Tim Anderson to be suspended 1 game for... language?

Jose Abreu

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Well we were both on the South Side but I was at 72nd and Wood street and the blacktop baseball was either played at St. Justin  and when we out grew that the local public school blacktop was much bigger, Raster Elementary. I worked for a few years in Mt Greenwood at 103rd and Western, 2 jobs sometimes right in a buildings close together, The White Hen Pantry and The Chicago Tribune Telephone Soliciting office. That was around when I was 18.19 and 20. Running bases was called "pickle" in a lot of places because it was basically trying to get out of being in a rundown .

Early in HS family moved to Oak Lawn and although a bit older would still play fast pitch when the opportunity arose. I would often hitchhike from Quigley South (79th and Western) to 103rd street then up 103rd street past Cicero Ave into Oak Lawn . You Alma Mater Brother Rice could be seen from 103rd Street and I played basketball too once in a while at St Xavier College.

I was about as far removed from the South Side (closer to Wisconsin than Oak Street Beach) but we played the exact same games with the exact same names. Fast pitch against the wall. Pickle or running bases. With limited kids around all the special rules "right field out", "pitchers hand out", "batter catches". 

1 minute ago, yesterday333 said:

What % of African American do you have to be to use the n word? If we have different rules for different races isn't that saying they are different, which is the opposite of what we want. There should be no difference and no different set of rules.

Right. Which is why the best option is that no one should use racially sensitive language to anyone.

12 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I was about as far removed from the South Side (closer to Wisconsin than Oak Street Beach) but we played the exact same games with the exact same names. Fast pitch against the wall. Pickle or running bases. With limited kids around all the special rules "right field out", "pitchers hand out", "batter catches". 

Exactly right field out and pitchers hand out  for those uninformed meant we had no 1st baseman so a groundball fielded would be thrown to the pitcher for the out if he caught it before the runner reached 1st. Batter catches was always tough . I actually forget how we handled the catching most of the time. Usually a little brother who was too young to play with us.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

10 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

What % of African American do you have to be to use the n word? If we have different rules for different races isn't that saying they are different, which is the opposite of what we want. There should be no difference and no different set of rules.

prolly gonna go with 1 drop to be real.  but for MLB in the future obviously nobody should be using it on field.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1

White people trying to dictate to African Americans, or Blacks, or however they genuflect to refer to them, in order to not offend, is just too rich. If the Black culture has adopted a variation of the "N word" and wishes to use it, what gives non Blacks the right to attempt to prohibit them from doing so? First, White people oppressed Blacks, and used the word in the worst pejorative sense. Then, they decide that those same people are "prohibited" from using the word, or some variation of it. Apparently, non Blacks still think that they can dictate Black behavior and speech, which is none of their business. It's not a crime to use a word. It's called Free Speech. Oh the irony.

Blacks should be able to use the word, anyway they choose. They earned that right. They didn't create the word, or the horrendous persecution, which it characterized. Whether, or not, that term, or any variation of it, should be considered acceptable, should be the prerogative of the Black culture. MLB is just reflecting the stupidity of the entire absurd notion. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 8

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

White people trying to dictate to African Americans, or Blacks, or however they genuflect to refer to them, in order to not offend, is just too rich. If the Black culture has adopted a variation of the "N word" and wishes to use it, what gives non Blacks the right to attempt to prohibit them from doing so? First, White people oppressed Blacks, and used the word in the worst pejorative sense. Then, they decide that those same people are "prohibited" from using the word, or some variation of it. Apparently, non Blacks still think that they can dictate Black behavior and speech, which is none of their business. It's not a crime to use a word. It's called Free Speech. Oh the irony.

Blacks should be able to use the word, anyway they choose. They earned that right. They didn't create the word, or the horrendous persecution, which it characterized. Whether, or not, that term, or any variation of it, should be considered acceptable, should be the prerogative of the Black culture. MLB is just reflecting the stupidity of the entire absurd notion. 

Do all players need to declare their race and ethnicity prior to the season? Do all umpires need to carry the list so they know who they can eject and who is allowed to use those names and who they can use them against. Who is going to compile the list of acceptable names African Americans can call each other, names that Cubans or Puerto Ricans can call each other?

Just now, ptatc said:

Do all players need to declare their race and ethnicity prior to the season? Do all umpires need to carry the list so they know who they can eject and who is allowed to use those names and who they can use them against. Who is going to compile the list of acceptable names African Americans can call each other, names that Cubans or Puerto Ricans can call each other?

Not white people I'll tell you that.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I know blackoeople who get offended when they are called that name by another black person.

Man who the fuck black guy you know who gets offended by that? I'm very curious and trying not to laugh as a fellow (half) African American and one of the very few on this board (lost, J4L miss y'all).

Edited by SoxAce
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Preach.

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Not white people I'll tell you that.

If no other race can do it, then they will need panels of each different declared race or ethnicity to determine what is right or wrong for their given race or ethnicity. 

This should only take about a decade.

6 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Man who the fuck black guy you know who gets offended by that? I'm very curious and trying not to laugh as a fellow (half) African American and one of the very few on this board (lost, J4L miss y'all).

See, n**** first was used back in the deep south
Fallin out between the dome of the white man's mouth
It means that we will never grow, you know the word dummy
Other n****s in the community think it's crummy
But i don't, neither does the youth cause we
Em-brace adversity it goes right with the race
And being that we use it as a term of endearment

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

If no other race can do it, then they will need panels of each different declared race or ethnicity to determine what is right or wrong for their given race or ethnicity. 

This should only take about a decade.

Stop pretending that commonsense is so elusive. The lengths that old white people go to to protect their stranglehold...shit is fucked. 

• Like 2

Sure we have a black and white situation (it's important we ignore the pun) but what if it were grey? This is a slippery slope. Could lead to a lot of other outrageous circumstances, I mean, just think of the possibilities. Man, what if?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Flythesock said:

Stop pretending that commonsense is so elusive. The lengths that old white people go to to protect their stranglehold...shit is fucked. 

What stranglehold are you talking about? I'm honestly trying to come up with an adequate solution. If you don't like that one let's see your solution. One that can be applied fairly to everyone.

Personally I do not want a biased person like Joe West making judgement calls like this.

2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Marcus Stroman liked one of my tweets defending Anderson. Lol.

Rob Manfred will shortly be introducing his latest great idea: the AS game rosters will now be comprised by race.  It will be a single elimination tournament.  White guys, Latin Guys, Black guys and Asian guys.  Dave Chappelle will announce the rosters.  Each team will get to draft one crossover race player.  With the 1st pick the Asians have selected Mike Trout.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

Sure we have a black and white situation (it's important we ignore the pun) but what if it were grey? This is a slippery slope. Could lead to a lot of other outrageous circumstances, I mean, just think of the possibilities. Man, what if?

Agreed. There needs to be a set policy. 

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Rob Manfred will shortly be introducing his latest great idea: the AS game rosters will now be comprised by race.  It will be a single elimination tournament.  White guys, Latin Guys, Black guys and Asian guys.  Dave Chappelle will announce the rosters.  Each team will get to draft one crossover race player.  With the 1st pick the Asians have selected Mike Trout.

That was a classic Chappelle bit. One of my all time faves. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 2