Grade 1 sprain Schwarber should be resting for a week or two.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 09:46 AM)
That's exactly what a sprain is, and while the term itself doesn't suggest it's any more severe than a broken ankle (I think most would just assume it wasn't) there are differences that actually make it worse. I personally know because I sprained my ankle badly last year. The X Ray was clear of any breaks, however the MRI showed several tears to ligaments and tendons. My rehabilition was for over a month and it took awhile to do everyday activities without pain. This was with a Grade 2 sprain that I recovered quickly from.

Now, as a professional athlete with top doctors at his disposal who knows how long any DL stinct would be, but even for a less severe Grade 1 sprain Schwarber should be resting for a week or two.

They can't speed up the healing process. They can however inject things to make the pain less. All depends on the amount of damage to the ligaments.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 09:46 AM)

With how that looked and how he reacted, they will be really lucky if it is only 1-2 weeks

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 09:52 AM)
With how that looked and how he reacted, they will be really lucky if it is only 1-2 weeks

If it's truly just a ligament injury anything short of a third degree near complete tear should only require a 15 day DL stint.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 09:52 AM)

The sounded pretty certain that a DL stint was going to happen, which is a minimum of 15 days. They sure don't think it is a minimal strain/sprain.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 09:56 AM)
If it's truly just a ligament injury anything short of a third degree near complete tear should only require a 15 day DL stint.

What is the worst case scenario? ACL/MCL Tear?

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 10:01 AM)
What is the worst case scenario? ACL/MCL Tear?

Those are the worst case because it's a surgery with the rehab time. however, it didn't appear that those were a concern. The reaction after the trainer did the tests didn't make it look like they were concerned about it. It also doubt they would have allowed him to try to walk if they thought it was the ACL. It's pretty obvious almost immediately if someone tears the ACL.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 10:08 AM)
Julie DiCaro ‏@JulieDiCaro 3h3 hours ago

ICYMI: Schwarber going to have MRI on his left knee & ankle today. Javy Baez may not be back right away after getting hit in the head.

Probably more MCL for the knee possible meniscus. They will look for the extent of damage to the ligaments of the ankle, possibly the fibular tendons laterally.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 10:24 AM)
Obviously I'm not a doctor, but that looked a lot worse than a sprained ankle. Looked like he blew his knee out.

Doubtful for the reasons I stated earlier. I don't know the Cubs trainer but as I said it's usually pretty obvious and they didn't react like it. Some players are just more "reactionary" than others.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 09:00 AM)
Well, there's sprain, strain and tear...with different degrees of severity, calling PTAC.

Guess Soler gets two weeks of of pretty much uninterrupted playing time now?

Nope. It sounds like he will still be in a platoon, just with La Stella instead. Bryant can play the OF with La Stella at 3rd.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 10:45 AM)
I know nobody cares about my fantasy team, but I had Schwarber as my catcher.

Good thing the Cubs signed Fowler eh?

They still have too much redundancy in their lineup, IMHO, but the depth for now is certainly good fortune.

At some point, though, they would probably want to strengthen their pitching and move some of these guys that won't get full seasons in Chicago.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 10:27 AM)
Doubtful for the reasons I stated earlier. I don't know the Cubs trainer but as I said it's usually pretty obvious and they didn't react like it. Some players are just more "reactionary" than others.

He didn't grab his knee at all just saying at first glance that what I thought. Then I seen that he grabbed his ankle.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 11:23 AM)
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 3m3 minutes ago

A lot of concern within the Cubs organization today about Kyle Schwarber's injury, and there is more concern about his knee than his ankle.

As there should be. In general knees are much more difficult to rehab.