Adam Eaton

chw42

He's having the best season of any White Sox positional player in a long time. I'm talking 15 years here.

Eaton currently sits at 5.8 fWAR and is projected to have around 6.2 fWAR by the end of the season. FWIW, bWAR has him slightly higher at 6 bWAR.

Even if he finishes at 5.8 fWAR, it will be the highest total by any White Sox positional player since Frank Thomas's near MVP season in 2000, when he accumulated 5.9 fWAR.

Most of Eaton's value comes from defense, but I don't think any of us can disagree that he's been extremely valuable defensively this year. He's currently 7th in fWAR among all American League position players. His performance this year definitely moves his talent perception up. I think before this season, most viewed Eaton as a 3-4 win player. But now I think it's safe to say he's at least a 4-5 win player worthy of all-star consideration.

White Sox fWAR Leaderboard over last 25 years.

Edit: Eaton's 2016 is the 12th best season by any White Sox positional player in the past 25 years. Tied with Aaron Rowand in 2004 and behind numerous Frank Thomas seasons and that one year Albert Belle hit 49 homers.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Sep 14, 2016 -> 04:00 PM)
7th among AL position players but 9th overall, he'd be the first White Sox player to finish in the top ten in MLB in WAR since Albert Belle in 1998.

If the AL wasn't flooded with great positional players, he should be getting some top 5 MVP votes from some of the more sabermetric-inclined voters.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Sep 14, 2016 -> 04:39 PM)
Lest anybody take Mike's post seriously, it's a reference to this incredible Haugh column from before the season.

Ah yes, I remember that very short period of time where a couple of posters told us that we lost the Eaton/Santiago trade, completely with an idiot in the media picking it up.

Adam is great. However, if they do trade Sale and/or Q this winter, I'd be in support of moving Adam. The dude's value shouldn't be much lower than those two, in all honesty. He's really f'in good.

That said, I hope they don't trade him - he's by far my favorite player.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 15, 2016 -> 04:01 PM)
Betts won't be challenging, he'll be winning. East coast bias

Betts has a good case as well. Has more DRS than Eaton, but UZR likes Eaton a bit more. I don't see why both can't win. There's 3 OF spots.

Edit: are the 3 OF spots regardless of position or do they take position into account?

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 15, 2016 -> 04:45 PM)
Betts has a good case as well. Has more DRS than Eaton, but UZR likes Eaton a bit more. I don't see why both can't win. There's 3 OF spots.

Edit: are the 3 OF spots regardless of position or do they take position into account?

I thought it was just 3 OF spots regardless of position.

EDIT: Nope I'm wrong. That's how it used to be, but they changed it a few years ago.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 15, 2016 -> 04:52 PM)
According to the way it's listed here: http://m.mlb.com/awards/

It seems like it's by individual positions.

Yep, I was wrong.

http://actasports.com/blog/changes-in-qual...ld-gold-gloves/

September 23, 2011

According to an article written Wednesday by Evan Brunell for CBS Sports, Rawlings has altered the criteria of eligibility for the Gold Glove Awards. The biggest change is for outfielders. Instead of voters being allowed to vote for three outfielders in each league regardless of position, they will now be required to vote for one outfielder at each position individually. So now a Gold Glove will be awarded for left field, center field, and right field separately. This is a very welcomed change, as we have always felt that the best player at each position should be recognized for his performance, which is why the Fielding Bible Awards have always been given for each outfield position individually. Under the old system of Gold Glove voting, corner outfielders were at a disadvantage. Now they will be given the recognition that they deserve.