Jason >>>>>>>>>>> Hawk

ron883

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 08:13 AM)
To me it's not so much that Jason is better than Hawk, but the combination of Jason and Stone is SO much better than Hawk and Stone. The banter between Jason and Steve is refreshing compared to the stilted, uncomfortable dialogue between Hawk and Stone. There was a game last week when the Sox were losing, and there were moments of silence that lasted a minute or more.

When things are going good, Hawk is good...entertaining. When things are going bad, Hawk is really bad.

Actually I have caught Stone give Benetti the silent treatment a couple of times already too.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mean to disparage anyone posting here, but I don't know how you can listen to Benetti and Stone give you a professional broadcast and then pine for Hawk to come back. The game has obviously passed him by and it's time for a change. I only hope radio change is next.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 08:42 AM)
I don't mean to disparage anyone posting here, but I don't know how you can listen to Benetti and Stone give you a professional broadcast and then pine for Hawk to come back. The game has obviously passed him by and it's time for a change. I only hope radio change is next.

+1

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 08:42 AM)

Very clearly, Hawk isn't the same guy anymore. I really believe his eyes are failing him, which has led to a shortfall in his ability to see a lot of plays happening.

That said, his excitement and love of the game, along with this authentic portrayal of how he is feeling at any given moment are absolute gold to me. He is elated when I am elated. He is sad when I am sad. He is pissed when I am pissed. You just don't get that out of announcers anymore, except for a very few guys. It is one of the reason I absolutely love Pat Foley too. I found myself thinking "this is it?" when Abreu hit the extra inning walkoff the other day. I truly missed Hawk having a coronary on screen for a walkoff.

After saying all of that, I know it is time for a change, but that doesn't mean I want to let go of Hawk. The dude is the soundtrack to a good portion of my life. I know we had a thread talking about people overreacting to the death of a celeb or music star, but I will legitimately bawl when Hawk is gone.

I just love Hawk's emotion. As I have stated before, he does give it to the umpires too much, but he is great especially with wins. Yes, he doesn't see as well as he used to, but if I am smart enough to know he didn't see something correctly, I am also smart enough to really not need someone telling me a ball is hit to the shortstop when I can see it on the screen.

I like Jason. I think he is fine and will be fine, but his is a different type of broadcast. People hate Joe Buck. I like Joe Buck. His is a "professional" broadcast. IMO, they call baseball games very much the same.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 09:36 AM)
I just love Hawk's emotion. As I have stated before, he does give it to the umpires too much, but he is great especially with wins. Yes, he doesn't see as well as he used to, but if I am smart enough to know he didn't see something correctly, I am also smart enough to really not need someone telling me a ball is hit to the shortstop when I can see it on the screen.

I like Jason. I think he is fine and will be fine, but his is a different type of broadcast. People hate Joe Buck. I like Joe Buck. His is a "professional" broadcast. IMO, they call baseball games very much the same.

He is very Joe Buck.

Even the 'big moments" with Hawk just haven't been packing the punch for me lately. You can tell it's a physical restraint too. The HR calls take so long to get into, and you can feel him using his like whole body to get the Yes out.

I am ready for the change, but loved Hawk for many years. He gave us thing that fans from out of town knew about regarding the Sox.

But what I'm listening to now just is not the same. A home run is hit and 4 seconds after it hits the crowd he's revving up for it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 07:32 AM)
you must listen to the game on mute

You must not be listening to the game period.... Hawk used to go off on the umpires.

But a few years ago Selig and some others talked to him and he has calmed since... and more and more each year.

For example he used to go on TIRADES about Joe West. Now he will maybe mention once in a casual manner "Not to Mess with Joe West"

He has been way more mellow about the umpries for a few years now.

Edited by harkness

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 09:40 AM)
Actually I have caught Stone give Benetti the silent treatment a couple of times already too.

What people don't realize, because we've had Hawk nearby as a comparison, is that Steve Stone has an enormous ego. The silent treatment is Steve letting Jason off gently, because one thing Steve won't do is dare to say something he doesn't agree with. While you might think it would help the broadcast sometimes if Steve just agrees even when he thinks Jason said some minor thing that is incorrect, Steve will either go silent or correct him. Obviously, sometimes it's good to have a little disagreement, but Steve is obsessed with the being the smartest guy around.

Of course, Hawk is off the handle a good portion of the time which is probably why we don't get the best of Steve with Hawk in the booth because Steve is terrified of the possibility that someone think he endorses whatever Hawk says or the way Hawk says it. That's actually what made Hawk and DJ such a nice pairing: DJ didn't have the need to be better than Hawk, he was happy to play off of him. It's also what is making Jason and Steve work together better, because again Jason Benetti doesn't need to defend his ego.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 10:08 AM)
Very clearly, Hawk isn't the same guy anymore. I really believe his eyes are failing him, which has led to a shortfall in his ability to see a lot of plays happening.

That said, his excitement and love of the game, along with this authentic portrayal of how he is feeling at any given moment are absolute gold to me. He is elated when I am elated. He is sad when I am sad. He is pissed when I am pissed. You just don't get that out of announcers anymore, except for a very few guys. It is one of the reason I absolutely love Pat Foley too. I found myself thinking "this is it?" when Abreu hit the extra inning walkoff the other day. I truly missed Hawk having a coronary on screen for a walkoff.

After saying all of that, I know it is time for a change, but that doesn't mean I want to let go of Hawk. The dude is the soundtrack to a good portion of my life. I know we had a thread talking about people overreacting to the death of a celeb or music star, but I will legitimately bawl when Hawk is gone.

Great post, I agree with every word.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 02:44 PM)
What people don't realize, because we've had Hawk nearby as a comparison, is that Steve Stone has an enormous ego. The silent treatment is Steve letting Jason off gently, because one thing Steve won't do is dare to say something he doesn't agree with. While you might think it would help the broadcast sometimes if Steve just agrees even when he thinks Jason said some minor thing that is incorrect, Steve will either go silent or correct him. Obviously, sometimes it's good to have a little disagreement, but Steve is obsessed with the being the smartest guy around.

Of course, Hawk is off the handle a good portion of the time which is probably why we don't get the best of Steve with Hawk in the booth because Steve is terrified of the possibility that someone think he endorses whatever Hawk says or the way Hawk says it. That's actually what made Hawk and DJ such a nice pairing: DJ didn't have the need to be better than Hawk, he was happy to play off of him. It's also what is making Jason and Steve work together better, because again Jason Benetti doesn't need to defend his ego.

Great post, I agree with every word.

Being a bit older, I remember his having the fights with Harry Carry and the Cubs too. It wasn't that long ago that he wanted to be a GM or a team owner.

QUOTE (harkness @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 02:41 PM)
You must not be listening to the game period.... Hawk used to go off on the umpires.

But a few years ago Selig and some others talked to him and he has calmed since... and more and more each year.

For example he used to go on TIRADES about Joe West. Now he will maybe mention once in a casual manner "Not to Mess with Joe West"

He still complains, he is still a grumpy old man. Time for new blood

QUOTE (harkness @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 02:41 PM)

He continues to be the worst broadcaster in the city.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 04:55 PM)
Sone and Hawk both has large egos, and I'm pleasantly surprised that both have co-existed peacefully in the booth for as long as they have.

The way Stoney talks about JB makes it completely clear that he barely puts up with working with Hawk and is thrilled Hawk is on the way out.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 04:56 PM)
The way Stoney talks about JB makes it completely clear that he barely puts up with working with Hawk and is thrilled Hawk is on the way out.

Didn't Stoney sign a contract extension with the Sox a few years back? That doesn't give one the impression that he hates Hawk's guts (or, at least he didn't back then).

Stone is a pretty smart baseball mind. He'd be better suited to managing IMO than GM but you can tell he knows his s***. He has an excellent understanding of pitching IMO. He knows that even if you're throwing 98 without command and control you're not much. You can see he enjoys working with Jason, who lets him breathe a lot more. Thing is, Jason is too deferential at times.

I don't mind Stone. Hawk brings Stone down.

I liked how stone wasn't afraid to lay into RV a bit when Jimmy wasn't running on that 3-2 count where they hit into the DP. With Rollins, even with a mediocre jump, there is no excuse not to send him tied late innings or within a run either way on a 3-2 count no matter how many outs or who is batting.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 09:55 PM)
Sone and Hawk both has large egos, and I'm pleasantly surprised that both have co-existed peacefully in the booth for as long as they have.

Exactly. Stone and Hawk have great days and mediocre ones, I'd never say "bad days." The only times I don't like Hawk are when Stone says something and Hawk appears to be in a bad mood or know it all mood and says, "obviously." Or "that's obvious." Stone's just trying to help fill time, Hawk.

As long as Hawk isn't losing his eyesight (he was pretty bad on a couple homers on the first road trip) I like him with Stone. The new guy is OK so far. His voice doesn't annoy me, at least not yet, like some of the MLB announcers.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 09:08 AM)

Right.

Jason to me is meh... I miss Hawk. I've never had a problem with Hawk being a "homer".

I think the radio broadcast is a MUCH bigger issue. I think its a damn shame that the White Sox are on WLS. Being on a non sports oriented radio station is so awful. At least with the Score (or WCUB) they talk baseball. All you hear on WLS is right wing radio outside of the game broadcasts and White Sox Weekly. Even the pre and post game shows seem short. Any why aren't the pre and post game shows available on the At Bat app? When you try to get the pre and post game shows on the WLS stream, all you get is Steve Dahl podcasts.

The Sox being on WLS is awful. I wish they would have gone back to ESPN1000.

Edited by Chet Kincaid

I like Benetti. He's a better play-by-play guy than Hawk in the technical sense, and has a better sense of humor. But he doesn't have Hawk's passion for the Sox (then again nobody does).

My ideal Sox play-by-play guy would be the 1990s version of Hawk. But since that guy is gone and never coming back, I welcome Jason.

Edited by Black_Jack29