5/11 - White Sox @ Rangers

Like many people, I went to sleep when the score last night was 10-5, thinking it was in the bag. I woke up 5 seconds before the 7th run in the 8th was scored via home run.

The bullpen was just gassed, I guess.

Edited by lostfan

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 11, 2016 -> 09:46 AM)
I don't have a good feeling about today.

Latos + warm weather + a dangerous lineup = disaster

I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it.

Do you make this post in every game thread

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 11, 2016 -> 09:52 AM)
Do you make this post in every game thread

:lol: Had the same thought.

Bolstered by walkapalooza last night, the Sox now have the third highest walk rate in the AL. Every regular except Austin Jackson and Dioner Navarro is above his career averages, many by a significant amount. I do wonder how long that'll continue.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ May 11, 2016 -> 10:01 AM)
Hamels has had s*** control this year and our offense has been taking a ton of walks the last few weeks.

The Rangers have won like 20 of 21 starts when Hamels pitches .... so .....

And his control isn't that bad. 4 walks one game. 3 in a few. So not great - but he's also striking out like 7 a game.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ May 11, 2016 -> 10:20 AM)
The Rangers have won like 20 of 21 starts when Hamels pitches .... so .....

And his control isn't that bad. 4 walks one game. 3 in a few. So not great - but he's also striking out like 7 a game.

Among qualified starting pitchers, he's eighth in walk rate at 11.3%, that's pretty bad.

1 bad loss with a taxed bullpen and some posters (here and the twitter world) are worried about everyone needing a day off. Damn talk about overreaction. Hopefully the Sox win but if they don't it's really ok, this is a really tough series. but I really hope just so the overreaction can die before we have a day off full of it.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 11, 2016 -> 09:46 AM)
I don't have a good feeling about today.

Latos + warm weather + a dangerous lineup = disaster

I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it.

I seem to remember a lot of people saying the same exact thing about his last start against the Rangers just a mere few weeks ago

There's no reason to overreact simply because Latos isn't going to be an undefeated pitcher and few would be shocked/surprised if we lost today.

After all, we were 8-2, lost 3 games in a row and played like crap and at worst we're only talking lose twice in a row when we have a 5/7 game lead in the division. We also played pretty lousy against the Orioles and I want to say the Rays. You never really expect to take 2/3 in Texas, and you're usually happy with one. Usually being the key word.

QUOTE (Dunt @ May 11, 2016 -> 10:00 AM)
I seem to remember a lot of people saying the same exact thing about his last start against the Rangers just a mere few weeks ago

22-1 when Sale/Quintana/Latos/Gonzalez start.

He can't lose with those odds!!! Alert Las Vegas.

Obviously, he was great to start the season and then he hit a speed bump the last couple of outings but still kept the team in the game, which is all you can ever expect out of a 5 starter. From that perspective, he could go 2-7 his next 9 and the team would still be perfectly fine if Rodon simply did his job as expected. And, as mentioned, we've actually seen an uptick in his velocity...which is encouraging.

With the way last year ended, there were a lot of assumptions that Rodon was going to be a 13-15 game winner this year. That still might happen, and he SHOULD be 2-4, but Jose Quintana knows all about just being contented with 9 wins despite pitching his --- off.

Edited by caulfield12

And I'm still trying to figure out what Austin Jackson did that was so egregious.

It wasn't like Sands' play the night before. It might have been a slight misread and it almost felt like he wasn't tracking it....that it either carried a lot better than he expected to the deepest part of the park OR he drifted too much with it instead of sprinting across like that amazing basket catch over the weekend where he had a 96% route accuracy and was going at almost 20 MPH.

Watching it on video a bunch of times, it just feels like he wasn't quite running all out and misjudged it a hair, but, once again, that ball was crushed by Desmond and certainly not close to an error. It's probably one that he catches 7 or 8 times out of 10, though.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 11, 2016 -> 11:20 AM)
And I'm still trying to figure out what Austin Jackson did that was so egregious.

It wasn't like Sands' play the night before. It might have been a slight misread and it almost felt like he wasn't tracking it....that it either carried a lot better than he expected to the deepest part of the park OR he drifted too much with it instead of sprinting across like that amazing basket catch over the weekend where he had a 96% route accuracy and was going at almost 20 MPH.

Watching it on video a bunch of times, it just feels like he wasn't quite running all out and misjudged it a hair, but, once again, that ball was crushed by Desmond and certainly not close to an error. It's probably one that he catches 7 or 8 times out of 10, though.

He had time to keep running for that ball. I think he misjudged it a little bit.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ May 11, 2016 -> 10:12 AM)
I'm still pissed the f*** off about last night's game.

Me too. It was however the first game of the year that the bullpen lost. Move on and come back strong.

Last night's loss should not have happened, not when you're up by that much in the later innings. Blame Ventura if you must, but I can't believe the bullpen gave up so many home runs. Hopefully KW and RH take notice and go get another reliever, bat and fifth starter...unless they feel the Sox can win and get into the playoffs as is.