Kevin Maitan and others

bmags

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I havent seen anyone confirm that the penalty is still in effect for these kids, but even assuming it is, so many teams have money tied up with commitments for next year and to go after Ohtani this year, we might be able to get somebody still. If Ohtani doesn't sign by Jan 15, then these teams would have to decide if they want to save money and go for Ohtani, spend it on these free agents, or renege on commitments for next year and use that money for these free agents. There are also a couple international guys left from this period that havent signed and now might not be able to get more than $300k with so much talent in the market and limited bonus pools left.

Edited by GenericUserName

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 12:14 PM)
In one of the more recent BA updates they said the players would be under signing restrictions, but it didn't say international bonus pools like other earlier reports were, so I wonder if MLB is going to do something different this time. They do have the opportunity to set the precedent because the only other thing like this was the Red Sox but that was under a different international system.

This is my thought as well. In theory, all other teams were damaged or put at a disadvantage by the Braves actions. The solution should be for all teams to be share equally in the solution.

QUOTE (Superstar Lamar @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 04:24 PM)
This is my thought as well. In theory, all other teams were damaged or put at a disadvantage by the Braves actions. The solution should be for all teams to be share equally in the solution.

Unless you are King Soloman, that is quite impossible.

The draft would cut out a lot of shenanigans but it also hurts player wages. OTOH, the most recent CBA put such a harsh cap on it anyways I don't know why "the draft" is what the players stood firm on as opposed to the spending on the players.

I don't think it should be too elaborate, could get too cute by half.

BUT, from the White Sox point of view they were not in the penalty in 2016 and lost the opportunity to sign these players because they didn't do it illegally.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 04:31 PM)
The draft would cut out a lot of shenanigans but it also hurts player wages. OTOH, the most recent CBA put such a harsh cap on it anyways I don't know why "the draft" is what the players stood firm on as opposed to the spending on the players.

It is really a crappy labor practice to quite literally have different sets of rules for different nationalities. It should all be in one pool. Either draft or free agent, period.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 04:12 PM)
I havent seen anyone confirm that the penalty is still in effect for these kids, but even assuming it is, so many teams have money tied up with commitments for next year and to go after Ohtani this year, we might be able to get somebody still. If Ohtani doesn't sign by Jan 15, then these teams would have to decide if they want to save money and go for Ohtani, spend it on these free agents, or renege on commitments for next year and use that money for these free agents. There are also a couple international guys left from this period that havent signed and now might not be able to get more than $300k with so much talent in the market and limited bonus pools left.

I don't know why the hell any penalty would/should be in affect since there was already pool money (kinda/sorta) used to sign these kids in the first place. They need to sort this out fairly quickly. Doesn't seem right that suddenly you have 13 CURRENT MLB INTL prospects that were signed...that are available and you're handcuffing teams.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 04:32 PM)
It is really a crappy labor practice to quite literally have different sets of rules for different nationalities. It should all be in one pool. Either draft or free agent, period.

Oh I agree, but the reason they stood firm ont he draft was it would reduce spending. But then they agreed to reduced spending and acted like the draft was the problem! It was weird.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 04:36 PM)
Oh I agree, but the reason they stood firm ont he draft was it would reduce spending. But then they agreed to reduced spending and acted like the draft was the problem! It was weird.

Add the draft caps from international to the regular draft. Problem solved.

It will be interesting. Tams have already allocated their funds or are,saving it for Otani, the fact these kids get to keep their Braves money could help the White Sox. If you had nothing, the difference between $325k and $300k is huge. If you have a million or so in the bank, not as huge. Comfort would become important.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 04:36 PM)

Maybe because drafts in general are the worst because you don't get to pick where you want to play. Like what other job do you have literally zero say over where you want to work?

Also international players would lose any leverage they have in negotiations. US players can go to college or back to school if they dont like where they are drafted or how much a team offers while international guys dont really have many other options, especially in areas where these players families need the money.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 04:44 PM)
Maybe because drafts in general are the worst because you don't get to pick where you want to play. Like what other job do you have literally zero say over where you want to work?

Also international players would lose any leverage they have in negotiations. US players can go to college or back to school if they dont like where they are drafted or how much a team offers while international guys dont really have many other options, especially in areas where these players families need the money.

They have pro-ball in other countries to fall back on as well. If they are willing to go to the US, there is nothing to stop them from going to Japan, Korea, Mexico or anywhere else with pro leagues.

Haven't seen this mentioned here yet since the announcement today, but the following information makes me believe that we have a significant chance to sign any of these players... and that we have a chance to lure multiple names.

Those prospects will be allowed to retain their original bonuses in addition to negotiating new ones

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 04:48 PM)
Haven't seen this mentioned here yet since the announcement today, but the following information makes me believe that we have a significant chance to sign any of these players... and that we have a chance to lure multiple names.

I would have thought that was almost a given...not sure how they could expect these kids to cough it back up. Hopefully this does help the Sox chances...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 04:46 PM)
They have pro-ball in other countries to fall back on as well. If they are willing to go to the US, there is nothing to stop them from going to Japan, Korea, Mexico or anywhere else with pro leagues.

There are other leagues, but the viability of 16 year olds getting playing consistent time in these leagues is probably low. Plus I am not sure how all the free agency/entering a foreign league timelines would match up. Either way, its easier to just not have it than risk it not working out. I think the owners are okay with the current system because it reduces bonuses enough.