John Danks should never start for the White Sox again

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The irony is that ESPN must have picked that Wednesday game to show on primetime for the potential offensive fireworks with both Danks and Buchholz going.

Probably a lot more compelling tv than watching teams struggle against a knuckleballer (although that can be fascinating for kids and baseball purists, I suppose).

Logically, Erik Johnson probably deserves 2-3 starts just to see what happens. They know what they're going to get out of Gonzalez. Turner has to pass through waivers, although he could be the choice if he continues to improve from his first couple of starts. The weird thing about Johnson is his inconsistency with not only control but "stuff" as well, which has led many to speculate it's more mental/psychological than physical.

On an encouraging note, Adams, Fulmer and Danish have been doing pretty good recently, but the latter two would be in that "if our RH relievers like Petricka or Putnam fall apart" bullpen replacements more than as starters in all likelihood.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 2, 2016 -> 07:48 PM)
What would you say if you woke up and this thread title was a matter of fact?

Well, now that's a cryptic post from you if I've ever seen one.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 2, 2016 -> 09:48 PM)

Would be bittersweet. I'm sick of Danks because he's ineffective, but I used to love him. It's time to try other guys. Danks will get lit up again if he goes against Boston.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ May 2, 2016 -> 10:18 PM)
Would be bittersweet. I'm sick of Danks because he's ineffective, but I used to love him. It's time to try other guys. Danks will get lit up again if he goes against Boston.

I have a hard time getting too attached to players now. Used to be easier when I was younger. I just root for the laundry for the most part. Don't get me wrong I still have favorites and guys I like more than others but Danks was good, now he's not so it's easier for me to just cast him off.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 2, 2016 -> 10:13 PM)
AA had a late scratch for a starting pitcher as NSS. Maybe related to an organizational shake up?

I hope not. Have you seen Brennan's stat line this year? Not sure if that's who you were suggesting, but Danks is actually a better option than he is right now.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ May 2, 2016 -> 10:24 PM)
I hope not. Have you seen Brennan's stat line this year? Not sure if that's who you were suggesting, but Danks is actually a better option than he is right now.

No I mean he'd go up to AAA since they'd be short a pitcher and someone would get called up from there.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 2, 2016 -> 10:23 PM)
I have a hard time getting too attached to players now. Used to be easier when I was younger. I just root for the laundry for the most part. Don't get me wrong I still have favorites and guys I like more than others but Danks was good, now he's not so it's easier for me to just cast him off.

I'm still young enough to where I get attached to some. As I get older I'm definitely moving towards the symbol on the front rather than the name on the back.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 2, 2016 -> 07:48 PM)

"Holy s***. That's good news. f***, that sucks."

There's really no difference between Danks's fastball and his changeup... the fastball comes out 87, 88, the changeup comes out 86, and he really has no command on the pitches. The Orioles announcers were talking about Danks trying to use trickery by throwing changeups before his fastball because he threw a couple at 86 and 87, and I was thinking "no, if he wanted to throw a real fastball he would have. He can't."

QUOTE (hi8is @ May 2, 2016 -> 08:07 PM)
Well, now that's a cryptic post from you if I've ever seen one.

LOL why do the guys with inside info always want to tease us in that way ? Is there some commandment that says " Thou shalt not say anything unless you make your meaning mysterious."

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 3, 2016 -> 07:50 AM)
LOL why do the guys with inside info always want to tease us in that way ? Is there some commandment that says " Thou shalt not say anything unless you make your meaning mysterious."

Actually, yes... That's pretty much it :)

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 3, 2016 -> 07:52 AM)
Just had a crazy thought . What if Danks retired and left that money on the table like LaRoche did .

Reminds me of some Areosmith song... How'd the chorus go again??

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 3, 2016 -> 09:52 AM)
Just had a crazy thought . What if Danks retired and left that money on the table like LaRoche did .

It's a nice thought, but he shouldn't. The Sox took the risk when they signed him.

I could see him hitting the DL today. Try to clear his head for a couple weeks.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 3, 2016 -> 09:57 AM)
It's a nice thought, but he shouldn't. The Sox took the risk when they signed him.

I could see him hitting the DL today. Try to clear his head for a couple weeks.

The DL might not work if he isn't really injured. Plus, why would he voluntarily fake an injury?

Piggybacking off of what Brian has said, a local sports radio host that may or may not be on the air at this moment told me they discussed releasing Danks upon arriving home from road trip. This same host tweeted about the possibility yesterday. That's all he had. I believe that this is happening. May not be by tomorrow though. We shall see.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 3, 2016 -> 09:59 AM)
The DL might not work if he isn't really injured. Plus, why would he voluntarily fake an injury?

Because it's a better option than getting released or Dfa'd.

He shouldn't start tomorrow. It's throwing away a game.