Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 10:29 PM)
There's just no point to be insulting, or being a dick, to others posting opinions. Pretty common perspective friend.

Not trying to be a dick. Just sick of reading less than logical blow hard comments. This situation really isn't that hard to understand.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 11:18 PM)
I hear you, but that seems like a pretty thin reason to quit your profession. I mean, JR spoke with Laroche already, and he's still retiring, so I have to assume that JR is backing the org/Kenny. Otherwise you'd think they could've worked it all out as a misunderstanding. Reinsdorf knew and agreed, that's a hard point to ignore imo. It shows he thinks his guy was ultimately in the right.

Watch JR fire his ass tomorrow and throw this thing back in the spin cycle.

I look at the JR thing differently. Yes he is backing the org. but it could have gone down like this.

1. JR says that limiting his kids access is just the direction the organization is going to take and that's how it is.

2. LaRoche tells him this was gonna be this last year and understands JR decision but has made more then enough money in his life and would rather still retire then miss roughly a year of his kids' life.

3. They both leave the room and are happy with the outcomes. this is probably why LaRoche just said he retired bc of family and didn't tell the media any of the details.

4. KW opens his big mouth and s*** hits the fan.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 10:31 PM)
KW asked Adam several times to keep Drake off the field during drills as the org would be liable for any injury that occurred

to his boy. Adam flat out refused time and again to a belligerent degree. That is what set off Kenny and he wasn't the only one that was concerned. Ironically Kenny was more concerned about Drake's safety than Mr. #FamilyFirst. That's what some need to know about LaRoche's behavior.

this. Step off the ledge the select few that are still b****ing about this.

Wow I just read some of the quotes from Sale and Robin. And Jerry. WOW, this is a big deal. Sale talking about no free agent will want to join the Sox after this and Robin saying the LaRoche kid was very mature.

Kenny is a dork and wrong in this situation.

The way to solve this is have Jerry reprimand Kenny and have Hahn ask LaRoche back. See what happens. This should be the end of the KW era. Sounds like he handled this very poorly, ostensibly because Adam was such a miserable hitter last season.

QUOTE (Condor13 @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 10:32 PM)
I look at the JR thing differently. Yes he is backing the org. but it could have gone down like this.

1. JR says that limiting his kids access is just the direction the organization is going to take and that's how it is.

2. LaRoche tells him this was gonna be this last year and understands JR decision but has made more then enough money in his life and would rather still retire then miss roughly a year of his kids' life.

3. They both leave the room and are happy with the outcomes. this is probably why LaRoche just said he retired bc of family and didn't tell the media any of the details.

4. KW opens his big mouth and s*** hits the fan.

KW didn't leak the story tho....he responded once s*** had already hit the fan due to the media.

KW did his job here. LaRoche was too proud to take his employers advice. Good riddance. Everyone is happy and the Sox no longer have the sunk cost that is Adam LaRoche on the payroll. It's really a great situation for the Sox and their fans.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 04:31 AM)
KW asked Adam several times to keep Drake off the field during drills as the org would be liable for any injury that occurred

to his boy. Adam flat out refused time and again to a belligerent degree. That is what set off Kenny and he wasn't the only one that was concerned. Ironically Kenny was more concerned about Drake's safety than Mr. #FamilyFirst. That's what some need to know about LaRoche's behavior.

i think most of the fans on this site are on the same page of "in agreement" of the actions of the sox org in this.

but thanks for further clarifying the incident better.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 04:31 AM)

r u privy to any info on what is the idea of the sox FO, if sale does not dial it back a little in the immediate future.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 04:05 AM)
There are 29 other teams that would be happy to have you.

i don't know, i still think that kw did fall on the sword for the org, but it spiral out of control b/c of some hot headed players. this is a 1 player and management problem. others had no business getting involve.

If this is truth, then screw Laroche. And I believe it largely is.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 10:37 PM)
KW didn't leak the story tho....he responded once s*** had already hit the fan due to the media.

KW did his job here. LaRoche was too proud to take his employers advice. Good riddance. Everyone is happy and the Sox no longer have the sunk cost that is Adam LaRoche on the payroll. It's really a great situation for the Sox and their fans.

Absolutely agree with the bolded text above. Kenny did not make a statement until AFTER it was leaked that the reason was the kid, etc., in an attempt to defend the organization. And there's no doubt in my mind that part was leaked by the Laroche camp to get out in front of the spin machine and make KW look like the isolated bad guy.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 11:56 PM)
If this is truth, then screw Laroche. And I believe it largely is.

I think it depends on if he had an agreement or a clause in his contract. If he did then he was well within his right to ignore KW. If he didn't then LaRoche will have caused most of this.

The only person I will believe about the agreement at this point is JR. KW can't be trusted, neither can LaRoche.

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 10:47 PM)
As are other White Sox message boards that will welcome your holier than thou attitude. Totally up to you.

Hardly holier than thou. Just hard to respect those that jump off the bandwagon so fast. Nothing the Sox did was wrong or was botched. It was handled as well as it could have been. LaRoche is the moron that made all this a bigger deal than it needed to be - but he in turn did the the Sox an enormous favor - in which all Sox fans should be pumped about.

KW took the sword. Sure it got a bit hairy because Chris Sale is not a smart human, but that's not KWs fault. Bringing your kid to work 50-75 percent of the time is still way too much, and if AL couldn't make that work, fine - but thats hardly on KW.

Could you imagine the s*** storm that would have ensued if KW made Robin deliver the message???

QUOTE (Condor13 @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 11:02 PM)
I think it depends on if he had an agreement or a clause in his contract. If he did then he was well within his right to ignore KW. If he didn't then LaRoche will have caused most of this.

The only person I will believe about the agreement at this point is JR. KW can't be trusted, neither can LaRoche.

It was reported that there wasn't anything in his contract that said he could have his kid with him all the time. So it's a moot point. Maybe a verbal agreement but if the Sox are worried out safety of the kid or someone complained about him being there then the sox have the right to go back on their word

QUOTE (Condor13 @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 11:02 PM)

Sums it all up perfectly. I would add that if Laroche was belligerently blowing off KW for the past week, it's a pathetic thing to do in front of your kid and certainly shows zero leadership traits. And it also makes it perfectly acceptable grounds for the Sox to alter or call off any agreement previously made with Laroche if he was being a giant dick about the request. Unless it was in writing of course, which I highly, highly doubt.

Coming from Bucket, I'm going to now side with Kenny.

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 11:16 PM)
Ah, I understand now. So anyone that questions the Sox front office is jumping off the bandwagon. Got it.

The Sox were one of the lead stories on Good Morning America this week. Bob Costas called in himself to ESPN Chicago today because he wanted to talk about the situation. Plesac called it one of the strangest stories in baseball he's ever seen. Dan Patrick spent three segments on it. It was the lead story on SportsCenter.

But you're right, everything was handled in tip top shape by the White Sox, and LaRoche, the rest of the team, Hahn, Ventura and Reinsdorf were all in the wrong.

Dude, that's how the media rolls. Everytime they get something remotely contoversial to talk about it they do it until no one cares anymore. KW did the right thing. The Sox don't need a 14 yo kid in the clubhouse everyday. KW had a few guys come to him (or RV or RH) who then went to KW. I can guarantee you that this was all discussed prior to approaching AL. Everything looks like a clusterf***, but I doubt that it really is. In fact, if CS kept his yapper shut, no one would be talking about this anymore. KW did the right thing - and in turn, got the Sox 1/11 of their payroll space back. The man should be getting commended not crucified. Sale needs to shut up and pitch - and that is coming from one of his biggest fans that has maybe missed 5 starts in his career.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 11:32 PM)
Dude, that's how the media rolls. Everytime they get something remotely contoversial to talk about it they do it until no one cares anymore. KW did the right thing. The Sox don't need a 14 yo kid in the clubhouse everyday. KW had a few guys come to him (or RV or RH) who then went to KW. I can guarantee you that this was all discussed prior to approaching AL. Everything looks like a clusterf***, but I doubt that it really is. In fact, if CS kept his yapper shut, no one would be talking about this anymore. KW did the right thing - and in turn, got the Sox 1/11 of their payroll space back. The man should be getting commended not crucified. Sale needs to shut up and pitch - and that is coming from one of his biggest fans that has maybe missed 5 starts in his career.

Good post, put this s*** to bed. At this point, don't matter who did what to whom, just stop giving the media more talking points. Sale especially as the biggest local and national star has to shut his yap and get back to baseball. I get the feeling Chris thinks he's doing some service to Adam but he's too whatever to realize he's also doing a dis-service to the guys now actually on his team.

This is almost unprecedented except for the raucous Oakland A's of many years ago for players to be blasting management like this, especially in spring training. This is crazy stuff.

I would expect a horrible product on the field this year unless JR fixes this. It's obvious Hahn is not the fricking GM. Kenny needs to go away and let Hahn be the fricking GM!!!!

As this has continued to gain momentum and more comes out that (I believe) further indicts Williams as have handled it poorly, I believe this should be his last season. We've always been arguing about how much he meddles in team construction, now he has moved beyond that with this incident and has created a huge distraction. I'm not even saying he was wrong to limit clubhouse access. We're just past the point of establishing who's right or wrong -- because it's the players and their feelings that matter. Between Williams and ANYONE (even Drake Laroche) id pick the player. I guess we'll see how this translates to the field. In some alternate universe it may not have changed anything if the whole nonsense never came up to begin with, but i know I've just about reached my KW limit. Laroche isn't without blame, but he's a problem we'll be without. The next problem KW remains

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 05:45 AM)
Adam Eaton saying he was afraid to bring his dad today is some of the dumbest s*** I have ever heard. Either Eaton is the rat and is being too clever by half or he's a f***ing moron. Either way, he better produce on the field.

he is to busy trying to be mr. social media to worry about the truth.

eaton the rat.... or ... the rat eaton.

nice nick names.

What was different from last year to this year, other than player performance?

It's convenient to develop some of these anecdotes to paint management in a better light.

As much as LaRoche is just a weird guy raising his kid in an unconventional way, that's not really the point. This is about relationships and what was promised when he was signed. If in spring training 2015, they saw things that they didn't like such as Drake being in harms way, then that shouldn't have happened this year. Where are the rules and expectations PRIOR to spring training?

It's going to be interesting to see what happens today and over the next 6 months. In my opinion, the only guy that really wants Kenny Williams there is Jerry Reinsdorf.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 09:15 PM)
How do you arrive at that, do tell

It states the White Sox agreed to Drake being around as much as LaRoche wished. It states KW did tell him there was zero access.

KW could ask him to "dial it back" but if he had an agreement and didn't want to "dial it back" whether you think it is the right thing to do or not, it doesn't matter, he shouldn't have to "dial it back". The White Sox should be held to their agreement.

LaRoche said the White Sox did their due diligence when he made this request. That totally lines up with what Rick Hahn said at Soxfest 2015.

I just hope for those who go by "things change", you don't get a job someday where there is no contract, agree to a certain salary and when you get your first check the numbers don't add up. That happened to me many years ago. Believe me, things change won't fit the narrative when you are the one who was lied to.

The BS about his being on the field and getting hurt doesn't add up. He has been there over a year. If that was such a concern why wouldn't they have addressed this sooner instead of coming back to spring training giving him his own locker and uniform? I will hang up and listen for my answer.

Edited by Dick Allen

How come Kenny never mentioned safety to the press? How come this wasn't addressed last season? How come they gave the kid a locker and uniform during spring training this season? How come this wasn't address for a couple weeks this spring? How come it was still OK to do it, just not as much?

I think the answer is because it is BS.

As to his being on the mound during a drill, does anyone know exactly what kind of drill they were running? What kind of drill would compromise his safety being on the mound? There aren't many.

Edited by Dick Allen