White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 10:44 AM)
If the White Sox are telling you they need him to check out everything before he hits free agency, and he will fall in love and sign an extension, they are also telling you they aren't going to be the highest offer if he gets to free agency. And he's getting to free agency.

I have no idea how you’ve jumped to that conclusion. This is all about gaining an edge against the all other teams who also plan on leveraging the “outbid everyone” strategy. IMO, the Sox wouldn’t even entertain the idea of acquiring him if they weren’t prepared to go all-in in free agency for him.

Maybe the White Sox do fully intend to top or at the very least match any offer he receives? If he has the same offer in hand, he could choose to stay with his teammates and friends he makes here for a year. Remember that payroll will be low for a while. Also remember, we're talking about the same team that would NEVER rebuild or NEVER spend $60 million on a teenager.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 10:07 AM)
No one really knows the offers, but if Machado is traded, the Orioles are going to get some pretty good prospects.

Who knows, maybe Abreu and Avi are in the mix. Mark Gonzalez called the package impressive, so I doubt that is several A ball guys hoping to find their way.

No doubt. He's one of the best in the game, and even if only for one season that's worth a lot. A team that acquires him could trade him at the deadline and still get a decent return, or they'll have the first chance at signing him to a long term deal if they don't trade him.

The Sox's offer may not include the top prospects, but I tend to agree that there might be some ML talent attached.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 09:45 AM)
Still think it's going to be hard to make him like the culture when the team is a threat to lose 100 games

Crazy that Hahn and company are trying to sell him on the culture. It's like arguing a player wants to be in our clubhouse because of the chemistry alone and not the winning. (thank you Don Cooper).

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 05:11 PM)
I have no idea how you’ve jumped to that conclusion. This is all about gaining an edge against the all other teams who also plan on leveraging the “outbid everyone” strategy. IMO, the Sox wouldn’t even entertain the idea of acquiring him if they weren’t prepared to go all-in in free agency for him.

Or maybe they think he will like it so much here he would give them a discount? At this point, no one has any clue what the real story is. They could trade Eloy and Kopech for him or two A ballers and it wouldn't shock me

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 10:11 AM)

Right. This is the only logical choice right now if you actually want to acquire him. Acquire him and make his experience a pleasant one. Then shell out a competitive offer in free agency and hope that all the work you put in previously did the job. That's the way it needs to be done.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 05:13 PM)
Crazy that Hahn and company are trying to sell him on the culture. It's like arguing a player wants to be in our clubhouse because of the chemistry alone and not the winning. (thank you Don Cooper).

If it was a Cuban player, I would say they might be on to something. This just seems insane

QUOTE (yesterday333 @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 11:14 AM)
What if it was Avi and Flores? Avi isn't under contract when we are set to compete. Is there anybody in the bigs you would trade for him?

I would be totally willing to move Garcia on such a deal. That offsets our payroll commitment without costing us anything from our 2020 roster.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 10:13 AM)

Maybe they'll tell him he can shred one uniform he doesn't like, and if he re-signs he can bring his kid to work once a week.

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 10:13 AM)
Right. This is the only logical choice right now if you actually want to acquire him. Acquire him and make his experience a pleasant one. Then shell out a competitive offer in free agency and hope that all the work you put in previously did the job. That's the way it needs to be done.

So keeping your prospects and offering him the most cash next offseason is something that won't work?

Machado without doubt, knows a lot of players who either play with the White Sox or have played for the White Sox. He will have an idea about "the culture" if he doesn't play in Chicago in 2018, and the White Sox try to sign him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 10:15 AM)
If it was a Cuban player, I would say they might be on to something. This just seems insane

Remember with A-rod they offered a rumored 10 yrs 190 or something right?

It seems that experience led them to believe that if Arod had been on the 2000 white sox he would have accepted at that reasonable deal and never let Boras do the extra fake team leverage with the Rangers to lead him to 10 years 220.

This isn't my thought process but it's what I think they must be thinking. If he likes you and you give him truly close to market value he may not do the max leverage, exhausting FA cycle that they don't want to get into.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 09:15 AM)
I would be totally willing to move Garcia on such a deal. That offsets our payroll commitment without costing us anything from our 2020 roster.

Well this might be what we are doing. If its an impressive offer with no top prospects then youd have to assume its players on the current roster. Abreu might be part of the package. And I thought I read somewhere that the O's still plan to compete this year.

QUOTE (yesterday333 @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 12:20 PM)
Well this might be what we are doing. If its an impressive offer with no top prospects then youd have to assume its players on the current roster. Abreu might be part of the package. And I thought I read somewhere that the O's still plan to compete this year.

But if we deal Abreu that will screw with the all important culture that we're using to make him stay at a discount...

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 10:17 AM)
So keeping your prospects and offering him the most cash next offseason is something that won't work?

Machado without doubt, knows a lot of players who either play with the White Sox or have played for the White Sox. He will have an idea about "the culture" if he doesn't play in Chicago in 2018, and the White Sox try to sign him.

I dont think they offer him the most cash.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 10:56 AM)
Are there examples where this has worked in the past with top of the line guys? And if this will net you a guy like Machado, shouldn't the "right price" be pretty steep?

I also think if the White Sox have to make this move, it is admitting they won't be the top bidders. KW was upset he wasn't given the opportunity to speak to Ohtani and convince him to take the White Sox $300k. Organizations that don't think money talks are kidding themselves. Playing for a 76-86 White Sox team in 2018 isn't going to convince him to sign with the team if the Sox offer isn't the highest or pretty damn close.

Not exactly the same, but Cespedes took less money/years to stay with the Mets cause he liked it there.

And no one is saying this will net you Machado, it’s also about improving your chances. The bidding process for Machado (and Harper) will be amongst the most competitive in baseball history. Again, to simply think you can outbid everyone on a potential $350M deal is crazy. The top bids will all likely be very close to one another. If the Sox aren’t prepared to go the distance financially, then trading for him now would be a fireable offense. But if they’re willing to match any offer, him forming a bond with Renteria & our players could give us an edge. And the W-L record won’t matter nearly as much if he can see the type of talent we have first hand. It’s no doubt a risk, but one worth taking at the right price IMO.

Bob Nightengale‏Verified account @BNightengale 3h3 hours ago The #Orioles would love to trade Manny Machado within next 24 to 36 hours, team execs say, but could take longer process to assure there is no back channel to the Bronx. All teams making offers are under premise that it could be one-and-done deal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 10:27 AM)
Bob Nightengale‏Verified account @BNightengale 3h3 hours ago The #Orioles would love to trade Manny Machado within next 24 to 36 hours, team execs say, but could take longer process to assure there is no back channel to the Bronx. All teams making offers are under premise that it could be one-and-done deal.

He said at the end that's why the Cards havent made a formal offer yet. This is just plain stupid management by Baltimore.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 10:24 AM)
Not exactly the same, but Cespedes took less money/years to stay with the Mets cause he liked it there.

And no one is saying this will net you Machado, it’s also about improving your chances. The bidding process for Machado (and Harper) will be amongst the most competitive in baseball history. Again, to simply think you can outbid everyone on a potential $350M deal is crazy. The top bids will all likely be very close to one another. If the Sox aren’t prepared to go the distance financially, then trading for him now would be a fireable offense. But if they’re willing to match any offer, him forming a bond with Renteria & our players could give us an edge. And the W-L record won’t matter nearly as much if he can see the type of talent we have first hand. It’s no doubt a risk, but one worth taking at the right price IMO.

Mets also made the playoffs. The White Sox won't be anywhere near in 2018.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 12:24 PM)

Can you back that one up? Cespedes re-upped with the Mets the first time for a huge 1 year deal because there were so many OFs on the market that it dried up before he signed, and then signed a 4 year deal with the highest per-year average salary for any OF in baseball.

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 10:21 AM)
I dont think they offer him the most cash.

If they aren't prepared to offer him the most cash, you have to admit the prospect he would be with the White Sox long term is minuscule, whether he goes to lunch with Ricky Renteria every day in 2018 or not.

Edited by Dick Allen