Marwin Gonzalez Signs with the Twins - 2 yr/21 mil

Whisox05

1 minute ago, Sleepy Harold said:

I deleted the thread I made, but these two tweets sum up Heyman's off-season pretty well.

chisox committed to not driving up costs for any free agents so when cba comes around they can shame all the rest.

Ugh, one of the few signings left that would've at least given me some excitement.  He would've been interesting cuz he plays 7 positions, he could just pivot anywhere if we made a big trade or signed someone.  

2 years $21 mil per Heyman.  I would've been all over that.

4 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Ugh, one of the few signings left that would've at least given me some excitement.  He would've been interesting cuz he plays 7 positions, he could just pivot anywhere if we made a big trade or signed someone.  

2 years $21 mil per Heyman.  I would've been all over that.

Would you rather pay 10.5 million for a 30 year old player that plays 7 positions and has a .320 career obp and fluctuating power or 9 million for a first baseman that only had an ops 5 points higher than the other guy?

Tough calls.

2/$21M is a steal.  But Marwin really isn't that good.  Outside of his awesome 2017, he's a pretty meh player.  Valueable in that you can plug him in anwyhere other that CF and C, but his 2018 line of .247/.324/.409 was his 2nd best season in the bigs. 

Honestly and go ahead and kill me let Yolmer play one more year. I think Yolmer had a down year last year. The year he took over for Frazier everybody was high on him. I think Yolmer is a better player than he gets credit for. I'm ok with a .275 15 75 from yolmer

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Would you rather pay 10.5 million for a 30 year old player that plays 7 positions and has a .320 career obp and fluctuating power or 9 million for a first baseman that only had an ops 5 points higher than the other guy?

Tough calls.

You forgot to put Alex Call on a pedestal as well.  :)

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

2/$21M is a steal.  But Marwin really isn't that good.  Outside of his awesome 2017, he's a pretty meh player.  Valueable in that you can plug him in anwyhere other that CF and C, but his 2018 line of .247/.324/.409 was his 2nd best season in the bigs. 

3rd.  He had a .760 ops year as a 26 year old.

2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Gonzalez was one of the guys I never wanted. He's better than Yolmer, but not by enough to justify the price it would take to get him.

Yep. He makes more sense for the Twins than us.

Would have actually been fine with this deal if not for the draft pick.

Edited by soxfan2014