Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 09:32 PM)
If you,are,making a big deal out of LaRoche preparing for the season, he just getting treatment wouldn't be effected by his son's presence.

Yes, but it's not all about LaRoche and his kid, which is something that LaRoche doesn't seem to understand. It's about his kid's omnipresence negatively affecting the rest of the clubhouse.

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 08:36 PM)
we should have upvotes on this site. I think that's a good idea I have.

I upvote this post!

My boss will let my kids tour the place or even shadow for a day. I don't understand the expectation that your kid can be around your job all of the time. It's weird to me and my job does not have showers and dressing rooms. It is a distraction. LaRoche seems like a good man to me, but I don't think the Sox are wrong at all in this case.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 09:34 PM)
Yes, but it's not all about LaRoche and his kid, which is something that LaRoche doesn't seem to understand. It's about his kid's omnipresence negatively affecting the rest of the clubhouse.

But KW said the kid wasn't a distraction and everyone liked him. So who is bulls***ting?

I guess what I don't understand is why is it OK to have a kid there a little less than half the time, but not OK to have him ther half the time or all the time?

Maybe the White Sox should institute a no kid allowed rule. That would be fine, but they should do it well before spring training starts. I would hope KW institutes a don't draft your kid and give him a $150k bonus policy. That didn't work out very well.

And it isn't like LaRoche is the only player who brings his kids around. Dan Hayes said Konerko had his boys around a lot. Remember Dusty' Bakers kid?

I also think comparing baseball with a regular job is pretty silly. Kids are allowed with a lot of teams including the White Sox.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 08:18 PM)
Defending a friend, nothing wrong with that.

But why does he have to do it on social media?

Can't people pick up their cell phone and actually talk to someone personally to express their support, or at least send them a text message?

What possible POSITIVE result will occur in this situation?

That LaRoche will get the idea that enough in the clubhouse have his back that he should push the issue publicly and "unretire," putting the White Sox (and the clubhouse) into a very uncomfortable situation?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 08:39 PM)
But KW said the kid wasn't a distraction and everyone liked him. So who is bulls***ting?

Nobody. Lots of new people in the clubhouse this season, and some of those new folks likely had an issue with it.

And it isn't like LaRoche is the only player who brings his kids around. Dan Hayes said Konerko had his boys around a lot. Remember Dusty' Bakers kid?

Were Konerko's kids around every day? Did they have their own lockers?

Dusty was the manager, and he made the rules.

I also think comparing baseball with a regular job is pretty silly.

True, it's much less appropriate for kids to be hanging out with a bunch of pro athletes who are cursing and having sexually suggestive conversations. Do you want your kids hanging out in a locker room that's been "decorated" by Nick Swisher?

Ozzie's kids are a good example of what can happen when you expose your kids to that kind of stuff.

Edited by Black_Jack29

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 08:34 PM)

Except that's been rebutted to an extent by some of the Dan Hayes article...what we're left with is the likelihood it was an issue with "some" players...which was enough to push it up the chain to Hahn and KW.

Obviously there were players who weren't bothered as much, such as Eaton. For example, it didn't affect the Nationals when they made the playoffs.

One would logically conclude it being brought to the forefront by one of our new veteran acquisitions who felt that having kids around 24/7 wasn't appropriate and not standard operating procedure in a majority of big league clubhouses.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 07:49 PM)
Nobody. Lots of new people in the clubhouse this season, and some of those new folks likely had an issue with it.

Were Konerko's kids around every day? Did they have their own lockers?

Dusty was the manager, and he made the rules.

True, it's much less appropriate for kids to be hanging out with a bunch of pro athletes who are cursing and having sexually suggestive conversations. Do you want your kids hanging out in a locker room that's been "decorated" by Nick Swisher?

Ozzie's kids are a good example of what can happen when you expose your kids to that kind of stuff.

?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 09:54 PM)
Can Eaton stop using Twitter? He already got in some trouble with the Oscars tweet and now he's actively Tweeting against the decision made by the front office of his own team? SMH.

He needs to STFU. These guys are already building all the excuses they need for a slow start. It's ridiculous. STFU and play baseball.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 08:54 PM)
Except that's been rebutted to an extent by some of the Dan Hayes article...what we're left with is the likelihood it was an issue with "some" players...which was enough to push it up the chain to Hahn and KW.

Obviously there were players who weren't bothered as much, such as Eaton. For example, it didn't affect the Nationals when they made the playoffs.

One would logically conclude it being brought to the forefront by one of our new veteran acquisitions who felt that having kids around 24/7 wasn't appropriate and not standard operating procedure in a majority of big league clubhouses.

OK, fair enough. "Some" players.

I agree with what you wrote. All clubhouses are somewhat different, and a sizable contingent of the current Sox clubhouse don't want kids hanging around all of the time. It's their clubhouse and they have the right to limit access for children.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 02:57 AM)
He needs to STFU. These guys are already building all the excuses they need for a slow start. It's ridiculous. STFU and play baseball.

He actually said the opposite tonight and they are closer than ever

@thekapman This White Sox story is one of the most bizarre I have seen in a long time. Good sources tell me it was a condition of LaRoche signing here.

@thekapman You are wrong. 100% that he could be there everyday. Otherwise he would not have signed with the White Sox.

• Like 1

QUOTE (ChicagoHeel @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 09:01 PM)
@thekapman This White Sox story is one of the most bizarre I have seen in a long time. Good sources tell me it was a condition of LaRoche signing here.

@thekapman You are wrong. 100% that he could be there everyday. Otherwise he would not have signed with the White Sox.

Was it in writing?

QUOTE (ChicagoHeel @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 04:01 AM)

Ugh this story just won't die

If it was in writing (unlikely, but possible) or a verbal/gentleman's agreement, you can be certain that a lawsuit might be coming.

Even in a "he said/she said" scenario between Hahn/KW, LaRoche and LaRoche's agent, it's not going to turn out well to look like they are going back on their promise basically because of his level of play deteriorating so badly. It will be termed a "hostile work environment" by LaRoche's lawyer.

All we're missing now are comments from the Trump and Clinton camps wading in.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 09:08 PM)
If it was in writing (unlikely, but possible) or a verbal/gentleman's agreement, you can be certain that a lawsuit might be coming.

A lawsuit over a gentleman's agreement would be laughed out of court.

That said, if Hahn or Kenny did promise LaRoche extra access for his kid, that definitely changes things.

QUOTE (palehose1 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 04:56 PM)
The issue that bothers me is that shouldn't the manager control his clubhouse? Why didn't Robin manage this? Whey didn't the players go to Robin? Seems like it went two levels too high in the organization.

Most likely because there were some players who were angry about the kid being there and others who were angry about the Sox treatment of LaRoche. You can't have part of the team angry with the day to day manager. He needs to work with them. KW took the blame as the president and as someone who doesn't see them day to day and doesn't work directly with their contract like Hahn.