Who would still want Maddon?

caulfield12

A Reinsdorf-Maddon pairing wouldn't work on many levels:

(1) Reinsdorf minimizes the effect of managerial impacts on on-field outcomes which means he ain't paying for a top tier field-general.

(2) Maddon would not have total control over his staff. There would be an insistence on retaining club-house stool pidgeon Cooper. 

(3) Reinsdorf is lost in the 1950"s with his out of touch rules regarding self-expression. There would be seriously clashes of culture.

(4) Reinsdorf is not an affluent sportsman. It takes money to be competitive. Reinsdorf is a master of making money while being historically  mired in mediocrity. 

Edited by GradMc

2 hours ago, GradMc said:

A Reinsdorf-Maddon pairing wouldn't work on many levels:

(1) Reinsdorf minimizes the effect of managerial impacts on on-field outcomes which means he ain't paying for a top tier field-general.

(2) Maddon would not have total control over his staff. There would be an insistence on retaining club-house stool pidgeon Cooper. 

(3) Reinsdorf is lost in the 1950"s with his out of touch rules regarding self-expression. There would be seriously clashes of culture.

(4) Reinsdorf is not an affluent sportsman. It takes money to be competitive. Reinsdorf is a master of making money while being historically  mired in mediocrity. 

I agree with numbers 1 and 2 with a great stress on #2. Reinsdorf will not allow Maddon, or anyone like him, to come in and change things. I don't see a change in managers in 2020. But it will have to come eventually and a strong manager will want to his own coaching staff. So that probably means the team won't get a high-profile or strong manager.

Actually, the timing might work out if he (Maddon) takes a full year off to travel, do charity work, broadcast or write a book.

But it would require López, Cease, Kopech, Giolito and Dunning imploding as a rotation next year and Cooper taking early retirement.

In other words, total desperation and cleaning house with a new GM and manager.  Would probably mean Hahn whiffed yet again in free agency...but the core offensive players continued to progress and they were a 75-79 win team despite a plethora of pitching issues.

1 hour ago, Wanne said:

I don't want him for the sake of it would seem like the Sox always taking the Cubs sloppy seconds.  Fuck that...

Have some dignity for crap sakes....

I'd agree with you normally, but Joe has turned around the Ray's and Cubs. He would be great for this team, even though his bullpen handling is suspect. To be honest though, his lineups and rotations are significantly better than Rick's. 

That four game sweep by the Cardinals was one of the classic Cub chokes of all time and man was that some enjoyable Fall baseball.

Maddon will be let go at season's end  and he will retire.

Ricketts is too chicken to fire Theo Epstein.  Theo has a lock on that job for as long as he wants it.

2 minutes ago, tray said:

That four game sweep by the Cardinals was one of the classic Cub chokes of all time and man was that some enjoyable Fall baseball.

Maddon will be let go at season's end  and he will retire.

Ricketts is too chicken to fire Theo Epstein.  Theo has a lock on that job for as long as he wants it.

His contract is up.  He will go to the Phillies or Padres.

40 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I'd agree with you normally, but Joe has turned around the Ray's and Cubs. He would be great for this team, even though his bullpen handling is suspect. To be honest though, his lineups and rotations are significantly better than Rick's. 

I don't care.  No. Not taking Cubs sloppy seconds again.  No fucking way! Let him go out to San Diego so he can wear surfer shorts be a rad dude.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Wanne said:

I don't care.  No. Not taking Cubs sloppy seconds again.  No fucking way! Let him go out to San Diego so he can wear surfer shorts be a rad dude.

Padres make a lot of sense after his time spent in Anaheim, less pressure to win and more leeway with the local media.

Seems the Phillies and Cubs are the two teams that would go after a Girardi type.  The Phillies pretty much are forced to be in all-in mode for next season.

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Padres make a lot of sense after his time spent in Anaheim, less pressure to win and more leeway with the local media.

Seems the Phillies and Cubs are the two teams that would go after a Girardi type.  The Phillies pretty much are forced to be in all-in mode for next season.

David Ross to the Cubs is supposedly all but announced.

9 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I love how Sox fans are so picky about managers when the proposed option is much better than our current joke of a manager.  Amazing.

I do think Sox fans want to "like" our manager and for that matter our players.  Maddon is not very likeable.

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

I do think Sox fans want to "like" our manager and for that matter our players.  Maddon is not very likeable.

Did Joey Cora leave on bad terms? He is a former player and coach, speaks Spanish, good amount of experience and would come at a reasonable salary. Still on the younger side for a  manager. Not sure he has been mentioned, though, for many jobs. 

Would like it. His act wears off after some time but he can definitely motivate players. He does make some managing mistakes but overall it isn't that bad. 

He has a quite proven record and averaged like 95 wins with the cubs. This year it was pretty bad but it was also not his fault rizzo, baez and kimbrel all got injured at the same time and most free agents theo signed the last years sucked. 

I think the Cubs are also right to move on from him though, his extreme positivity and motivational act might have worn off and the cubs now might need now less of a players manager like maddon but more of a discipline guy.

13 hours ago, Wanne said:

I don't want him for the sake of it would seem like the Sox always taking the Cubs sloppy seconds.  Fuck that...

Have some dignity for crap sakes....

Who are some of the sloppy second guys from Cubs?

I can think of Phil Cavaretta and Don Kessinger off the top of my head.  Who else?  Besides Ricky, of course.

Edited by oldsox