Jason >>>>>>>>>>> Hawk

ron883

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (oldsox @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 08:49 PM)
Binetti spends too much time trying to be cute. Just call the game. Why does he keep talking to Stone about the heater in the booth? Not funny. Just call the game and let it come to you.

Yea good call with the cute thing. That for sure needs to be reigned in quite a bit. Even makes stone awkward and stone tries to be cute alot too.

Overall, it is what it is. We now have our announcer that blends in to the background like every other team's guy. He has the standard announcer voice and clearly never played sports, let alone pro ball- but that's just like every other announcer.

Gone soon are the days of insight into the human side of the game that only comes from experience. But that's what most of the fans on here wanted. We now have the guy that comes with batteries right out of the announcer box. He will never be remembered, revered or even talked about. Kinda feel bad for him that his fate is already decided as a nobody and a never-will-be. Not his fault he has to follow one of the all-time top 5 greats.

God his HR call sucks. :(

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 09:05 PM)
Yea good call with the cute thing. That for sure needs to be reigned in quite a bit. Even makes stone awkward and stone tries to be cute alot too.

Overall, it is what it is. We now have our announcer that blends in to the background like every other team's guy. He has the standard announcer voice and clearly never played sports, let alone pro ball- but that's just like every other announcer.

Gone soon are the days of insight into the human side of the game that only comes from experience. But that's what most of the fans on here wanted. We now have the guy that comes with batteries right out of the announcer box. He will never be remembered, revered or even talked about. Kinda feel bad for him that his fate is already decided as a nobody and a never-will-be. Not his fault he has to follow one of the all-time top 5 greats.

My man

Gone are the days of comparing every single player to Ted Williams and Carl Yasztremski because you are too senile to name a player from the current generation.

Gone are the days of saying every player is the " best in the American League " because you are too old to think of a different adjective

Gone are the days of blaming the umpires every single day just because your bosses didn't put together a good enough team

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 09:26 PM)
Gone are the days of comparing every single player to Ted Williams and Carl Yasztremski because you are too senile to name a player from the current generation.

Gone are the days of saying every player is the " best in the American League " because you are too old to think of a different adjective

Gone are the days of blaming the umpires every single day just because your bosses didn't put together a good enough team

This is uncomfortably harsh on the "old" thing.

Benetti is so good. He and Stoney are going to be special for years.

Hawk or no Hawk, I'm just going to enjoy the new home broadcast. Also, I'm relieved they found a good replacement when Hawk inevitably retires.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 09:43 PM)
I don't know if this has been answered or not, but is there a possibility of Hawk doing more home games than originally scheduled this year if the team is good and in contention?

Can't do that to Jason. It would have to be explicitly in his contract and I'm sure the White Sox wouldn't want to do that. Jason is both cheaper and the future of the broadcast.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 09:26 PM)

I actually haven't heard Hawk really complain about umpires for nearly two full seasons...

I'll ad "Gone is originality"

Binetti spends too much time trying to be cute. Just call the game. Why does he keep talking to Stone about the heater in the booth? Not funny. Just call the game and let it come to you.

Yeah! He should be talking about each players golf game like a real announcer!

QUOTE (harkness @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 09:55 PM)
I actually haven't heard Hawk really complain about umpires for nearly two full seasons...

I'll ad "Gone is originality"

Hawk's complained several times about umpires in his few games this season...not to mention the only thing he still had going - his homerun call - is now 0 for 2016 on being able to tell when a ball will clear the fence within 30 seconds of it landing.

Jason had me today with "Matt Like Reflexes" after the double play.

1) Hawk tries to be cute more than any goddamn announcer not named Stacey King. It's what makes Hawk.

2) God forbid someone trained for the job got hired. We should bring in Frank Thomas or Scott Podsednik or Aaron Rowand.

3) We need more insight into Ted Williams and Yaz.

4) You have no idea how he'll be remembered. It's his first month on the job. Let him grow into it.

5) Hawk stopped being an all-time great a long time ago. This is like saying the Bulls next point guard has to follow one of the greatest Bulls of all-time.

6) His home run call does suck.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 10:23 PM)
Hawk's complained several times about umpires in his few games this season...not to mention the only thing he still had going - his homerun call - is now 0 for 2016 on being able to tell when a ball will clear the fence within 30 seconds of it landing.

Jason had me today with "Matt Like Reflexes" after the double play.

Hawk might have said "he missed that one" if that's what you mean by complaining about umpires...

Which isn't what people are referring to - they are referring to the epic rants of years past... which to be honest I kind of enjoyed because it was venting the same frustration I felt.

Hawk has been quite nice to umpires the past couple... he has changed his tone a lot.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 05:09 PM)
Hearing Jason next to Stone has been a joy. Hawk just keeps getting worse and worse. It is nice hearing a color guy that can actually provide some solid input. I can't wait for Hawk to retire. What have you guys thought of Jason so far?

Isn't Jason Play By Play?

That and his car, I could never hear about again. At least when Hawk tells the same story over and over, it is about something baseball related.

To me it's not so much that Jason is better than Hawk, but the combination of Jason and Stone is SO much better than Hawk and Stone. The banter between Jason and Steve is refreshing compared to the stilted, uncomfortable dialogue between Hawk and Stone. There was a game last week when the Sox were losing, and there were moments of silence that lasted a minute or more.

When things are going good, Hawk is good...entertaining. When things are going bad, Hawk is really bad.