Hahn on 670 the score now - 1140 am Central

ron883

I am a Rick Hahn fan, but the amount of love he's gotten from fans lately is bordering on the absurd. The reason he was able to get such good prospects back in these trades, is because he dealt a bunch of great players, not because he's great!

Maybe he did better than the average GM would have (who knows), but any competent GM could've extracted a lot of value in these trades too. The fact that we had to rebuild with a roster full of valuable players is an indictment on Rick, Kenny, and Jerry.

The rebuild is exciting, and I'm very optimistic, but the praise for Hahn is out of control.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Aug 10, 2017 -> 12:27 PM)
I am a Rick Hahn fan, but the amount of love he's gotten from fans lately is bordering on the absurd. The reason he was able to get such good prospects back in these trades, is because he dealt a bunch of great players, not because he's great!

Maybe he did better than the average GM would have (who knows), but any competent GM could've extracted a lot of value in these trades too. The fact that we had to rebuild with a roster full of valuable players is an indictment on Rick, Kenny, and Jerry.

The rebuild is exciting, and I'm very optimistic, but the praise for Hahn is out of control.

One of the primary reasons Sale, Q and Eaton brought back the returns they did was due to the contracts Hahn negotiated with them. The man deserves the praise he is receiving.

Part of the reason Hahn was able to extract such incredible prospects for these guys is the contracts Hahn signed them to in the first place. The praise for Hahn is warranted. The Sox went from a dead end club to one of the most exciting futures in baseball in the span of a year.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 10, 2017 -> 12:29 PM)
One of the primary reasons Sale, Q and Eaton brought back the returns they did was due to the contracts Hahn negotiated with them. The man deserves the praise he is receiving.

And on top of that, if you look at especially the timing of the deadline deals over July and what other teams got for similar players, Rick Hahn did a pretty fabulous job. Look at what other position players and relievers got at the deadline, and compare that to what the Sox got for their players. Compare the Melky deal to the JD Martinez deal. Same with Jennings and Swarzak. I mean a lot of people could have extracted value for a guy like Q, but Hahn did work on his second and third tier guys.

He turned one of the worst farm systems in baseball to the best in under a year. He deserves the praise he gets.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 10, 2017 -> 12:48 PM)
Did Hahn say anything interesting?

Was asked about Sept call-ups and said they hadn't really discussed anyone specifically yet, but did mention that Giolito has done what they asked. Possibly we'll see him in Sept (speculation on my part here, RH didn't say that)? He also mentioned Jose Abreu is great, despite ron883's wishes of him being DFA-worthy.

Edited by Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (Quin @ Aug 10, 2017 -> 02:24 PM)
Ok, so you were just misquoting him. Got it.

Gotta love Hahn's honesty there. He's right of course. Jose hardly ever sees fastballs middle in anymore it's usually a steady diet of junk low and away. It's sapped a large amount of Jose's power. Jose is still a good player, he's just not the star we hoped he'd be after his rookie season.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 10, 2017 -> 12:31 PM)
Gotta love Hahn's honesty there. He's right of course. Jose hardly ever sees fastballs middle in anymore it's usually a steady diet of junk low and away. It's sapped a large amount of Jose's power. Jose is still a good player, he's just not the star we hoped he'd be after his rookie season.

In fairness Abreu does not have much in terms of lineup protection to help him see better pitches. Why pitch to Jose when the rest of the lineup cannot really hurt you all that much?

On Sept call ups Hahn said maybe another C, couple more pen arms, maybe another OF. Did mention Giolito specifically, but refused to confirm or deny... while kind of hinting that they would call him up. Wouldn't mention specific names, wanted to inform players first. Haven't decided on any specifics as of yet.

Will say that unequivocally, Brian asked better questions in his podcast than Perkins did as a 50,000 watt radio station host.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 10, 2017 -> 01:31 PM)

Thank you. ^he heard the interview too I see.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 10, 2017 -> 12:33 PM)
And on top of that, if you look at especially the timing of the deadline deals over July and what other teams got for similar players, Rick Hahn did a pretty fabulous job. Look at what other position players and relievers got at the deadline, and compare that to what the Sox got for their players. Compare the Melky deal to the JD Martinez deal. Same with Jennings and Swarzak. I mean a lot of people could have extracted value for a guy like Q, but Hahn did work on his second and third tier guys.

The Mets got something like the Indians #30 prospect back for Jay Bruce. Compare that to the cleaning of our franchise of Cabrera.

QUOTE (Quin @ Aug 10, 2017 -> 06:24 PM)
Ok, so you were just misquoting him. Got it.

I think you are being kind by letting him off with a misquote pass. I think it is more along the lines that Jose is a terrific hitter and stepping up as a team leader. But, that's just my guess