Kiebs13

Nolan Arenado to sign extension with the Rockies

I mean, it took what, a week? for the Machado deal to look pretty darn good. Once these MLB redoes their players association deal you better believe they'll get a bigger piece of the pie earlier in their careers. Owners are making more than ever and players aren't going to stand by. We'll look back at Machado for $30mm and laugh at ourselves even harder while we have Mark Teahen or Brent Morel manning the 2025 hot corner.

The Sox FO is just terrible & isn't going to change.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kiebs13 said:

fuck

Kudos to the Rockies for doing what they needed to do.

• Like 2

Oh look JR and Hahn waited around too long and now Machado at $30mm looks like a good deal & the price on Harper just went up to $36mm per year instead of maybe being able to get him at 10/320.

Clowns.

We're mired in mediocrity.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Well, fuck me. 

1 minute ago, Kiebs13 said:

fuck

It's now harper or bust with the big free agents.

• Like 1

Just now, fathom said:

Why are we mad that Nolan signed the extension?  I think it’s pretty cool.

People had hope the Sox would sign him next year. I'm not sure how that isn't obvious.

• Thanks 1

Just now, fathom said:

Many of the rainbow sunshiners tried to use him as a reason it was okay to not get Manny. 

• Like 4

A premium free agent off the market. Maybe the White Sox will realize they need to pay Harper now.

Personally, at this point, this may be the best thing that could happen. If the Sox were to put their eggs in the Arenado basket, that would mean Moncada was a bust at 3B, and would be moving to yet another position. And it's one less option for the team moving forward. Maybe Uncle Jerry will open the purse strings a little bit more.

Edited by Dick Allen

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

People had hope the Sox would sign him next year. I'm not sure how that isn't obvious.

It was never gonna happen. They didn’t move Yoan to 3rd just to move him back again. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fathom said:

just disappointed that there won't be a real "big fish" position player free agent next offseason

Just now, fathom said:

Absolutely. And as a baseball fan, I find it ridiculous Harper couldn’t stay in Washington. But anyway...

Just now, TheTruth05 said:

agreed with Fathom, the extension is good for baseball. Sox better hope Yoan is a solid 3B

And that Madrigal is a solid 2b.

2 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Oh look JR and Hahn waited around too long and now Machado at $30mm looks like a good deal & the price on Harper just went up to $36mm per year instead of maybe being able to get him at 10/320.

Clowns.

We're mired in mediocrity.

You have to be mediocre to be mired in it. 

• Like 1

Opt out after 3 years, that's a great contract for Nolan.

Edited by TheTruth05

Just now, Whitesox27 said:

We're so fucking fucked if Harper doesn't happen

Happy for Arenado to get his payday, a really good contract for him overall. 

This reinforces how big of a failure it was for the Sox to whiff on Machado, and likely Harper soon. The premium free agents are going to get the guaranteed years and payday, a club either needs to step up or sit out. 

• Like 1

I would not have been confident that the Sox would have won any bidding war for him either though. I’m sure that there would have probably been even more of a market for him than there was with Manny and Harper this year. The odds would have been greatly against us. 

Just now, shipps said:

I would not have been confident that the Sox would have won any bidding war for him either though. I’m sure that there would have probably been even more of a market for him than there was with Manny and Harper this year. The odds would have been greatly against us. 

That offer contains more guaranteed money than the White Sox offered Machado and Arenado had a year left before free agency.