DRAFT TRACKER 2017, and Day One Discussion

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 10:01 PM)
What's the deal with this Sam Carlson kid? He must not be singable due to a strong college commitment or something?

Very likely high bonus demands and signability issues. Carlson must have told teams not too select him.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 10:04 PM)
Anyone here wanna fill a n00b like me in on this term "arm bar" -- haven't heard it before Burger.

I don't know if I have it right, but it looks to me like as he sets for his swing, his left arm straightens completely, which I'm guessing makes it harder to turn on inside pitches. I could be completely wrong, though.

Anyone here wanna fill a n00b like me in on this term "arm bar" -- haven't heard it before Burger.

Basically back arm drops it's a horizontal angle when loading for swing.

Todd Frazier is an example of an arm bar on the Sox.

I hadn't heard of it either. From the sound of it, an arm bar in a swing is basically upon loading, the hitter gets early extension with his arms which creates a long swing. I imagine the concern is that'll eventually lead to a lot of weak ground outs when he's fooled or the competition catches up with him at more advanced levels.

straightening the front arm in the loading phase of the swing. somewhat controversial because it leads to a longer swing path to the zone, but there's been some successful major leaguers throughout history who've had an arm bar in their swing

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 09:55 PM)
Big Sheets fan. I like this pick. Also finally out of travel hell. f*** you LAX.

I literally PMed a poster here about the sox taking him since their was such an uproar about Evan White. Awesome. :)

Scot Gregor‏ @scotgregor 34s35 seconds ago Hostetler on #WhiteSox drafting Burger, Sheets on first two rounds. "We need bats. We've needed bats a long time in this organization"

Daryl Van Schouwen‏Verified account @CST_soxvan 2m2 minutes ago

Hostetler said word has come from Hahn to draft guys who don't swing and miss. Makes sense to me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 10:31 PM)
Scot Gregor‏ @scotgregor 34s35 seconds ago Hostetler on #WhiteSox drafting Burger, Sheets on first two rounds. "We need bats. We've needed bats a long time in this organization"

Daryl Van Schouwen‏Verified account @CST_soxvan 2m2 minutes ago

Hostetler said word has come from Hahn to draft guys who don't swing and miss. Makes sense to me.

Not the sexy draft picks some might say, but burger and sheets both help to fill gaps that this organization currently did not have.

Power hitting 3B prospect and a left handed dh/1b prospect with power.

Both have seen the ability to draw walks and neither strikes or a ton (for now). In what appears to be a fairly weak draft these could become important depth for the organization at positions that were pretty barren.