Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

3 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I may be in the minority, but I don't worry about his SLG%. Not everybody needs to fit a certain mold. A guy who has a solid glove and puts the ball in play is worthwhile. Also as everybody has kind of said, lets give it some time here.

He had a .702 OPS in WS. That is not going to cut if it does not significantly increase this year. 

1 minute ago, mqr said:

He had a .702 OPS in WS. That is not going to cut if it does not significantly increase this year. 

Usually yes, but I don’t think OPS should be used at all to measure Madrigal, in fact it seems kind of dumb.  He’s 5’7” and claims his only job is to get on base.  Why use a stat with slugging to determine anything?

Are you saying a .400 OBP from him with a .300-something SLG wouldn’t be playable?  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Usually yes, but I don’t think OPS should be used at all to measure Madrigal, in fact it seems kind of dumb.  He’s 5’7” and claims his only job is to get on base.  Why use a stat with slugging to determine anything?

Are you saying a .400 OBP from him with a .300-something SLG wouldn’t be playable?  

If he continues to hit balls into the ground as much as he has, a .400 OBP isn't going to be possible. Also, that would be an OPS > than .702..

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

If he continues to hit balls into the ground as much as he has, a .400 OBP isn't going to be possible. Also, that would be an OPS > than .702..

There's nothing wrong with ground balls provided you don't hit into their shift.

11 minutes ago, hi8is said:

I’d give fast food a try for the first time in a few years for that sauce 😆

The real question is... did Manny eat there?

I know were talking tacos but theres this small bar in wooddale that serves Raspberry flavored chicken wings. Sweet then gives a smooth kick. totally worth it.

Edited by Ben Waffleson

1 minute ago, BrianAnderson said:

This board is bi-polar sometimes. (all the time)

So many hot takes on Madrigal, Timmy Anderson, Moncada, etc.

Just give me 9 professional hitters that each serve a purpose and I'm fine. I just want a mix of power, speed, slugging, OBP, etc.

I don't disagree, I'm just saying let's cool the jets on moving Moncada for Madrigal until he proves he's a professional hitter. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I may be in the minority, but I don't worry about his SLG%. Not everybody needs to fit a certain mold. A guy who has a solid glove and puts the ball in play is worthwhile. Also as everybody has kind of said, lets give it some time here.

I'm definitely concerned with his ability to get the ball out of the infield with a wooden bat. 

• Like 1

Just now, DirtySox said:

The sky is falling momentum? Good riddance. I still feel like radio silence regarding the White Sox is a good omen.

The negotiations reaching the final stages last call type of momentum. It kind of seemed like thats where this was heading but it was probably a false alarm. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres