Yankees sign Adam Ottavino: 3yr/27m

Whisox05

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Not that it means much, but Richard Justice has an article on where he thinks the last seven relievers may go and the White Sox are favorites for several of them:

https://amp.mlb.com/302356264-where-top-remaining-fa-relievers-will-sign.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

The only one I don’t see as likely is Madson.

11 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Not that it means much, but Richard Justice has an article on where he thinks the last seven relievers may go and the White Sox are favorites for several of them:

https://amp.mlb.com/302356264-where-top-remaining-fa-relievers-will-sign.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

I read this originally as "last seven relievers may go to the White Sox." That would have really been something.

• Like 1

Just now, Roughneck said:

I read this originally as "last seven relievers may go to the White Sox." That would have really been something.

Lol...that would have been one deep, but expensive bullpen.  But seriously, adding Ottavino or Herrera would give us a fairy deep collection of high quality / high potential arms.  I really hope we land one of those guys, preferably Ottavino.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...that would have been one deep, but expensive bullpen.  But seriously, adding Ottavino or Herrera would give us a fairy deep collection of high quality / high potential arms.  I really hope we land one of those guys, preferably Ottavino.

I agree adding any of Ottavino, Herrera or Britton would be nice, but my thoughts are the Sox are kind of waiting to see what this team looks like before committing significant dollars to FA relievers.  If we land Machado and let's say Pollock for example, hell ya, let's go out and further extend our bullpen and get another SP.  But if we strike out on Machado/Harper, may as well just let the kids have the bullpen for another season and see who rises from the ashes.  I wont list all the names, but the Sox have a ton of guys who profile as major league relievers and most of them are major league ready, or least damn close.  Some will definitely flame out, and others like Fulmer probably already have, but if the Sox are going to for sure suck again in 2019, may as well give all those guys another trial run. You can add a guy like Ottavino next offseason. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I agree adding any of Ottavino, Herrera or Britton would be nice, but my thoughts are the Sox are kind of waiting to see what this team looks like before committing significant dollars to FA relievers.  If we land Machado and let's say Pollock for example, hell ya, let's go out and further extend our bullpen and get another SP.  But if we strike out on Machado/Harper, may as well just let the kids have the bullpen for another season and see who rises from the ashes.  I wont list all the names, but the Sox have a ton of guys who profile as major league relievers and most of them are major league ready, or least damn close.  Some will definitely flame out, and others like Fulmer probably already have, but if the Sox are going to for sure suck again in 2019, may as well give all those guys another trial run. You can add a guy like Ottavino next offseason. 

I generally agree, although I think a guy like Ottavino’s value could skyrocket if given the closer’s role and achieving similar results to last year.  If I can get him for two years at $10M/$11M per, I’d be willing to do that without a whale.

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I generally agree, although I think a guy like Ottavino’s value could skyrocket if given the closer’s role and achieving similar results to last year.  If I can get him for two years at $10M/$11M per, I’d be willing to do that without a whale.

Realistically we already have a guy like that in Colome. He's basically on a two year $16-18M deal (with the second year non guaranteed), and his value could definitely increase if given the closers role and he excels.  Really no need to add another potential closer if this team's offense remains putrid.  That's like buying a Ferrari but you can't afford the gas.  

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah. If you can get Ottavino for that, you do it. And assuming he doesn't blow up, they could always trade him at the deadline if 2019 is worse than expected and they aren't yet respectable.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Realistically we already have a guy like that in Colome. He's basically on a two year $16-18M deal (with the second year non guaranteed), and his value could definitely increase if given the closers role and he excels.  Really no need to add another potential closer if this team's offense remains putrid.  That's like buying a Ferrari but you can't afford the gas.  

While no doubt his value could increase by being the closer, I don’t think Colome has anywhere close to the ceiling Ottavino has.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

While no doubt his value could increase by being the closer, I don’t think Colome has anywhere close to the ceiling Ottavino has.

Colome is 3 years younger and theoretically has much more left in the tank. I think it comes down to if you think a 33 year old Ottavino had a career year or finally figured it out. Ottavino would be a riskier move. Despite that, I still want him, hahahah

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

If those numbers are right I'm a little disappointed.  Would've thought we'd be able to best that.

Yah, I’d rather have Ottavino at 3/$25M than Herrera on his deal. But I do think Ottavino has a decent chance of not being anywhere near as good as he was in 2018 moving forward. 

9 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

If those numbers are right I'm a little disappointed.  Would've thought we'd be able to best that.

Like you, I hope the 24/7 time spent on Machado doesn't hurt us with other possible signings. IF they are working with other FA's hopefully something gets reported soon.

17 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Who says they didn’t? If you’re 33 year old Adam Ottavino and you had two similar deals from the Yankees or the 100 loss White Sox, where would you go? Would have been awesome if the Sox could have gotten him.

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS

16 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Who says they didn’t? If you’re 33 year old Adam Ottavino and you had two similar deals from the Yankees or the 100 loss White Sox, where would you go? Would have been awesome if the Sox could have gotten him.

Fair point.  He grew up a Yankee fan too.

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

I don't disagree with them choosing not to

Agreed. Relievers on longer 3/4 year deals have shown that at least 1 year is generally a dud or an unlucky one, so basically paying an additional 9mil season hoping that 2/3 are good isn't best use of funds. Also, we have some good talent in minors ready within that time frame

Edited by EloyJenkins