Joc Pederson: πŸ’€πŸ’€β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹πŸ’€β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹

NCsoxfan

14 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Good point about Pederson in CF. If the Sox acquire Pederson I'm thinking it's to put him in RF with Cordell or Leury as potential platoon partners. That leaves Engel/Jay platoon in CF. As long as Jay can still get good jumps he should be fine playing CF in a platoon role.

Pederson is a fine centerfielder. There is a lot more that goes into being an outfielder than foot speed especially given the wonky ways it's recorded.

Coredll has no place on the roster. Leury has no part of any platoon especially in RF.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It might have legs but Joc does not. For anyone thinking Joc would play CF regularlyΒ  they should probably think again. According to Statcast Sprint speeds Joc clocks in at 26.3 ft/sec. . That is the same speed as Manny Machado and .01 higher than Matt Kemp. For comparisons Engle 30.1. Moncada 28.8, Tim Anderson 28.7 . Here's the real surprise, Avi at 29.0. How many wanted to see Avi in CF ?Β  John Jay is even slower now than Pederson at 26.0 ft/second. These stats are from 2018.

2017 Jay was 26.4 so he lost .40 from 2017 to 2018 2017 Pederson was 26.5 so he lost .20 from last year.

Engle is as fast as Billy Hamilton. Only Byron Buxton, Roman Quinn and Magneuris Sierra are slightly faster than Engel. They all play CF.

Doesn't the avi footspeed thing undercut your argument that it matters significantly to his defensive value?

That said, dodgers were very good at shifting for machado so same case might exist for Pederson.

2 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Pederson is a fine centerfielder. There is a lot more that goes into being an outfielder than foot speed especially given the wonky ways it's recorded.

Coredll has no place on the roster. Leury has no part of any platoon especially in RF.

It's going to be interesting to see what they do with the roster. Pederson and Jay shouldn't play vs LHP in most cases and they don't really have a RH counterpart for those plate appearances.Β 

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It's going to be interesting to see what they do with the roster. Pederson and Jay shouldn't play vs LHP in most cases and they don't really have a RH counterpart for those plate appearances.Β 

I think if they acquire Pederson they should let him play vs lhp this year and see if it can improve with more consistent reps. For others, well, we have two catchers who hit pretty well off lefties. Lets get Tim Anderson reps as emergency catcher.

Actually just looking at his stats, Jay wouldn't even be that bad in CF against lefties. .280 career average, .358 OBP. Last year he was at .241/.349. No point in sharing power numbers since that's not his game.

Point is: don't feel like you need to carry a platoon bat for him on the bench.

Edited by soxfan2014

13 minutes ago, bmags said:

Doesn't the avi footspeed thing undercut your argument that it matters significantly to his defensive value?

That said, dodgers were very good at shifting for machado so same case might exist for Pederson.

Nothing makes up for speed out there and 26.0 is pretty slow, 27 ft. /sec is league average.

Nothing makes up for speed but there's also route to the ball and like BS13 said getting a good jump but slow is slow .The differ3nce between AVi and Jay is 3 feet per sec.Β  4 ft/sec between Jay and Engel. If a ball is hit in the gap and it takes you 3-4 seconds to get there thats 12-16 ft you can't cover that Ehegl could. A good route and getting a good jump/read can't make up for that. Of course a good read does make a lot of difference sometimes especially in CF where a bad read where you freeze or start on balls hit directly at you. I don't know enough about Jays or Pederson reads or routes to the ball but their speed alone would be costlyΒ  and certainly nowhere near ideal.

13 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Please let's get real. No one who is a full 1 sec, slow than the league average speed of 27ft/sec should be playing CFΒ  on a regular basis.. If you think how they calculate sprint speeds is wonky then its wonky for everyone. That's not league average for OF's that's league average for everyone including all your slowest of the slow catchersΒ  and infielders.

Abreu , Delmoinco, Palka and even Kevan Smith are faster than Pederson. Now we're going to argue about the validity of Statcast ?

11 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Β Last year he was at .241/.349. No point in sharing power numbers since that's not his game.

Β 

Jay was OBP .330, .678 OPS last year.Β  Β But he did have one season in his last 4 with an OBP of an acceptable .340 or more andΒ he's only 33 so I'm sure he'll improve.Β  He should definitely get the at bats on this rebuilding team.

Edited by GreenSox

3 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Jay was OBP .330, .678 OPS last year.Β  Β But he did have one season in his last 4 with an OBP of an acceptable .340 or more andΒ he's only 33 so I'm sure he'll improve.Β  He should definitely get the at bats on this rebuilding team.

749 in 2017. Split the difference and I'd be happy with 714 in 2019 (~100 points higher than Adam Engel...)

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Please let's get real. No one who is a full 1 sec, slow than the league average speed of 27ft/sec should be playing CFΒ  on a regular basis.. If you think how they calculate sprint speeds is wonky then its wonky for everyone. That's not league average for OF's that's league average for everyone including all your slowest of the slow catchersΒ  and infielders.

Abreu , Delmoinco, Palka and even Kevan Smith are faster than Pederson. Now we're going to argue about the validity of Statcast ?

WTF are you talking about?Β 

15 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Actually just looking at his stats, Jay wouldn't even be that bad in CF against lefties. .280 career average, .358 OBP. Last year he was at .241/.349. No point in sharing power numbers since that's not his game.

Point is: don't feel like you need to carry a platoon bat for him on the bench.

Frankly I'd rather have Engel in CF more than Jay . Not that its much better but it is better. Jay is pretty slow now and getting slower every year.

6 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Firstly, spectacular arbitrary cutoff of a .340 OBP. Secondly, who is Jay taking ABs away from in 2019 that you are mad about?

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Sprint speeds why do you feel the need to ask me in such a impolite way ?

Because you replied to his post talking about platooning with "Please lets get real" and didn't have anything to say about platooning.

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Sprint speeds. Why do you feel the need to ask me in such an impolite way ?

Because I think you meant to quote Brian. I literally had no idea what you were talking about. I'm just over here trying to construct appropriate platoons.Β 

• Heads22 changed the title to JocTalk.com - Waiting......