Rick Hahn & Kenny Williams Sign Long Term Extensions

GGajewski18

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 10:09 AM)
This is absolutely ludicrous logic. These guys have put together a 5 year plan, and you're idea was to not have their contracts renewed long term until 2019? You don't have any idea how it's going to turn out by 2019. Give them their job security, let them work, and if it hasn't worked by 2021 (or 2020, frankly), then you are able to go in a different direction.

Ah, splendid! Another plan. It's always so very comforting knowing these two have a "plan" that they are executing. Now they have this "5 year plan" they're involved in, which is not to be confused with the "3 year plan" they informed us all about in 2015...

https://www.google.com/amp/chicago.cbslocal...y-williams/amp/

...for which if you do the math, we're wrapping up Year 3 of THAT plan as we speak. How'd that one turn out?

No, forgive those skeptical of this duo's ability to successfully carry out a plan until we finally see what all of their plans over their 17 years of trying their hand at this have failed to achieve: SUSTAINABLE WINNING.i

Edited by Thad Bosley

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 12:12 PM)
IMO they were terrible before that. When you have a MVP leading his team to the ECF, you can't expect to win with Keith Bogans in your starting lineup. I still believe that an adequate starting shooting guard was all that team needed, and management failed to get one both in the offseason and at the trade deadline.

To be fair it was supposed to be Korver/Brewer, but Thibs loved Bogans.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 11:46 AM)
Ah, splendid! Another plan. It's always so very comforting knowing these two have a "plan" that they are executing. Now they have this "5 year plan" they're involved in, which is not to be confused with the "3 year plan" they informed us all about in 2015...

...for which if you do the math, we're wrapping up Year 3 of THAT plan as we speak. How'd that one turn out?

No, forgive those skeptical of this duo's ability to successfully carry out a plan until we finally see what all of their plans over their 17 years of trying their hand at this have failed to achieve: SUSTAINABLE WINNING.i

This was as inevitable as the Trump backtrack on Charlottesville.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 11:46 AM)

Yeah, no, there isn't anything different between what the White Sox have done in the last 9 months and what they did in 2015.

I won't argue with you because if you can't see that they actually have a solid plan in place to develop sustainable winning, then your head has been in the sand for that same 9 month period.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 12:32 PM)
Yeah, no, there isn't anything different between what the White Sox have done in the last 9 months and what they did in 2015.

I won't argue with you because if you can't see that they actually have a solid plan in place to develop sustainable winning, then you're head has been in the sand for that same 9 month period.

What does amuse me is the blind faith people are putting in this front office. Supposedly they couldn't identify major league pieces that fit a winning roster, couldn't draft or develop for s*** for years, now they acquire all these prospects and are geniuses. They are going to win 100 games a year for a decade.

To me, identifying major league players who can help a team vs. prospects who will develop into stars, seems to be a lot easier. And the people in charge failed to do the easy one. Why is it a slam dunk this is going to work out just fine?

The wrong guys go south and this could be a disaster. They did what they did, and probably what they had to do, I'm still looking at it cautiously. I'm not sold on the talent evaluators and developers. I don't know why they suddenly would become top of the line.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 12:38 PM)
What does amuse me is the blind faith people are putting in this front office. Supposedly they couldn't identify major league pieces that fit a winning roster, couldn't draft or develop for s*** for years, now they acquire all these prospects and are geniuses. They are going to win 100 games a year for a decade.

To me, identifying major league players who can help a team vs. prospects who will develop into stars, seems to be a lot easier. And the people in charge failed to do the easy one. Why is it a slam dunk this is going to work out just fine?

The wrong guys go south and this could be a disaster. They did what they did, and probably what they had to do, I'm still looking at it cautiously. I'm not sold on the talent evaluators and developers. I don't know why they suddenly would become top of the line.

It helps when all of the professional "evaluators" around the country seem to agree on how talented these new acquisitions are, but you are 100% right. They made various changes in the development and scouting areas, but also can't assume those are improvements either.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 11:38 AM)

That has been a fear for me all along. The reason that this rebuild started moving along so quickly was that we had some premier talent locked up on team friendly deals. If these new guys flounder, we won't be in position to jump start another rebuild. We'll be looking at a long, slow, extended rebuild that could take as long as a decade.

I'm willing to give our talent developers a shot, but not for long. It's telling to me that for the past 6-8 years, the Sox first round pick immediately became the top prospect in the organization. This year (extenuating circumstances, I know) Jake Burger slotted in at 13. Maybe the lack of position player development in recent years had more to do with the lack of talent in the organization and not necessarily our inability to develop position players.

Edited by oneofthemikes

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 11:26 AM)
This was as inevitable as the Trump backtrack on Charlottesville.

Not quite as much as the inevitability of a useless throw away comment by yourself when you have nothing of value to add to the conversation.

I would never say it's a slam dunk, but I personally feel 100x better today about the direction and future of this franchise than I did prior to 2016, 2015, or 2014, and I really liked some of the moves those teams made prior to the season.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 12:49 PM)
Not quite as much as the inevitability of a useless throw away comment by yourself when you have nothing of value to add to the conversation.

This has never slowed you a bit. See also your previous post which you have made about 2300 times.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 11:48 AM)
They made various changes in the development and scouting areas[/b], but also can't assume those are improvements either.

And, it was still the new evaluators that got us Basabe and Diaz as part of the Sale trade. As good a prospect as Kopech is, he is not enough to justify trading Sale. We should have received 4 legitimate prospects, not just two. It did not take long to realize that it is Moncada and Kopech for Sale.

And, it was the new evaluators that gave us the Shields/Tatis trade.

Edited by oldsox

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 12:49 PM)

You are the poster child for adding nothing of value to the conversation. We get it, you don't like Reinsdorf. Move on you broken f***ing record.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 01:29 PM)
And, it was still the new evaluators that got us Basabe and Diaz as part of the Sale trade. As good a prospect as Kopech is, he is not enough to justify trading Sale. We should have received 4 legitimate prospects, not just two. It did not take long to realize that it is Moncada and Kopech for Sale.

And, it was the new evaluators that gave us the Shields/Tatis trade.

Good to know that Basabe and Diaz will never be good again.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 10:19 PM)
Jerry gonna Jerry. Kenny has a lifetime deal because of 2005.

wasn't it written in one of the post WS books that when JR was trying to convince KW's parents to forego Stanford by telling them that should he sign with the Sox he would have a job for life?

Well, one obvious point that's going to keep getting hammered is that if Moncada doesn't end up better than Benintendi or Devers, it would at least be huge for Burger to hit so that a huge chunk of change doesn't have to be spent on Machado or Arenado.

We've needed a premier 3b for so long, and to watch the numbers he's putting up in the big leagues and Tatis' ascent (yet another projected 3b) are both pretty frustrating developments.

On the other hand, a lot of the potential superstars that were unattainable a year ago would have turned out to be pretty lousy acquisitions as well.

One thing we DO need is the Dodgers' evaluator who nailed Chris Taylor, Justin Turner and Alex Wood...not to mention targeting Bellinger and "Kyle's brother." That's a 25+ point fwar swing, almost.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 04:45 PM)
What does Kenny actually do anymore?....

Isn't Kenny Williams basically over baseball operations? He's like the equivalent of the owner running the team on the baseball side.

Rick Hahn is in charge of the personnel moves for players and coaching staff; but Kenny Williams is in charge of all facets of the team from the people who support the players to long term decisions like minor league affiliate agreements and determining budgets. So Kenny Williams is the boss of all the people who make decisions on the baseball operations side, only answering to Jerry Rensdorf.

Yep

Fans are fans; nothing wrong with people being excited.

But what saddens/scares me is that the man who is in charge, JR, has blind faith in this Front Office.

I think key to success/failure of what they are trying to do remains the actual drafting by the White Sox, begun in 2016 and ongoing. They have changed the type of player they are drafting I suppose, but I still haven't seen a big improvement in talent evaluation or development. But we'll see.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 03:55 PM)
Well, one obvious point that's going to keep getting hammered is that if Moncada doesn't end up better than Benintendi or Devers, it would at least be huge for Burger to hit so that a huge chunk of change doesn't have to be spent on Machado or Arenado.

We've needed a premier 3b for so long, and to watch the numbers he's putting up in the big leagues and Tatis' ascent (yet another projected 3b) are both pretty frustrating developments.

On the other hand, a lot of the potential superstars that were unattainable a year ago would have turned out to be pretty lousy acquisitions as well.

One thing we DO need is the Dodgers' evaluator who nailed Chris Taylor, Justin Turner and Alex Wood...not to mention targeting Bellinger and "Kyle's brother." That's a 25+ point fwar swing, almost.

We've hit the point in the thread where I don't even know what you're trying to say anymore.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 04:17 PM)
Not me.

That's completely false greg. You keep saying that many of these prospects are can't miss and you are certain they will be great major leaguers.

That's 100% blind faith in the front office and their ability to identify and develop talent

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 11:38 AM)

Same here. Would Buddy Bell last this long in any other organization? Sometimes an organization can be lucky as well.

Edited by kitekrazy

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 11:49 AM)

Thank you. I hate political jabs in a sports forum, especially from a mod. Please no more.