Robert Prospect Ranking

ChiSox59

Do we expect Robert to be a consensus top 5 prospect when the mid-season prospect ranking updates come out?  I can't imagine there are 5 minor leagues with more talent and upside than him.  His current rankings, while they make some sense due to his injuries last season and rawness, look completely silly at the moment.  

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Sorry, that was regarding who will be number 1 in the offseason. I expect Robert in top 10 with guys like Franco, Trammell, Kelenic, Lewis, Kiriloff

You are still way too high on india.

2 hours ago, fathom said:

I’m thinking India first, then Kelenic, then Larnach.  

Actually it will be Mize

You think Trevor Larnach is going to go from unranked to a top 3 prospect in baseball?  

edit: ahhh, I see you clarified later. 

Edited by ChiSox59

11 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You think India will be the #1 prospect in all of baseball come this offseason?

Nevermind...ignore this post.

He did think the Sox should have drafted him over Madrigal FWIW. So he probably views him as a top 30 or so prospect in MLB. 

Depends on whether he finally can play 100+ games. If he plays 120 games and performs he likely will be at least top15 if not top10. But if he has another sub 60 game season with injuries it is hard to rank him that high. Really all about health for him.

2 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

He did think the Sox should have drafted him over Madrigal FWIW. So he probably views him as a top 30 or so prospect in MLB. 

By the start of next year, sure.  He was around 50 to start the season.  Meanwhile, go ahead and celebrate that the 4th pick in the draft was able to hit the ball off the wall :)

2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

This is just silly. Madrigal doesn't need to hit home runs to be an asset at the MLB level.

Sure, but he also has to keep the defense honest.  I don’t care about the homers, but rather he’s pulling the ball with authority lately. His oppo field pct has decreased 7 pct from this time last week.  Being able to pull the ball more frequently should open more holes for him, as he was being defended like a dead-pull lefty hitter

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, fathom said:

Sure, but he also has to keep the defense honest.  I don’t care about the homers, but rather he’s pulling the ball with authority lately. His oppo field pct has decreased 7 pct from this time last week.  Being able to pull the ball more frequently should open more holes for him, as he was being defended like a dead-pull lefty hitter

He’s also drawing walks like crazy of late.  If he can be a .350+ OBP player with some gap power, he’ll be plenty valuable as a leadoff hitter for us.

As a big Madrigal fan, I feel the need to drum this beat over and over but the Madrigal of today will not be that exciting to me. You have to believe in this kids makeup and contact skills to translate into something greater. That doesn't mean 20 home run power, but it does mean getting the most out of that contact. 

I keep bringing him up, but look at how willians astudillo translated incredible contact into increasing power. Hopefully it doesn't take him to age 27, but he has a lot more skills than la tortuga.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bmags said:

As a big Madrigal fan, I feel the need to drum this beat over and over but the Madrigal of today will not be that exciting to me. You have to believe in this kids makeup and contact skills to translate into something greater. That doesn't mean 20 home run power, but it does mean getting the most out of that contact. 

I keep bringing him up, but look at how willians astudillo translated incredible contact into increasing power. Hopefully it doesn't take him to age 27, but he has a lot more skills than la tortuga.

Rod Carew never hit 15 home runs (averaged 6 per year over 162 in a 19 year career)  but in a 7 year period put up a 49 WAR.  Great fielding second baseman, great speed, good eye, great bat control...that's your ceiling.