Giancarlo Stanton traded to Yankees

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 10, 2017 -> 12:54 AM)
I wonder when the national media is gonna realize that the Sox only have like 13 cents in payroll with arguably baseballs best young class.

When they remember they exist and have even won a World Series in a convincing fashion in this millennium. Until then I would dampen my expectations.

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 9, 2017 -> 01:51 PM)
Baseball won't be like the NBA simply because of how random the playoffs are. In the NBA, the best teams almost always win their playoff series, which is how you get CLE vs GS 3 times in a row. In baseball, anyone can win a 7 game series, and that will mix up the finals and World Series winners. It also gives hope to lower level teams, just get in the dance and anything can happen.

To add on to this...baseball won't be the NBA mainly because one player can't tilt a series like an NBA player can. Best player on the planet usually means you are getting pretty far in NBA (1 of 5); In baseball that dominance is muted by the fact that there are just more guys in the game and if said player is a pitcher...only 1 out of x games where you can even impact the game.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 9, 2017 -> 01:56 PM)
We’ve also seen time and time again franchises embrace complete organizations top to bottom (solid farm system, advanced scouting ect) and compete with larger market franchises. Sustained success is harder and made easy by money, but the NBA/MLB comparisons just aren’t really true, from a competitive standpoint.

This is true as well. Lots of small-to-mid market NBA franchises who have had a ton of sustained success. Nearly impossible to have "sustained" success in the smaller markets in baseball (or with smaller payrolls).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 03:21 PM)
This is true as well. Lots of small-to-mid market NBA franchises who have had a ton of sustained success. Nearly impossible to have "sustained" success in the smaller markets in baseball (or with smaller payrolls).

Baseball is becoming win during your 2-3 year window of opportunity, then rebuild because you won't be able to afford to keep your stars as they hit free agency if you are a medium or small market club. It is 100% about young, cheap cost controlled talent.

For example the Astros are primed to be very good the next 2-3 years even if Keuchel leaves in free agency due to farm depth and having a ton of cost controlled talent on the roster. If they tweak the bullpen and trade for a quality starter watch out.

Jeff Passan‏Verified account @JeffPassan 21m21 minutes ago The backstory of the Giancarlo Stanton trade is bonkers. Miami threatened that if he didn’t accept a trade to St. Louis or San Francisco, he would be a Marlin for life. He called their bluff. And because of it, he’s a New York Yankee.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 03:48 PM)
Bob Nightengale‏Verified account @BNightengale 52m52 minutes ago Stanton has no intention to opt out, agent Joel Wolfe says out of #Yankees deal

What else is he supposed to say right now?

"Yeah, I'm opting out after I smoke 60 home runs a year the next three seasons" Just to make sure to piss off the entire fanbase before he even gets there?

I doubt he opts out, as he still has a full no trade clause right? He's set for life with that contract and will he really be paid more in three years?

If you are Baltimore or Tampa or Toronto, how do you realistically put together a team that can have sustained success with Boston and the Yankees being able to do what they do? You could get lucky and be good for a couple of years, and maybe make the playoffs, which they all have done, but perpetual rebuilding seems to be their fate.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 06:05 PM)
If you are Baltimore or Tampa or Toronto, how do you realistically put together a team that can have sustained success with Boston and the Yankees being able to do what they do? You could get lucky and be good for a couple of years, and maybe make the playoffs, which they all have done, but perpetual rebuilding seems to be their fate.

Are the Sox in any different position DA?

I understand dont play BOS/NYY as often but ownership will need to absolutely spend big bucks soon to be able to compete.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 05:08 PM)
Are the Sox in any different position DA?

I understand dont play BOS/NYY as often but ownership will need to absolutely spend big bucks soon to be able to compete.

They are very different. Competing with Cleveland , Minnesota, Detroit, and KC, especially with the passing of Mike Illitch, $200 million payrolls aren't going to happen with any of them, let alone 2. If the White Eox right the ship, they will have an advantage.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 06:28 PM)
They are very different. Competing with Cleveland , Minnesota, Detroit, and KC, especially with the passing of Mike Illitch, $200 million payrolls aren't going to happen with any of them, let alone 2. If the White Eox right the ship, they will have an advantage.

Opening day 2017 payroll:

4 TIGERS

$ 199,750,600

You are correct by a whopping $249,400.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 06:36 AM)
MLB at fault here. One of the requisites for new ownership is liquidity after the purchase price. Obviously, this was overlooked for the Jeter Group.

I think it's done by design. Do they really want someone to buy the Marlins that will be throwing money at players like the Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox and Cubs do, and not care too much about the bottom line? They would make 24 or 25 teams look really bad.

When Loria signed Stanton, he and his son in law were already bragging about the deal, and saying they would never pay it all out. Stanton would opt out, and give them the out. They knew then, the franchise with it's revenues couldn't compete and have his contract on the payroll. He was there as a prop.