Frazier's struggles

ronkark

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After 9 games in 1927 the 32 year old Babe Ruth was hitting .233 with only 1 homer and a .744 OPS. I think the Sox talk thread back then was "Ruth is washed up. Its clear he can't hit the fastball anymore. We should try to dump him for prospects". He managed to hit 60 homers and put up a 1.259 OPS that season. So, yeah, baseball takes time to unfold. Let's exhume Frazier.

Every starter not named Eaton, Melky and Lawrie are struggling so its not just Frazier that's hurting the offense. Frazier's struggles are cause for some concern but the same goes for Abreu, Jackson, Rollins, Avi and the two catchers. Can't replace em all.

Imo, there's no way any of those players struggling will continue to hit at their current numbers. All will improve to some degree, even Avi. The Sox are 8-4 with a struggling offense, imagine what they will be like when a few bats wake up. :)

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Apr 17, 2016 -> 03:52 PM)
Every starter not named Eaton, Melky and Lawrie are struggling so its not just Frazier that's hurting the offense. Frazier's struggles are cause for some concern but the same goes for Abreu, Jackson, Rollins, Avi and the two catchers. Can't replace em all.

Imo, there's no way any of those players struggling will continue to hit at their current numbers. All will improve to some degree, even Avi. The Sox are 8-4 with a struggling offense, imagine what they will be like when a few bats wake up. :)

Melky and Lawrie just turned it around too.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Apr 17, 2016 -> 12:34 PM)
Lol - such a silly thing to say. No contributor to this thread has acted as if he or she is "miserable", outside of maybe you and Dick Allen, given comments like this one and the overreaction by Dick in his earlier comments.

All that's going on in this thread is an acknowledgment by several astute posters of the fact that the baseball season is a marathon, not a sprint. So while the sprint of the past two weeks has been awesome and very enjoyable, there is a legitimate concern about sustainability given this team's shortcomings on offense. You can be a very happy person and have this concern.

I knew you would miss the point in order to point us all to how to be miserable about a winning streak. All DA did was post all of the same thing that people hoping for the sky to fall would be posting ahead of you.

QUOTE (michelangelosmonkey @ Apr 17, 2016 -> 06:33 PM)
After 9 games in 1927 the 32 year old Babe Ruth was hitting .233 with only 1 homer and a .744 OPS. I think the Sox talk thread back then was "Ruth is washed up. Its clear he can't hit the fastball anymore. We should try to dump him for prospects". He managed to hit 60 homers and put up a 1.259 OPS that season. So, yeah, baseball takes time to unfold. Let's exhume Frazier.

Great point. But after 12 games last year, LaRoche was hitting .212 and he ended the year hitting.207. The Sox were 7-5 after 12 games last year and 8-4 now so that is progress. Ironically they won the next to go to 8-5. Now if we lose tomorrow night......................

QUOTE (hi8is @ Apr 17, 2016 -> 05:56 PM)
Melky and Lawrie just turned it around too.

This is true and shows that there's at least some signs of life coming from the offense. Another thing worth noting is the Sox have had one scheduled day off, a postponed game and have played 2 of their first 12 games at home. Now they come back home for 7 straight games after starting the season 7-3 on the road, I'll take that. :)

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Apr 17, 2016 -> 06:07 PM)
Great point. But after 12 games last year, LaRoche was hitting .212 and he ended the year hitting.207. The Sox were 7-5 after 12 games last year and 8-4 now so that is progress. Ironically they won the next to go to 8-5. Now if we lose tomorrow night......................

Sox were 5-7 last season after 12. They won their 8th the 17th game of the season then lost 5 in a row to go to 8-14. So they can lose their next 10 and be right on last year's pace

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 17, 2016 -> 04:11 PM)
I'd like to see Frazier play better, but I'm not super concerned. Even if he doesn't meet expectations, I very strongly doubt we look back at the end of the year and see Frazier's performance as the thing that held us back. Also, FWIW, I can't think of a good reason why the switch from NL to AL would be an explanation for a big shift in production.

I went to spring training, I was lucky to be sitting with the co owner of dealership brother who live near the Angels practice field. I had a friend who ended up sitting behind me . My friend was not a fan of Konerko who didn't have a good season the year before and was not showing much to cheer about well the man sitting on the other side of me was Konerko's dad Unbenouncedd to my friend that Paul's dad was hearing everything he was saying about his son. Beer vendor came and they ordered4 beers not 5 and my friend moved to another seat. just shows you there is an adjustment period and frazier may get it. Konerko did well especially 2005 .

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ Apr 17, 2016 -> 06:24 PM)
I went to spring training, I was lucky to be sitting with the co owner of dealership brother who live near the Angels practice field. I had a friend who ended up sitting behind me . My friend was not a fan of Konerko who didn't have a good season the year before and was not showing much to cheer about well the man sitting on the other side of me was Konerko's dad Unbenouncedd to my friend that Paul's dad was hearing everything he was saying about his son. Beer vendor came and they ordered4 beers not 5 and my friend moved to another seat. just shows you there is an adjustment period and frazier may get it. Konerko did well especially 2005 .

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 17, 2016 -> 06:38 PM)
Frazier at least brings it with the glove. Something we couldn't say with the Dunns, LaRoches etc. of the world. Still way too early in the season. Hell, he leads our team in RBIs for god's sake.

Frazier's defense has been a HUGE plus this year. His bat will be fine.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 17, 2016 -> 07:59 PM)
I don't know why Thome is getting bad mouthed but you might want to check your old baseball cards. He crushed it for the Sox.

Thome's wRC+ by year with the Sox was 153, 150, and 122. If Frazier hits anything like Thome did for us then he'll be an MVP candidate.

As long as they continue to play good baseball, that will be enough for most.

Obviously the margin for error is razor thin when you're not scoring...and we saw that today with Quintana's error being the difference in the final score.

At any rate, it's hard to "expect" to win 2/3 at Tampa, and the Sox faced some pretty tough pitching as well (I know, I know...it's too early for tip your cap to Erasmo Ramirez) in Odorizzi and Moore.

I don't have the energy to think Frazier will be another bust from the NL who joined the Sox. I prefer to agree he'll rake in the Cell this year. I just can't believe he'd pull a LaRoche and completely suck. I bet Frazier heats up. Lots of guys can't hit on the road.

No, we can't expect Frazier/Abreu to stay at .214/.163 BA..........any more than we can expect Latos/Rodon to stay at 0.75/1.38 ERA. Right?

The point is one example of how our better than expected pitching has carried our worse than expected hitting. It should balance out, right? If so, will it balance out to something that will get 90 wins, 90 losses, or something in between?

SFF

Good thing he has 150 more games to figure something out right?

This is his first time seeing most of these pitchers around the league, give him a month at least.

The only numbers that matter right now are the W/L on the team record and I think 8-4 might be the best 12 games stretch of any Sox team in the past 5 years (almost not joking)

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Apr 18, 2016 -> 09:14 PM)
Would much rather have Trayce Thompson alone than this bum. Not to mention Micah Johnson and Frank Montas who may have stayed healthy if he was still with the Sox.
Give Davidson a chance. Frazier can play left field. Ihave a feeling Davidson will come through. Davidson seems frustrated he proved himself in spring training but got the cut anyway.