Jason >>>>>>>>>>> Hawk

ron883

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 2, 2016 -> 07:55 AM)
harkness told me that this doesnt happen anymore. At least not in the past 2 years since he got a talking to. You must have been watching something else

I guess you missed the part where he said it was a great umpired series and THEN this guy did what he did.

The last couple years Hawk has been trying to be nice to the umpires (because he was given directives).

The other day was the first day in a long while where the umpire incurred so much of his wrath... and deservedly so.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (harkness @ May 2, 2016 -> 10:37 AM)
I guess you missed the part where he said it was a great umpired series and THEN this guy did what he did.

The last couple years Hawk has been trying to be nice to the umpires (because he was given directives).

The other day was the first day in a long while where the umpire incurred so much of his wrath... and deservedly so.

Nothing has changed in the past two seasons.

Jason has been a very good play by play guy so far. He still needs a little work but that will come with experience. That being said, when the Sox are going good I would still rather have Hawk calling the games. Do some of his catch phrases get old? Yes. Do I get annoyed when he goes silent after a bad play by the Sox. Yes. Does he overly criticize umps at times. Yes. But when it's a 5-5 tie in the top of the 8th inning and Todd Frazier gets into one would I rather have Hawk making the call right now versus Jason? Hell Yes!!

Watching the game with Hawk calling it is like watching a game with your buddies. He feels all the same emotions you do during the game and while it may not be the most professional way to call a game it helps provide some very memorable calls that will stick with me as long as I'm alive. The man has also come up with some of the better nicknames in the history of the game.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (shysocks @ May 2, 2016 -> 08:50 AM)
I've now read approximately 950 defenses of Hawk proclaiming "PEOPLE DON'T LIKE HIM BECAUSE HE IS A HOMER BUT THAT IS WHY I LIKE HIM" since the last time I saw somebody complaining about him being a homer.

Let me tell ya folks, there are plenty of other reasons he's no longer good at his job. Him cheering for the Good Guys isn't even a factor.

It's my favorite part of the discussion. "Hawk may be a homer, but he's our homer", while zero people are complaining about the fact that he is a homer. His homerism is the only good thing left about him, everything else is why he needs to go.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 2, 2016 -> 10:55 AM)
It's my favorite part of the discussion. "Hawk may be a homer, but he's our homer", while zero people are complaining about the fact that he is a homer. His homerism is the only good thing left about him, everything else is why he needs to go.

On the flip side, Yaz is mentioned more in this thread than Hawk mentions him on the telecast. I haven't heard one Yaz story this season.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 2, 2016 -> 10:59 AM)
On the flip side, Yaz is mentioned more in this thread than Hawk mentions him on the telecast. I haven't heard one Yaz story this season.

Well, it was the orioles this weekend so lots of Aparicio and Robinson talk. I was surprised he didn't compare our staff to the Palmer staffs of yore thou.

One thing I like about Benetti is he tweets about the sox games when he's not annoucning them. I like that I know he loves his job and being the announcer.

I think he'll get a lot better though. I'm sure the sox handled him telling him they want him to be himself, not hawk. But broadcasting takes time and he's probably figuring out what that means.

QUOTE (shysocks @ May 2, 2016 -> 09:50 AM)
I've now read approximately 950 defenses of Hawk proclaiming "PEOPLE DON'T LIKE HIM BECAUSE HE IS A HOMER BUT THAT IS WHY I LIKE HIM" since the last time I saw somebody complaining about him being a homer.

Let me tell ya folks, there are plenty of other reasons he's no longer good at his job. Him cheering for the Good Guys isn't even a factor.

I don't get that sentiment either. It seems like a self esteem issue.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 2, 2016 -> 10:39 AM)
Nothing has changed in the past two seasons.

That is just plain false... but I can tell people are going to stick to their guns no matter what.

I'm not even saying he is better or worse overall. But he is for sure without a doubt more mellow the past couple years.

Wow is all I can say really...

Edited by harkness

"Oh, my goodness" vs. "HELL YES!"

Seems that Hawk wins with the young generation there for 1) being cool enough at his age to quasi-curse on tv, and 2) despite being older, not seeming like he's coming from a 1950's episode of Leave It To Beaver, "well, gosh Wally..."

QUOTE (harkness @ May 2, 2016 -> 05:03 PM)
That is one of the worst calls I've seen in my two years of soxtalk. Totally blew that call. I can tell people are going to stick to their guns no matter what. They like making the show about them.

I'm not even saying he is better or worse overall. But he is for sure without a doubt more mellow the past couple years.

Mercy! is all I can say really...

Nice try Hawk

The one thing I was impressed with from that interview was the idea of spending 750 minutes or 12 1/2 hours per team learning all the players before a series.

Doubt Hawk has done any homework like that in years, other than his usual bantering around the BP with the players and coaches. That's quite valuable, but it's not enough in 2016 to incorporate all the more modern aspects of sports broadcasting into a 3+ hour window 81 times per year.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 3, 2016 -> 01:44 AM)
Switching from Hawk to Bennetti is like going from your old faithful dog with his bad eyesight and rickety joints and even more rickety bowels to a new puppy. Puppy's are cute and all but I grew up with that damn old mutt.

That is one hell of an analogy. :lol:

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 3, 2016 -> 01:44 AM)
Switching from Hawk to Bennetti is like going from your old faithful dog with his bad eyesight and rickety joints and even more rickety bowels to a new puppy. Puppy's are cute and all but I grew up with that damn old mutt.

And actually being able to switch between the two has been nice. I've been eager to hear a new voice for a while, but I still love Hawk in smaller doses. I'll enjoy this setup while it lasts, because I'm sure Bennetti will be taking over full time in the near future. This season could be a nice sendoff for Hawk if the team can keep it up.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 3, 2016 -> 12:15 AM)
That is one hell of an analogy. :lol:

Thanks. I'm always kind of upset when I see these threads about how bad Hawk is or has become. The lack of sentiment seems hurtful to me. It's hard for me to understand how any Sox fan can dislike Hawk or go from liking him to disliking him. To me it's like disliking your grandmother because now that she has Alzheimers she can't remember who you are.

Just because that old dog is now a pain in the ass doesn't mean you stop loving him and forgetting all you've been through together.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 3, 2016 -> 09:20 AM)
Thanks. I'm always kind of upset when I see these threads about how bad Hawk is or has become. The lack of sentiment seems hurtful to me. It's hard for me to understand how any Sox fan can dislike Hawk or go from liking him to disliking him. To me it's like disliking your grandmother because now that she has Alzheimers she can't remember who you are.

Just because that old dog is now a pain in the ass doesn't mean you stop loving him and forgetting all you've been through together.

Bravo, Sir! Wonderfully said.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 3, 2016 -> 02:15 PM)
The biggest problem is that Steve Stone sucks with Hawk. The Benetti pairing is bringing the best out of Stone. People better get used to it though because I think Jason Benetti will be the voice of the White Sox for a long time.

Very true. Hawk is grouchy at least 40 percent of the games I'd say. Stone and Bennetti definitely are having more camaraderie together.

QUOTE (AJUribe @ May 6, 2016 -> 03:55 AM)
Gave Jason a chance, l'm sorry but he sucks. I turn on music now when he announces.

Total nerd, makes lame jokes, only positive is stone gives more insight.

Interesting post. One Sox fan turns the sound down cause of JB. I haven't noticed him being that bad though he got into the cigar jokes with Stoney. I found it OK since cigars were in the news with the Sox giving a box of them to Big Papi.

QUOTE (AJUribe @ May 5, 2016 -> 10:55 PM)
Gave Jason a chance, l'm sorry but he sucks. I turn on music now when he announces.

Well you should have 162 games each over the next 20 or so years to catch up on your music.

QUOTE (AJUribe @ May 6, 2016 -> 03:55 AM)

This certainly won't be popular but I concur. I would also add that although he might not quite be khaki pants talking, he certainly is in the mold of the stereotypical "broadcasting school" voice. In fairness to Jason, I have the MLB package and I find most modern day baseball announcers very forgettable.