for those of you who lament Hawks stupidity...

harkness99

Yesterday Frazier took an outside pitch... and Hawk emphatically stated "I haven't seen him take an outside pitch like that in awhile... that's a great sign"

Then in todays game Frazier said he had a bat last night where he saw the ball for the first time in awhile... and thought he was about to get hot.

That's the kind of s*** that Hawk has that hardly anyone else does.

QUOTE (harkness @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 09:58 PM)
Yesterday Frazier took an outside pitch... and Hawk emphatically stated "I haven't seen him take an outside pitch like that in awhile... that's a great sign"

Then in todays game Frazier said he had a bat last night where he saw the ball for the first time in awhile... and thought he was about to get hot.

Hawk is great. My only complaint is when he's crabby.

QUOTE (harkness @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 04:58 PM)

I have always noticed a lot of the people that rip him use a lot of information he provides. Yeah, he is too into the umpires, yeah his defense of Avi's defense is homer ism at its best, but he knows a heck of a lot about the game. Listening to him talk about hitting, where to stand in the box is fascinating. Players used to move around in the box, not anymore. Like with Frazier, saying he should move his back foot 6 inches farther from the plate so he won't pull off the ball was so simple and made so much sense.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 04:14 PM)
I have always noticed a lot of the people that rip him use a lot of information he provides. Yeah, he is too into the umpires, yeah his defense of Avi's defense is homer ism at its best, but he knows a heck of a lot about the game. Listening to him talk about hitting, where to stand in the box is fascinating. Players used to move around in the box, not anymore. Like with Frazier, saying he should move his back foot 6 inches farther from the plate so he won't pull off the ball was so simple and made so much sense.

Great! Make him the new hitting coach and get him out of the booth! :P

Mark

My wife insisted we go to the game yesterday which shocked me. I went on Stubhub and got some $10 tickets ($15 or so with fees) and we sat about 10 rows up right above the bullpen bar.

When the Sox hit a homer they have Hawk on recording say You can put it on the board, yes! about the time the guy circles the bases and reaches home plate. I don't usually sit in the OF, so I don't know if it's normal, but the entire RF was screaming it with Hawk. It was great.

QUOTE (Coach @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 07:29 AM)
Hawk has a lot information to give but my only complaint about him is he never shuts up. I realize he is there to speak but he should have realized after all these years, sometimes a little silence is a good thing.

Stoney and Jason talk way way more....they have a little ongoing comedy act. Like Hawk it has it's ups and downs, but way less silence for sure.

I love listening to Hawk. Brings me back to my childhood every game when I hear his voice. Not that Benetti is bad, but I prefer Hawk over him (I realize I may be stoned for saying that). Just something about it. I hope Hawk continues to call games as long as he can get around. He may say some stupid stuff sometimes, but you know what, he's been doing this for how long? He can say some stupid stuff if he wants. He basically owns that booth. I love listening to his stories and his baseball insight...and I'm not some 60 y/o, I'm in my twenties.

Hawk has a lot information to give but my only complaint about him is he never shuts up. I realize he is there to speak but he should have realized after all these years, sometimes a little silence is a good thing.

Because one thing I have never heard is Sox fans complain when Hawk is silent.

But sometimes when the opposing team gets a big hit late in a game, Hawk just goes silent for like 30 seconds

Silence is a powerful communication skill. I've always thought Hawk's employment of silence at certain key points in the game where the very obvious actions on the field tell the story themselves to be quite effective and appropriate.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 04:34 PM)
But sometimes when the opposing team gets a big hit late in a game, Hawk just goes silent for like 30 seconds

Maybe some that do not understand the game needs him to say something, but you watch the games and know what is going on. What do you need him to say?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 06:17 PM)
Maybe some that do not understand the game needs him to say something, but you watch the games and know what is going on. What do you need him to say?

Sitting in complete silence when things don't go your way just seems unprofessional to me

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 06:17 PM)

Call the game. It's his job.

It's almost as though different people can hold different opinions.

If you'll follow the thread, the "Hawk often says nothing for long stretches" point was submitted by Jose Abreu in direct reply to the "Hawk talks too much" complaint.

QUOTE (harkness @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 04:58 PM)

Dan Bernstein disagrees with you.