Eloy officially got paid

Jose Abreu

It's nice to have a guy who can speak directly to the media and fans. I know Jose has been working so hard on English for 5-6 years now.  In my world everyone learns and uses Spanish or English.  The league has dropped the ball here imo. 

6 hours ago, Harper2Sox said:

Didn’t you also outline a way in which you justified Eloy getting paid the initial bogus rumor from Hector Gomez of $100 million, which made no sense as a legitimate amount of money to pay him instead of the Sox simply going through the salary arbitration process with Eloy?

Wait someone isn't ANGRY??? Must SMASH!!!!

Just now, Harper2Sox said:

Was about to say this, haha.  “See, I told you all that the money would be spent!”

I think he’ll be less direct than that, but will suggest locking up young talent is one way that money can be used, even though this move has zero impact on improving a 100 loss team for the next seven seasons.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think he’ll be less direct than that, but will suggest locking up young talent is one way that money can be used, even though this move has zero impact on improving a 100 loss team for the next seven seasons.

Yep, he was already property of the Sox and anyone thinking about Hahn’s guarantee of spending money was thinking about either Machado or Harper batting back-to-back with Eloy, not using some of the money to lock up a guy who was already locked up.

Edited by Harper2Sox

If Eloy gets off to an amazing start ... look out. Sox will dominate talk shows and headlines in April. THAT'S why I wanted to compete this year. If the team blows, the Eloy mania will have to die down. Right now, Cubs are old news. Nothing compelling til the playoffs begin. Everybody likes a phenom and that's Eloy, baby.

p.s. If Eloy is Dave Winfield personified times three, that only makes Moncada, Tim, Abreu better. They'll want to excel as well. Let the Eloy era begin. Let's just hope we can SOMEHOW sniff .500.

Edited by greg775

On 3/21/2019 at 7:27 PM, Harper2Sox said:

Yolmer is no MLB regular.  Neither is Palka.  I basically said Palka’s defense is trash but he hits the occasional bomb.  We need a 2B and a RFer.  Hopefully we have a 2B in Madrigal but I don’t have much faith in Rutherford or Adolfo being our next RFer.

So you don't like Gonzalez or Basabe either because if it's Eloy in LF and Robert ends up in CF that leaves Basabe ,Gonzalez, Rutherford and Adolfo for RF all of whom are among the top prospects in our system. They all are better fielders than Eloy so if 2 of that 4 become good we have a lot of talent and options.

On 3/22/2019 at 9:02 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s not an accurate comparison.  The Cubs will have paid Bryant (an MVP winner) a total of $26M for his first five seasons.  He will have to increase his 2019 salary of $13M by ~30% next year just to match Eloy’s guaranteed money over his first six years.  That will likely happen if he has a rebound in performance, but the difference between what he’ll get paid and what we just guaranteed Eloy should be minimal for those same seasons.  Yes, there is some upside in year 7 as well, but this is 100% about buying a single free agent year.  That’s where almost all the value in this extension resides.

And I’ll keep saying it, but I don’t dislike the move.  I just don’t think it’s that team friendly compared to many other extensions including the Sale, Quintana, Eaton, & Anderson deals.  I think Hahn/KW overpaid here a bit relative to other benchmarks, but if that’s the price of locking down Eloy for an 8th year so be it.  I’m just not going to sugar coat this deal and make it look this is some steal when IMO it isn’t.

I think you are being completely fair and objective. As a Sox fan who loves Eloy now as I'm sure you do you're happy about him starting the season here and the extra year. However we cannot pretend this is a slam dunk deal for the Sox. It could be but it also could not be. You brought up his injury issues and you could take that a step farther if you really wanted to, It's not outlandish to say in the next 5 years he could miss valuable time to injury. Wouldn't even have to be the soft tissue ones he's been having. It could be a serious injury or 2 where he misses significant time. He won't rack up WAR for his fielding like Bregman or Trout and it's also a leap to assume he can even produce the hitting stats of those 2 .

Eloy will also need to learn to take his fair share of walks if he proves he is an above average hitter. As with most others I see a bright future for him if he is what he appears to be but due to him being a left fielder it's much harder to get an above 5 WAR. In the last 3 years only 5 primarily left fielders were above a 5 WAR. Not counting Robert If one of our other OF prospects becomes good they surely move Eloy out of the OF. I'm not saying he is bad there just not as good as the other OF prospects should they also become good.

All that being said I hope he hits like JD Martinez does and right from the start and never gets injured and becomes the best bargain ever !

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
spelling/grammar
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Harper2Sox said:

Yep, he was already property of the Sox and anyone thinking about Hahn’s guarantee of spending money was thinking about either Machado or Harper batting back-to-back with Eloy, not using some of the money to lock up a guy who was already locked up.

This is how I see it also. Great we go an extra year of a potential superstar but potential can flame out with injuries or performance that doesn't equal the kind of player we think he is. The spend money comments definitely were about Free Agency.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside