SSS Theater: Avi Garcia

chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 10:07 PM)
Help me understand the doubles though. I'm going purely off of my own eyes here, but it seems like he's getting a s***load more XBH, not just home runs.

The picture is sort of incomplete right now, but launch angles and line drive rates don't seem to have changed drastically. He hit 18 doubles last year and has 14 already this year, so that isn't an illusion. He's actually swinging more (especially at pitches in the strike zone) and making more contact. As far as I can tell, he isn't doing anything radically different. He's making more contact and better contact, and he's also pulling the ball more, leading to more HR power, AND he's also riding a massive BABIP wave. I believe more in the power than the BA, but again, the picture is still incomplete.

Edited by daggins

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (daggins @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 09:20 PM)
The picture is sort of incomplete right now, but launch angles and line drive rates don't seem to have changed drastically. He hit 18 doubles last year and has 14 already this year, so that isn't an illusion. He's actually swinging more (especially at pitches in the strike zone) and making more contact. As far as I can tell, he isn't doing anything radically different. He's making more contact and better contact, and he's also pulling the ball more, leading to more HR power, AND he's also riding a massive BABIP wave. I believe more in the power than the BA, but again, the picture is still incomplete.

The BABIP thing is so hard to wrap your mind around as a fan that watches his PAs, just because he seems to have so many PAs where he is just crushing the ball. I have noticed the increase in pulled balls, but he also seems to be hitting the ball up the middle extremely hard as well. I noticed in Tampa (I believe it was) they actually had shifted to put the 2b directly behind second base basically. Perhaps defensive shifts will bring down the BABIP?

Either way, when all the numbers shake out, and the regression ultimately happens or doesn't, at least in terms of the contact he is currently making, if this is the quality of contact he will make from here on out - he will be a valuable hitter. Now, that doesn't mean the pitchers won't make further adjustments that will cause the quality of that contact to decrease, but...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 08:19 AM)
The BABIP thing is so hard to wrap your mind around as a fan that watches his PAs, just because he seems to have so many PAs where he is just crushing the ball. I have noticed the increase in pulled balls, but he also seems to be hitting the ball up the middle extremely hard as well. I noticed in Tampa (I believe it was) they actually had shifted to put the 2b directly behind second base basically. Perhaps defensive shifts will bring down the BABIP?

Either way, when all the numbers shake out, and the regression ultimately happens or doesn't, at least in terms of the contact he is currently making, if this is the quality of contact he will make from here on out - he will be a valuable hitter. Now, that doesn't mean the pitchers won't make further adjustments that will cause the quality of that contact to decrease, but...

Yes, he's hitting the ball hard way too often for it to be considered lucky IMO.

You can hit the ball hard and still have un sustainable BABIP. Avi is not going to have a BABIP of over .400 on October 1st. He might have one over .370 though. ZIPS sees .347 the rest of the way, which tells you that ZIPS has "baked in" his batted ball improvements.

Personally I'm more curious if he can finish with an ISO over .200, which would be a big mark for him. He needs to keep hitting his XBH.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 09:46 AM)
You can hit the ball hard and still have un sustainable BABIP. Avi is not going to have a BABIP of over .400 on October 1st. He might have one over .370 though. ZIPS sees .347 the rest of the way, which tells you that ZIPS has "baked in" his batted ball improvements.

Personally I'm more curious if he can finish with an ISO over .200, which would be a big mark for him. He needs to keep hitting his XBH.

Yeah, I get it.

But all you can ask the guy is to keep barrelling it up. The rest will happen as it will.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 12:06 PM)
Easily the most unlikely thing that has happened to the White Sox this year, and that is including Tommy Kahnle.

It's almost as unlikely as Leury Garcia being the second best player on the team by fWAR.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 08:34 AM)
I saw a list of leaders in defensive runs saved and Leury is #19 in MLB. That's pretty stout. Is it legit?

That sounds like it is flawed, it seems like Leury throws to the wrong base a lot. I like him but his athleticism covers a lot of mental mistakes he makes

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 08:37 AM)
That sounds like it is flawed, it seems like Leury throws to the wrong base a lot. I like him but his athleticism covers a lot of mental mistakes he makes

He's leading all OF in assists though. Is he throwing to the wrong base enough to offset that?