Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

4 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

The only real threat the Sox face are the Indians, and they're the worst they have been in awhile. I don't think the Twins will be anything special.

Meanwhile, the Phillies have to deal with the Braves, Nationals, and maybe even the Mets. 

The White Sox won 62 games. They haven’t added a player who put up a 1.2 fWAR or higher last year. With or without Manny, they will most likely suck. But at least with him and Eloy, there actually may be a reason to watch after the first couple of weeks.

1 minute ago, pcq said:

Adam Wainwright says players are angry over the lack of signings and suggests a walkout could be considered. He acknowledges that metrics have played a role. NY Post

They can't "walk out." It's literally illegal and a breach of contract which would void all their abilities to negotiate. 

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The White Sox won 62 games. They haven’t added a player who put up a 1.2 fWAR or higher last year. With or without Manny, they will most likely suck. But at least with him and Eloy, there actually may be a reason to watch after the first couple of weeks.

I keep seeing how they said they want to win this year, but as it stands right now, their roster was better last year than it is right now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Cease, Robert, Madrigal and tracking the #3 pick are the other main reasons to be excited about this season.

Maybe cheering for Renteria to be replaced...by Madden, lol.  Not sure how Sox fans would feel about taking “seconds” two times in row from the Cubs, but he is already outselling every single White Sox player’s jersey.  And the media (mostly) adores him.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I keep seeing how they said they want to win this year, but as it stands right now, their roster was better last year than it is right now.

I honestly don't understand how their roster was better last year - not sure why people continue to say that. Who have they lost that was worth anything? Their roster is better this year because they're a year older, and because all they "lost" was Avi and Davidson who are bad.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Manny, Eloy, the improved bullpen, and hopefully leaps forward from the core guys should at least make this team somewhat respectable, especially in a terrible division.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Without Kopech and Cease, sure...but with Eloy, the bullpen additions, Moncada (and/or Giolito improving), Lopez continuing to progress, they should be 5-7 games better.

How one feels about Narvaez repeating his 2018 season is another significant factor.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Cease, Robert, Madrigal and tracking the #3 pick are the other main reasons to be excited about this season.

Maybe cheering for Renteria to be replaced...by Madden, lol.  Not sure how Sox fans would feel about taking “seconds” two times in row from the Cubs, but he is already outselling every single White Sox player’s jersey.  And the media (mostly) adores him.

Madden is an asshat. 

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Without Kopech and Cease, sure...but with Eloy, the bullpen additions, Moncada (and/or Giolito improving), Lopez continuing to progress, they should be 5-7 games better.

How one feels about Narvaez repeating his 2018 season is another significant factor.

I said it before, but Lopez's second half was the most exciting thing to happen to that team last year. His September he threw 33 innings, struck out 35, OBAA of .164 and an ERA of 1.09. The improved strike out rate his final 8 starts showed the advancement of his secondaries as the year went on. I'm excited for Reynaldo this year. He also had a FIP under 2.8.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Manny, Eloy, the improved bullpen, and hopefully leaps forward from the core guys should at least make this team somewhat respectable, especially in a terrible division.

Eloy is big, but still a rookie. What they added, and what they lost during the offseason, from an fWAR perspective, was about a push. Nova and Shields, similar. Davidson and Alonso, similar. Jay was better than Avi, but Kevan Smith was better than McCann. Narvaez was better than them all. Maybe Castillo has a good year. And some guys hopefully step up. But you are asking for a lot to go right, especially with Kopech on the sidelines, for there to be even the slightest chance.

This was a 100 loss team despite playing almost a quarter of their schedule vs.Det and KC.

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The irony is that Bowden tweet is probably the most substantial thing said by an insider yet and no one is talking about it. 

Bowden says this is pretty close to done. Yet... a bunch of random Twitter dorks stir up more discussion with their fake takes.

Yes you are correct. I've been over in Manny land - that other thread.  Missed the Bowden tweet. And that is a very significant thing he said. Wow. 

26 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If it is true being able to win in 2019 was a requirement to sign Harper, the Sox got used by Boras.

It could just be a a statement to justify why he is going to a team when it was reported earlier he didn't want to go there. It sounds better than "I went to a place I didn't like because they gave me a crapload of money."

Harper to the Phillies made sense all along, it just hurts as I really wanted both Harper and Machado. 

I won't fault the front office for losing out on Harper as it seemed they focused on Machado, but they better get Machado if the Phillies get Harper. Failure to complete Machado would likely result in me finding a new favorite team. 

Really wanted to root for Bryce.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Harper to the Phillies made sense all along, it just hurts as I really wanted both Harper and Machado. 

I won't fault the front office for losing out on Harper as it seemed they focused on Machado, but they better get Machado if the Phillies get Harper. Failure to complete Machado would likely result in me finding a new favorite team. 

Really wanted to root for Bryce.

12 minutes ago, fathom said:

I didn’t know he picked Phillies

Bowden, again. Phillies and Harper "rounding third base".

Edited by Saufley

• Heads22 changed the title to Harper Latest: Smoke around the Phightin Phils