Official 6/11/16 Royals @ White Sox Gamethread

clyons

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jun 11, 2016 -> 04:22 PM)
When a team like Atlanta plays horribly, people say they suck. When a team with bigger names and a higher payroll like the Sox play horribly, people chalk it up to a rough stretch. No, they don't "look like" anything. They aren't good. That's all there is to it.

Bingo

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jun 11, 2016 -> 05:22 PM)
When a team like Atlanta plays horribly, people say they suck. When a team with bigger names and a higher payroll like the Sox play horribly, people chalk it up to a rough stretch. No, they don't "look like" anything. They aren't good. That's all there is to it.

One good pitching performance tomorrow from whoever is pitching and they suddenly "look" solid.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jun 11, 2016 -> 02:50 PM)
This bunting thing sure is working great.

Highlight reel worthy. So brilliant to take the bat out of your three hitters hand in the first inning.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 11, 2016 -> 03:52 PM)
Serious question. After watching the game do you honestly think they care about winning series? These guys show up to get a paycheck. They have every reason to want to kick KC's ass and they look like the deadest team in America.

If you don't think they care, why should you?

My only comment is this.

Regarding the bunt in the first inning. It doesn't matter if Melky did it on his own or Robin called it. Doesn't matter if he was bunting for a hit or to sacrifice.

You have a clean up hitter hitting .215!!!! Who strikes out a lot coming up to bat next.

This isn't Frank Thomas and his .300 average with a great knowledge of the strike zone is it? Or a Magglio or Carlos Lee...guys who were hitting .280, .290 or over .300

Melky or Robin or whomever should know the clean up hitters capabilities.

That's not smart baseball in my opinion.

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jun 11, 2016 -> 05:19 PM)
My only comment is this.

Regarding the bunt in the first inning. It doesn't matter if Melky did it on his own or Robin called it. Doesn't matter if he was bunting for a hit or to sacrifice.

You have a clean up hitter hitting .215!!!! Who strikes out a lot coming up to bat next.

This isn't Frank Thomas and his .300 average with a great knowledge of the strike zone is it? Or a Magglio or Carlos Lee...guys who were hitting .280, .290 or over .300

Mark

He's also 2nd in the MLB in HRs and has 40+ RBIs. Literally almost every big hit the Sox have had this season, Frazier has had it.

With you as manager, Frazier would probably be hitting 9th with that .215 average. To me, that's not very smart baseball.

You sound like a meathead fan.

Edited by SoxPride18

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jun 11, 2016 -> 05:19 PM)
My only comment is this.

Mark

Maybe maybe not. He was trying for a hit which would have loaded the bases with no outs. Ducks on the pond and one out and your 4 and 5 guy up, you should get runs. It seems the one person who doesn't know the clean up hitter's capabilities is you.

If he was sacrificing, he would have shown it to make sure he would have bunted to the 3rd base side. You always want the 3rd baseman fielding a bunt with a runner advancing to 3rd. If he only got it slightly harder, he would have beaten it out, but bunting to first in a sacrifice situation with a gold glove left handed first baseman wouldn't make much sense .

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 11, 2016 -> 11:01 PM)
If you don't think they care, why should you?

Cause I'm a fan. Cause Royals fans here mock me because I root for such a pathetic baseball team owned by the KC team.

Please Ventura, tell your team: NO MORE BUNTING EVER. They cannot bunt. Even though we rarely score no matter what we do at the plate, at least eliminate bunting. Guys cannot do it so tell them NEVER do it.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 11, 2016 -> 05:35 PM)
Cause I'm a fan. Cause Royals fans here mock me because I root for such a pathetic baseball team owned by the KC team.

Please Ventura, tell your team: NO MORE BUNTING EVER. They cannot bunt. Even though we rarely score no matter what we do at the plate, at least eliminate bunting. Guys cannot do it so tell them NEVER do it.

It actually was a real good bunt, Duffy made a nice play and barely got him, and somehow the Sox can win the series tomorrow.

What I do find funny is the 100% chance Melky would have driven in a run there if he didn't bunt. Anyome catch his other ABs vs. Duffy?

This is one where the forces of God were against the Sox.

Q only getting 1 or 0 run of support for like the sixth time in a row, something that hasn't happened in MLB for like a quarter century.

Whatever he is now against KC lifetime, 1-7 or 1-8.

Duffy coming in with the lowest ERA of any pitcher ALL-TIME at USCF, 1.55 (second is Cris Carpenter of TOR/STL).

The bettors of the world made a ton of money on this one, because the Sox had to be the favorites (home game/KC losing streak and depleted line-up.)

How did Anderson look this game? I was trying to listen but fell asleep after he popped the ball up to the OF and then struck out.

Defensive chances?

Tmrw's game has a lot riding on it.

Rodon going against Ventura, two struggling pitchers with lots of hype and not much to show for it this year, at least yet.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 11, 2016 -> 04:24 PM)
He's also 2nd in the MLB in HRs and has 40+ RBIs. Literally almost every big hit the Sox have had this season, Frazier has had it.

With you as manager, Frazier would probably be hitting 9th with that .215 average. To me, that's not very smart baseball.

You sound like a meathead fan.

No I wouldn't hit him 9th but that's not the point is it? I also wouldn't have allowed my #3 hitter, currently hitting 8-15 on the home stand to bunt. Knowing that he might do it oh his own now I hope Robin tells him "never again" unless he actually orders it.

How many times this year have the Sox sacrificed guys into scoring position and gotten absolutely nothing out of it?

You don't give up outs like that in my opinion.

The meathead reference also was funny, I've been called a lot worse by better people.

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jun 11, 2016 -> 06:16 PM)
No I wouldn't hit him 9th but that's not the point is it? I also wouldn't have allowed my #3 hitter, currently hitting 8-15 on the home stand to bunt. Knowing that he might do it oh his own now I hope Robin tells him "never again" unless he actually orders it.

How many times this year have the Sox sacrificed guys into scoring position and gotten absolutely nothing out of it?

You don't give up outs like that in my opinion.

The meathead reference also was funny, I've been called a lot worse by better people.

Mark

Melky was also batting righty, something I don't think he's done much of the last few days. He saw an opportunity to maybe get bags loaded with a push bunt. Not a bad idea, just bad execution on Melky's part. Not on the manager at all.

Are you calling me a bad guy?

The only reason for Melky bunting there is because of his lack of confidence hitting righty against LHP.

But if you look at Frazier's contact rates...or Lawrie's, both have been abysmal lately. Of course, if that liner to LF drops in and two runs score, we're not belabouring the point so much about wasting an out, just had some bad luck hitting it right at Merrifield.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 11, 2016 -> 05:21 PM)
Melky was also batting righty, something I don't think he's done much of the last few days. He saw an opportunity to maybe get bags loaded with a push bunt. Not a bad idea, just bad execution on Melky's part. Not on the manager at all.

Are you calling me a bad guy?

If Melky was bunting for a hit, Robin apparently thought differently:

"He decided to do that on his own," White Sox manager Robin Ventura said. "He's up there sensing the situation, and I think he thought we could get on the board early by getting them over. It's something that you look at either way. But he decided to do on his own."

His choice of words makes it sound like to me that he was sacrificing.

And no I don't think you're a bad guy, don't even know you, and for that matter you don't know me. Maybe we're both just "meathead" fans?

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 11, 2016 -> 04:59 PM)
You do know that wasn't called from the bench don't you? He was bunting for a hit.

Yea. I get on Robin alot than previous managers this year, but that was not on him. Shocked people are blaming him for that one.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 11, 2016 -> 02:59 PM)
You do know that wasn't called from the bench don't you? He was bunting for a hit.

Urg. Melky.

Originally I was mocking the fact that it's the top video currently shown on the white sox site. Didn't know it was on Melky until recently. Melky fail. Frazier fail x2. Lawrie fail.

Fukame.

31,183 in attendance. Not the greatest weekend, +30K performance (seems that's the norm more often than not the last 5 years).

Royals and Tigers pass the White Sox again...

Verlander looking better and better each time out.

CLE (Bauer) vs. Shoemaker (LAA) at 9. 4 1/2 GB is getting to be danger territory.

Luckily, all the Central teams will theoretically beat up each other and someone (DET/KC) can hopefully stop the Indians at home.

Nice moment for the Thompson family.

Klay and father Mychal are watching the Dodgers' game in SF...Trayce just took a bases loaded walk to tie the score at 3-3 going into the bottom of the 7th. About the only negative on the season so far is his .125 BA with RISP.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 11, 2016 -> 08:53 PM)
31,183 in attendance. Not the greatest weekend, +30K performance (seems that's the norm more often than not the last 5 years).

There is no point belaboring the attendance figures. That is not going to change for a variety of reasons many of which go beyond the performance of the team or the popularity of the team in the Chicago area.

Also, like the Harvey game, Poor Jose Quintana was once again on the mound to receive nothing in the way of support. He lost his sixth straight decision despite pitching well. He allowed more homers today (three) than he had all season (two), but they were all solo shots that didn't clear the wall by much. The ball was carrying on a 91-degree day, and Cheslor Cuthbert benefited more than anybody, hitting two out.

Otherwise, Quintana struck out 10 while walking nobody over his eight innings.

*White Sox run totals in Quintana's losses over the last two seasons: 1-0-1-1-1-0-0-1-1-3-2-1-1-3-0-2-1.

www.southsidesox.com (Jim Margalus)

Attendance is completely irrelevant if we have the ability to add another $10+ million to payroll this season regardless of whether we're 22nd-26th in that category. Otherwise, it's germane to the issue, because it has been used as justification for front office moves a number of times, specifically for signing off on the Melky Cabrera deal.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 11, 2016 -> 11:07 PM)
Tmrw's game has a lot riding on it.

To we fans it does, nobody on the White Sox side of the field. The Royals get up for the Sox and the Sox are too cool to get "up" for anybody. Sox get mauled Sunday to drop to 2-7 on the season to KC.

I think it's MUCH more likely that Ventura comes completely unglued and hits someone in the Sox line-up (Lawrie is too obvious, maybe it's Eaton, who has been struggling offensively) and/or there's a huge brawl because the White Sox are frustrated with not getting to (Y)Ventura and/or Rodon pitches poorly coming off a skipped start.

I would have a terrible time trying to bet that game (and I never have bet baseball once in my entire life)...anything seems possible.