Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 08:07 PM)
I know we've been burned like crazy but still feel most comfortable leaving 1b power hitter as the position we find in FA

When you look at what's happening with the Cubs, the fact that Rizzo is there is causing a number of issues as that position is so replaceable.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 08:07 PM)
I know we've been burned like crazy but still feel most comfortable leaving 1b power hitter as the position we find in FA

It's easy enough with money and/or a deep farm system. The problem is when you're trying to find a "high quality" DH on a 50 cent budget, you end up with band-aids and quick fixes and reclamation projects (see Morneau).

As usual, the rotating DH (to rest 4-5 regulars) would be another idea, but perhaps is not idea for a young team. It would work better with veterans in their early to mid 30's, like Yankees teams over the past 2-3 years.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 09:11 PM)
The key here is that catching spot, and CF.

Can Collins play it well enough...and not impact a young pitching staff from a defensive/leadership standpoint in a negative way?

We'll find out soon enough, because he's going to spend time with a lot of those young pitchers before they reach the big leagues.

We've seen with Eaton, Cain and Heyward the value that the market is playing on DRS/WAR now (and also the difference between Eaton/DeAza/Rios/Pods in CF vs. on a corner). If the White Sox can develop Basabe (big if) or bring in another version in Cameron, then that solves your four main pieces to the puzzle, and you can address the corners much more easily.

In reality, CF and catcher has been an issue for half a decade now...and CF, much longer. And with AJ, you lived with the defensive shortcomings because he made up for it offensively and with gamesmanship, for most of his White Sox career.

Fwiw, Tucker was playing CF in the Quad Cities this summer and looked pretty natural/fluid in the few balls hit to him, but he's not Devon White out there either.

That's why I wouldn't have any problems if the Sox snagged JJ Schwartz from FLA next year at #12. Between him and Collins...if they both swing the bat well...one of them will stick at 1B (other at C at the next level)....

Edited by Wanne

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 08:11 PM)
The key here is that catching spot, and CF.

Can Collins play it well enough...and not impact a young pitching staff from a defensive/leadership standpoint in a negative way?

We'll find out soon enough, because he's going to spend time with a lot of those young pitchers before they reach the big leagues.

We've seen with Eaton, Cain and Heyward the value that the market is playing on DRS/WAR now (and also the difference between Eaton/DeAza/Rios/Pods in CF vs. on a corner). If the White Sox can develop Basabe (big if) or bring in another version in Cameron, then that solves your four main pieces to the puzzle, and you can address the corners much more easily.

In reality, CF and catcher has been an issue for half a decade now...and CF, much longer. And with AJ, you lived with the defensive shortcomings because he made up for it offensively and with gamesmanship, for most of his White Sox career.

Fwiw, Tucker was playing CF in the Quad Cities this summer and looked pretty natural/fluid in the few balls hit to him, but he's not Devon White out there either.

I agree with you but we can't worry about targeting our future guys for CF and C until we're reading to compete, IMO. When you target and plan for specific positions is when you tend to fall short. Collect the best talent possible in trades and the draft for now and worry about acquiring our positions of need either via trade or FA when we're ready to compete. Who knows, players we already have may develop and be there for us. Time will tell. Patience is key.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 09:36 PM)
I agree with you but we can't worry about targeting our future guys for CF and C until we're reading to compete, IMO. When you target and plan for specific positions is when you tend to fall short. Collect the best talent possible in trades and the draft for now and worry about acquiring our positions of need either via trade or FA when we're ready to compete. Who knows, players we already have may develop and be there for us. Time will tell. Patience is key.

it's targeting hitters..hence Schwartz regardless of his position. IMO...being a C is icing on the cake....

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 07:23 PM)
Bregman RC Year (Age 22): 49 G, 13 2B, 3 3B, 8 HR, .264/.313/.478, 115 OPS+, 1.8 WAR

Beckham RC Year (Age 22): 103 G, 28 2B, 1 3B, 14 HR, .270/.347/.460, 106 OPS+, 2.1 WAR

Not very different numbers. We know how things turned out for one of them, which shows that a fast start is not necessarily indicative of being a sure thing.

If they succeed during a call up, they are the next Gordon Beckham. If they fail, they suck. Oh Soxtalk.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 08:49 PM)
it's targeting hitters..hence Schwartz regardless of his position. IMO...being a C is icing on the cake....

Still..take the best player available - any position, hitters or pitchers. From what I understand, Schwarz went from being the future Buster Posey his freshman year to hitting 7 HR and having his stock fall significantly in his sophomore year. We'll see what happens in 2017. Hopefully we can be s***ty enough in 2017 to land the BPA as of now in 2018, Seth Beer. :D what a marketing opportunity.

Edited by Ro Da Don

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 09:52 PM)
If they succeed during a call up, they are the next Gordon Beckham. If they fail, they suck. Oh Soxtalk.

Missed my point. The point was that success in small samples should be taken with a grain of salt. Still plenty of opportunity to go in either direction.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 08:52 PM)

And even if you initially succeed, you can STILL end up "failing" or at least falling off significantly.

Look at Puig and even Abreu for two examples.

That's why I'm really hoping Tim Anderson continues to progress and doesn't have typical the sophomore slump. Game of adjustments...and he's made them every step along the way, SO FAR.

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 07:10 PM)
Missed my point. The point was that success in small samples should be taken with a grain of salt. Still plenty of opportunity to go in either direction.

Yeah, but that same example gets used for like every decent young infielder in the league now. They can't all be Gordon Beckhams.

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 09:10 PM)

If you remove all the Trea Turner statistics against a pretty terrible/outlier of a Braves' team, he starts to look more like an ordinary mortal.

His overall numbers being lifted largely through that opponent would cause me to pause in anointing him a superstar just yet. Same with Benintendi's initial success, or Moncada's struggles.

Or you could look at someone like Byron Buxton, who struggled/failed repeatedly and has FINALLY just started to figure things out the last couple months of the 2016 season.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 08:23 PM)
Man it got boring real quick. Need moar

I know.

They're probably all getting a good night's sleep for the first time this week.

Edit: In the downtime I just keep researching prospects...lot to learn, since we've really never needed to look at this part of the industry ;)

Edited by iamshack

Haha...Houston is funny.

What next, Tucker for Quintana alone is a fair trade?

The dude's 2 1/2 seasons away from the majors, in all likelihood.

In some ways, you can really admire the way that Luhnow had a vision for turning that organization around and actually accomplished it one year earlier than expected. But they'll see, just like the Rangers, what happens when you don't have DOMINANT starting pitching in the post-season.

Heck, the Rangers started Hamels and Darvish back to back against the Blue Jays, and that wasn't enough. The most competitive game was started by a more pedestrian #3 in Colby Lewis.

The Sox aren't trading Quintana to Astros without getting Tucker back IMO. I personally think this is just posturing so Luhnow can eventually tell Hahn "fine, fine, I can't give you Bregman but I can do something with Tucker". At some point I see this trade getting done. Given their situation, a TOR starter is just too valuable to pass on over a prospect 2+ years out.

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 10:42 PM)
Houston saying that Tucker is nearly untouchable.

I'm with iamshack, f*** Houston. Sounds like they really don't want to get a TOR starter. Guarantee Tampa would require Tucker for Archer as well. Maybe it's posturing on guys teams are asking for in deal or maybe it's prospect hoarding. They could have the '27 Yankees lineup and still fall short late in the year with that pitching. Good luck selling that to your fanbase, Luhnow.